Wenger has got to go!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
kgw129

Wenger has got to go!

Post by kgw129 »

These performances against the likes of Man Utd and Chavski are becoming bloody embarassing! Did anybody see the way in which Alan Hansen was taking the piss out of our defending against Man Utd on MOTD? He called Clichy's defending for the third goal the worst that he has seen in over 30 years of watching football. And who can argue with him?

Like I said on this forum after our defeats to Man Utd in The Champions League and to Chavski in The FA Cup last season - Arsene Wenger has got to go! The general view then however seemed to be that he deserved more time to deliver his "project". In my opinion the likes of Almunia, Clichy and Denilson, who all had shocking games against Man Utd, will never be the finished article. Wenger's blind optimisism for these kinds of players is as baffling as it is laughable.

We have got some good players which could form the basis of an excellent team - Arshavin, Fabregas, Van Persie to name a few. However we do not play as a team but as a collection of individuals, they are not motivated - the first half of games sometimes resembles a training excercise, they are not organised and some of the defending would embarass a Sunday League team.

These failings are not due to a lack of resources but are down to the manager rather than the players. The likes of Almunia, Clichy (to be fair to him he does not look fit) and Denilson (to be fair to him he is just shit!) do not ask to be selected - it is the manager who selects them and the responsibillity for their ineptitude, along with the ever unpopular Eboue (personally I do not mind him), must lie solely with the manager.

Probably not many will agree with me that the time has come for Wenger to go, but surely most can agree that the time has come to stop the unbridled and unquestionsing support that he currently seems to enjoy?

At the very least he needs to be asked some very serious questions. For example when does he expect to see his "project" reach fruition? How much longer? 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? How much longer is acceptable to wait for the success (i.e. trophies) that we are promised?

If, as Wenger suggests, we are a "work in progress" then why does the manager "give away" the likes of The FA Cup and The Carling Cup year after year when surely they are the best chances of a trophy for a developing team? Wouldn't that first trophy be an important stepping stone for a developing team and give them the confidence to progress and achieve greater success?

The manner in which they are given away by fielding deliberately weakened teams has got nothing to do with a lack of resources but more the manager's obsession with resting players, a policy which has been shown time and time again to be flawed. Wenger often moans about the lack of resources and living within your means etc but why does that mean that we can't take a corner, are not organised, especially defensively, are not motivated and start some games as though they are a training excercise? The players only become motivated (or not) by the fashion in which events unfold on the pitch. Go 2-0 down against Bolton and the heads all begin to drop. Get a goal back and suddenly there is a target to chase and they play like a different team and are highly motivated. Why can't the manager motivate them and get them to play like that from the start of the game?

Wenger has lived off past acievements for far too long now. This will just end up being another wasted year and nothing has changed since last year. Play Chavski - get stuffed. Play Man Utd - get stuffed. Something is seriously wrong to get continually stuffed in the same fashion. Does Wenger know what "learn from yuor mistakes means"? Rooney and Drogba score virtually every time that they play against us. Does Wenger work on how to deal with these players on the training ground? It does not appear so and if not then WHY THE HELL NOT?!

We are a side that is a perpetual work in progress - in a year or two they will be world beaters Wenger says. What was his recent quote? "You are only just becoming a man at 23 years of age". Once again laughable excususes! Except that the time never arrives for them to be world beaters and for me it is just a handy excuse for year after year of failure!

4TH PLACE IS NOT BLOODY SUCCESS AND SOMETHING HAS GOT TO CHANGE - NOW!

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Even if people don't agree with your ultimate solution, no-one can disagree that this is a very well constructed and argued post. 8) 8) :lol: :wink:

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

You've made some really good points in there (especially the bit about corners, being individuals rather than a team and being a shambles defensively) - I'm sure this will put a big fat cat firmly amongst the pigeons.

As much as I hate what I saw yesterday, and virtually everything I've seen when we've played ManUre and the Chavs recently - I don't want to see Arsene leave under these circumstances.

I'd much rather see the stubborn old goat admit he was wrong about several players, ship out the shite, search for some more gems like Thomas Vermaelen and worry more about now than his obsession with the future.

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

When Aw's contract up? next summer?
I can't see him renewing it.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:You've made some really good points in there (especially the bit about corners, being individuals rather than a team and being a shambles defensively) - I'm sure this will put a big fat cat firmly amongst the pigeons.

As much as I hate what I saw yesterday, and virtually everything I've seen when we've played ManUre and the Chavs recently - I don't want to see Arsene leave under these circumstances.

I'd much rather see the stubborn old goat admit he was wrong about several players, ship out the shite, search for some more gems like Thomas Vermaelen and worry more about now than his obsession with the future.
I think the vast majority of the 'pessimists/realists' want that also. The question is will he? In reality, and given past form, not very likely. :cry: :lol: :wink:

The DBs

Post by The DBs »

Our worries are over. Ive just seen Arsene go into Spec savers in Whetstone!

mrgnu1958

Post by mrgnu1958 »

Mr.wenger can stay as long he he wishes :barscarf: :barscarf:

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

One of the problems is that the team has not won anything. When United were struggling to win Titles, Ferguson made sure they won the League Cup or FA Cup, to keep the momentum and give the team a belief that they were good enough to win something. Why does Wenger persist with treating these competitions with disdain? United are on course to win the League yet don't seem to struggle with juggling all the competitions. Same with Chelsea. I mean Fergie played a full strength side against City on Weds, would Arsene have against Spurs? No. Thats his failing as a manager.

Sorry Arsene, you are a true legend, but times up methinks.

hatemanu99

Post by hatemanu99 »

The DBs wrote:Our worries are over. Ive just seen Arsene go into Spec savers in Whetstone!
Seriously? At least he's not fooling us into thinking we're buying anyone

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Will we win the League again or the CL if Wenger remains.The answer is no.Will we finish in the top 4?Probably yes.Its what your ambitions are.Our board and Wenger look at a 4th place finish as success.So that is why Wenger can continue to pick up his £4m a year and be under no pressure at all

The rose-tinters are holding onto some mythical belief that this bunch of players bar 3 or 4 are anywhere good enough to win the major trophies.

And anyone who believes we will spend the big money needed to buy quality players is living in cloud cukoo land.We got £41m in the summer from Citeh.So Why wasnt it spend? Because it would upset Project Wenger and kill the careers of average players who were given long term contracts

skipper

Re: Wenger has got to go!

Post by skipper »

kgw129 wrote:
If, as Wenger suggests, we are a "work in progress" then why does the manager "give away" the likes of The FA Cup and The Carling Cup year after year when surely they are the best chances of a trophy for a developing team? Wouldn't that first trophy be an important stepping stone for a developing team and give them the confidence to progress and achieve greater success?
!

4TH PLACE IS NOT BLOODY SUCCESS AND SOMETHING HAS GOT TO CHANGE - NOW!
This bit is absolutely spot on.

Sad thing is, even if Wenger leaves now, it would take any serious manager (Hiddink? Mourhino?) at least 2-3 seasons to sort out this mess that Wenger has got us into.

And we are mess. Since may 2009, we played ManUre and Chelsky 4 times at Emirates and had conceded 13 (yes 'rosetinters' that's THIRTEEN) goals. I can't think of any Arsenal manager in entire history of the club with such poor record.

Time to go Wenger, not in may 2010, not in may 2011 - NOW! :x :cry: :oops: :?

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

I think time is running out for Wenger

jamjc64

Post by jamjc64 »

Did Wenger not say its down to these players to prove to me that they want it and for me to sign a new cotract.
Well Mr Wenger your team of average Al,s have spoken, change your tune , learn to buy proven players that we as fans pay the highest prices for, admit your youth train set aint working or please.

FCUK OFF :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

ive not missed a game home and away for over 15 years but my patience for renewing next season is at an all time low

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

flash gunner wrote:I think time is running out for Wenger
Agreed. Another decade of this and the board might start thinking about a change of manager :roll: :roll: :lol:

tel

Post by tel »

donaldo wrote:Will we win the League again or the CL if Wenger remains.The answer is no.Will we finish in the top 4?Probably yes.Its what your ambitions are.Our board and Wenger look at a 4th place finish as success.So that is why Wenger can continue to pick up his £4m a year and be under no pressure at all

The rose-tinters are holding onto some mythical belief that this bunch of players bar 3 or 4 are anywhere good enough to win the major trophies.

And anyone who believes we will spend the big money needed to buy quality players is living in cloud cukoo land.We got £41m in the summer from Citeh.So Why wasnt it spend? Because it would upset Project Wenger and kill the careers of average players who were given long term contracts
Good post mate. I'm fed up with 3rd or 4th being dressed up as success by the manager and the board. Ticket prices are so bloody steep that we deserve better than having to watch Almunia and Denilson. If as I expect he does nothing today then he deserves all of the flak coming his way. The board will never sack him as it will expose their own shortcomings but I believe Arsene no longer knows and hasn't done for sometime sadly. :(