Pat Rice - “The Yes Manâ€

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbankbren

Pat Rice - “The Yes Manâ€

Post by northbankbren »

Now the glaring holes that we all see in Wenger’s strategy have been discussed continuously on this forum for a few years now. And many would agree that at times it seems Wenger just doesn’t see what the rest of the world does (the holding midfielder argument is the best example) or he is too stubborn to admit he got it wrong.

Is this not where the assistant manager comes in?

What input does Rice have?

You would think that he would be the man to say “no Arseneâ€

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

Impossible to know how it works behind the scenes but any time you see the 2 of them on the bench, invariably Wenger’s moaning in Rice’s ear :shock: & PR just stares straight ahead before giving a little nod of the head.

Either way though, whether it’s a case of PR not telling Wenger what he needs to hear or Wenger just choosing not to listen & ignoring it, Wenger’s got to take responsibility for that. One thing Fergusc*nt’s always done well is admit his own failings & weaknesses (to himself) & appoint a strong number 2 who has the attributes to make up for those shortfalls. And he’s then not afraid to delegate a fair amount of power to them.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

I'm afraid we have discussed this subject umpteen times, but at the end of the day the buck stops with Wenger.
If utd had a bad season no one pointed the finger at mc claren or queiroz. So why should we involve Pat Rice in our current predicament?

hatemanu99

Post by hatemanu99 »

Wenger of all managers should know that the best business leaders are those who surround themselves with people who excel at the things they themselves don't. Wenger is a micro-manager who wants to control absolutely every aspect of the team.

augie

Post by augie »

Cannot understand the pat rice bashing that goes on around here :shock: I am not saying the guy is doing a great job or not but most of us are all too aware that wenger will only do what wenger wants to do and maybe rice knows this by now and just lets him ramble on during the game instead of making any suggestions ?

Monostich

Post by Monostich »

I always thought that Pat Rice was a very knowledgable (excuse my spelling!) member of staff, aren't I right?

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Why is it all Rice' fault? No one here knows how he is involved day to day... I think its easier to blame him than AW :roll:

Number 5

Post by Number 5 »

I think the only thing Wenger would listen to is statistic's.

As long as a player like Denilson has an x percentage pass interception rate, or Diaby covers x amount of ground in the game any one of the coaches going up to him and saying So and so is not good enough isn't going to make a jot of difference.

The most recent time I recall something like that occuring was before we signed Sagna and it was put to Wenger that x amount of the goals we conceed came from down the right hand side of the pitch, which he was statistically unable to refute and so had to agree that a more defensively aware right back was needed.

I'm not sure if opinions mean as much to Wenger as that fucking Opta chart he keeps in his office.

:?

blocknineteen

Post by blocknineteen »

Who are you lot going to start blaming next? The Hot dog seller outside Arsenal Tube?

REB

Post by REB »

pat rice is an arsenal legend so leave him be ffs, he doesnt pick the team or not buy a player :roll: or pick a clown in goal every fecking week :?

no. 1 is Perry Groves....

Post by no. 1 is Perry Groves.... »

i think Wenger is far too stubborn to listen regardless of what Pat Rice says.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:Why is it all Rice' fault? No one here knows how he is involved day to day... I think its easier to blame him than AW :roll:
100% agree. Where did this "oh it's all Pat Rice's fault" bollocks come from? Rosetinters maybe? Anything to divert the blame from Wenger? I dunno.

But I do know there is not one poster on here that has any idea what goes on behind the scenes at Arsenal.

Maybe he is weak, maybe he is strong, who knows? None of us, that's for sure.
:roll:

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

I wasn't trying to bash Rice at all. I love the guy (not in that way :oops: :wink: ). And dont blame him for our situation, i blame the players.

I was just wondering how much influence he has over Wenger?

I was wondering whether he'd ever agrue his point with Wenger?

Do they disagree often?

Do we think Rice just like Wenger doesnt see what everyone else does?

If he does and isnt listened to, why stay in the job?

Yes man?

Post by 1989 »

He's very much the yes man and is only there to agree with whatever Wenger does. If Wenger fucks off (hopefully soon) I would like Pat to follow him out of the door. We need to freshen things up no more youth development bullshit get rid of the old farts in the boardroom, bring in a proper manager with a tactically astute number 2; we need everyone doing their bit to ensure the team is successful.

mrgnu1958

Post by mrgnu1958 »

i blame those fecking thieving catering crunts :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: