Highbury Harold is calling . . .a time for Action?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
charliegeorgewhocanhitem

Post by charliegeorgewhocanhitem »

Vlad III wrote:
Block91Broox wrote:A lot of people are gonna look like c**** if we win the league this year. I think many Arsenal fans won't want us to win it for fear of looking stupid.

That's a sad predicament to be in.
This is spot on!

The millitant way some of you lot go on about how shit we are and wanting Wenger to be sacked, will indeed make you look like a c**t if we won the league! How can you be so anti something all season and then jump on the bandwagon at the end?

I would also put money on the fact that if we did win the league there would be people on here that would bemoan the quality of the opposition and say we won it by default.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: What a load of fucking bollocks, I would love to be wrong about our chances of winning the league this season and the more egg on my face as I'm celebrating the better as far as I'm concerned. Nobody here who's realistic/pessimistic about our chances and the way things in general are going with the club actually wants us to lose or not win the league and if you think that then you're the *word censored* mate. We all want Arsenal FC to win everything every year, that's why we're here but some of us are more realistic/pragmatic or just plain old fuckers who've seen different times and might have a few whinges to air. When I say different times, I don't just mean winning leagues and cups, I just preferred the times we had in the past when we were shit. as opposed to the wonderful "matchday experience" we get now at the concrete bowl when we're shit. We have no right to win the league or anything else every season and we have to take and accept the shit seasons and believe me in the mid 70s and for most of the 80s it was fucking dire but if I think it's shit now I will moan and whinge if I want to, the ridiculously high price I pay for my season ticket gives me the right if nothing else. That does'nt mean it does'nt hurt that we're shit or bollocks and if we win the league this season :roll: :lol: then I'll gladly feel like a "*word censored*" as I'm celebrating after :roll:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Well said Chas

augie

Post by augie »

Well said but wasting your time saying it mate :( The vlad has no comprehension of anything that differs in any way from his own opinion and will not hear a bad word said about anything or anybody Arsenal related :roll: I have had some debates on here with rose tinters in my time and most are genuine guys that will argue their point with you all day long but in a rational way but there are a few, and it appears that vlad is one such person, that they are incapable of having a reasoned debate with anybody :roll: Must be an age thing I guess :wink:

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Yeah, it's definitely an age thing. You are getting a bit senile now augie!!! :oops: :lol: :lol: :wink:

charliegeorgewhocanhitem

Post by charliegeorgewhocanhitem »

Cheers fellas, it still hurts to this day that we lost the 72 FA cup final to fucking Leeds and the 73 FA cup semi to Sunderland :lol: :lol: :lol: so how anyone can say that I actually want us to lose now is beyond me :? :lol:

Reg Niseth

Post by Reg Niseth »

charliegeorgewhocanhitem wrote:
Vlad III wrote:
Block91Broox wrote:A lot of people are gonna look like c**** if we win the league this year. I think many Arsenal fans won't want us to win it for fear of looking stupid.

That's a sad predicament to be in.
This is spot on!

The millitant way some of you lot go on about how shit we are and wanting Wenger to be sacked, will indeed make you look like a c**t if we won the league! How can you be so anti something all season and then jump on the bandwagon at the end?

I would also put money on the fact that if we did win the league there would be people on here that would bemoan the quality of the opposition and say we won it by default.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: What a load of fucking bollocks, I would love to be wrong about our chances of winning the league this season and the more egg on my face as I'm celebrating the better as far as I'm concerned. Nobody here who's realistic/pessimistic about our chances and the way things in general are going with the club actually wants us to lose or not win the league and if you think that then you're the c**t mate. We all want Arsenal FC to win everything every year, that's why we're here but some of us are more realistic/pragmatic or just plain old fuckers who've seen different times and might have a few whinges to air. When I say different times, I don't just mean winning leagues and cups, I just preferred the times we had in the past when we were shit. as opposed to the wonderful "matchday experience" we get now at the concrete bowl when we're shit. We have no right to win the league or anything else every season and we have to take and accept the shit seasons and believe me in the mid 70s and for most of the 80s it was fucking dire but if I think it's shit now I will moan and whinge if I want to, the ridiculously high price I pay for my season ticket gives me the right if nothing else. That does'nt mean it does'nt hurt that we're shit or bollocks and if we win the league this season :roll: :lol: then I'll gladly feel like a "c**t" as I'm celebrating after :roll:
:banghead: bravo chas

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

away days in the Prem/CL can be just as great as ever

Vlad III

Post by Vlad III »

The way I look at it is; if I'm Arsene Wenger would I want some wanker who has been calling me to join the dole queue all year, to then come up and shake my hand and say well done if we won the league? I'm sure Arsene is a much bigger man than I and a gentleman, but I would tell you to fuck off! I don't understand why people can't get that? It's not a hard concept. Your being about as fickle as you can get, if you think it's ok to endorse protests against the manager one minute and then kiss his arse the next!

Kiwi Gooner

Post by Kiwi Gooner »

I'm all for Arsenal, too.
But there's no doubt, in this brave new corporate world, that fans are far more likely to criticise their own nowadays.
I think it's a combination of rising ticket/merchandise prices and the feeling that club's are taking them for granted.
All I can say (and I'm sure I'll be accused of being a "rose-tinter") is that since I became a Gooner in '77 we have progressed further than any other British football club, with the exception of McDonald$ Utd.
Arsenal were on a par with the Spuds, Coventrys and Evertons in those days. We finished 12 points behind Forest that season ffs.
We hadn't won the league in seven years and would wait another 12 years till we did.
I loved those days before advertising on shirts and all that shite.
Oddly enough, when we started winning regularly in the late'90s, you suddenly started seeing all these Arsenal shirts everywhere.
I f*king hated that!!
This was MY club.
Where they feck were they when the Chapmans, Selleys and Ian Healeys were slipping all over Highbury in the '70s?
I think Gooners since the mid-'90s have been spoiled and have unrealistic expectations.
I love it when we win stuff (Absolutely LOVE it!!!)
But Arsenal to me is a whole hell of a lot more than what did we win this season.
I'm really proud of what we've done since '77 and even more grateful for the ride.
Up The Gunners!
:barscarf:

djhdjh

Post by djhdjh »

Vlad III wrote:The way I look at it is; if I'm Arsene Wenger would I want some wanker who has been calling me to join the dole queue all year, to then come up and shake my hand and say well done if we won the league? I'm sure Arsene is a much bigger man than I and a gentleman, but I would tell you to fuck off! I don't understand why people can't get that? It's not a hard concept. Your being about as fickle as you can get, if you think it's ok to endorse protests against the manager one minute and then kiss his arse the next!
So no one may ever protest on the odd chance things turn around???

Look if we win Wenger will deserve much congratulation for somehow winning the Premiership with a squad full of average players without a clue how to defend properly. It would be a brilliant achievement. It doesn't mean that there aren't things to be addressed and it doesn't mean people weren't right to point out various failings. Bottom line is he hasn't done it yet and until he does he's open to criticism. We've waited 4 years for a trophy, that is a lot of patience for a club which has gone backwards in that time and was equal best in the country over the previous 8 years.

Vlad III

Post by Vlad III »

Dear me!

If you think that this is a club that is in the need of fan protests, then you should have a word with yourself. Have a look at Portsmouth, Leeds, Chester and Crystal Palace. There's absolutely nothing in the rules that says Arsenal can't go the same way (despite what some people on here think).

4 years is not alot of patience at all. Again, look around the league and you will find teams that have won sweet F all for over 100 years. Thats patience! There is absolutely no justification for protests about the manager. He is not immune from criticism by any means, but he does not deserve that level of disrespect. WE are 3rd in the league! FFS!

Edited for awful spelling!

Kiwi Gooner

Post by Kiwi Gooner »

Hear, hear, Vlad III.
:barscarf:

selsdon

Post by selsdon »

All I can say (and I'm sure I'll be accused of being a "rose-tinter") is that since I became a Gooner in '77 we have progressed further than any other British football club, with the exception of McDonald$ Utd.

Lol, you really are under the impression that Arsene Wenger made Arsenal FC aren't you?

Prior to your becoming a gooner in '77 we had won the title eight times, won it five since.

How can you say we've progressed more than any other club other than Utd since '77?

Liverpool won the league eight times in that period, the European Cup five times and dominated English and European football for over a decade in the 80s.

We have never been a par with Tottenham and Everton as you claim (briefly maybe for short periods of time granted) but historically, from as early as the 1930s, we have always had much higher expectantions than these clubs.

Arsenal FC was around way before Wenger was even born and will be around long after he's gone.

Herbert Chapman was the most revolutionary and influential manager in Arsenal's history, not a certain Frenchman as many would have you believe.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

selsdon wrote:All I can say (and I'm sure I'll be accused of being a "rose-tinter") is that since I became a Gooner in '77 we have progressed further than any other British football club, with the exception of McDonald$ Utd.

Lol, you really are under the impression that Arsene Wenger made Arsenal FC aren't you?

Prior to your becoming a gooner in '77 we had won the title eight times, won it five since.

How can you say we've progressed more than any other club other than Utd since '77?

Liverpool won the league eight times in that period, the European Cup five times and dominated English and European football for over a decade in the 80s.

We have never been a par with Tottenham and Everton as you claim (briefly maybe for short periods of time granted) but historically, from as early as the 1930s, we have always had much higher expectantions than these clubs.

Arsenal FC was around way before Wenger was even born and will be around long after he's gone.

Herbert Chapman was the most revolutionary and influential manager in Arsenal's history, not a certain Frenchman as many would have you believe.
He's been a gooner since 77' and you reckon he thinks AW made AFC?

What are you on?

selsdon

Post by selsdon »

Read ALL his posts.

He believes Arsene Wenger made us the club we are, that he became a gooner in 1977 is incidental.