An interesting comparison..

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I think we have as good a chance as anyone. my doubt regards us is that we don't seem to have that cutting edge that is often needed for the long haul. We often sit off people and let them play against us. I know that doing so is often their downfall but it is becoming less regular as teams know us better now. We also have players in our team that, if not in the thick of it for long periods, often switch off totally. Denilson and Diaby are two of the biggest offenders for this.
We need to be more ruthless at times and dish out some of what we get. You take a game like yesterday. Everton pressed us constantly when in possession. When they had the ball we stood off them. We should have pushed them as hard as we were pushed. I'm sure they would have tired earlier if they never got a second to dwell on the ball. We have the fitness in individuals to do this. Once teams begin to tire then we can go for the kill by bringing one or two creative players off the bench. Just as we did at West Ham. Obviously it would be better to start with a stronger team than we did against WH but still have the option of bringing the likes of Nasri & diaby off the bench.

I think this championship will ultimately come down to know-how. Unfortunately that is what we currently lack. We're still just a bit too niaive at times. I have to say though, whilst this season has had its frustrations (and some utter shite as well) we have performed much better than I expected us to back in August. This is why so many people on here are so negative at times. We can all see we are not far away from being an outstanding team. We can also see a reluctance to push that final five yards as well. Arsenal need to overcome what is rapidly becoming seen by many supporters as a fear of succeeding. Only then can this team go on to acheive the greatness they occasionally show us.

littlefire

Post by littlefire »

Great post Spud. The thing is we STARTED THE SEASON by pressing and hustling when not in possession. What happened to it? :evil:

Nos89

An interesting comparison

Post by Nos89 »

I reckon that if we have 50 points on the board by the time we play Chavski then the titles ours as we will have 13 (or 14 depends on when we play Bolton home) games in which 10/11 are winnable for this squad. Only Liverpool and Man City home, and Spuds away are the difficult games.

Compare that to both Chavski and Manure fixtures we have got a definite advantage.

lagerisgood1981

Re: An interesting comparison

Post by lagerisgood1981 »

Nos89 wrote:I reckon that if we have 50 points on the board by the time we play Chavski then the titles ours as we will have 13 (or 14 depends on when we play Bolton home) games in which 10/11 are winnable for this squad. Only Liverpool and Man City home, and Spuds away are the difficult games.

Compare that to both Chavski and Manure fixtures we have got a definite advantage.
Spuds difficult - are you serious? We always beat the scum!! .......

Interesting post and replies.

In summary everyone should still be optimistic, as were halfway through the season, still right in there. Until were 8 points adrift it can still be done.

No one gave us a hope of coming back into it, when we lost 3-0 to the chavs but yet we quietly sneaked back in there.

Were constantly billed as challenging for 4th place, which seriously pisses me off!