Highbury Harold is calling . . .a time for Action?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

selsdon wrote:Read ALL his posts.

He believes Arsene Wenger made us the club we are, that he became a gooner in 1977 is incidental.
Oh I see, because he happens to think AW has done brilliant things for this club he isnt a real fan and clearly has no understanding of our history?

I dont like throwing around insults but there is no other way to describe that then retarded.

selsdon

Post by selsdon »

Where they feck were they when the Chapmans, Selleys and Ian Healeys were slipping all over Highbury in the '70s?

He's at least a decade out there with Chapman and Selley and I'm trying hard to place an Ian Healey.

Previous posts of his ignore our Cup Finals of the 78-80, ignore everything GG done for the club, slagged off Howe and Rioch.

He became a gooner in '77. Believes Wenger put us on the map. Two seperate facts.

selsdon

Post by selsdon »

Oh I see, because he happens to think AW has done brilliant things for this club he isnt a real fan and clearly has no understanding of our history

Where did I say he wasn't a real fan? I don't believe he has an understanding of our history no. And he's quite obviously incorrect in his assertion that only Utd have progressed further than us since 1977.

Retarded they may be but they are my views.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Vlad III wrote:The way I look at it is; if I'm Arsene Wenger would I want some wanker who has been calling me to join the dole queue all year, to then come up and shake my hand and say well done if we won the league? I'm sure Arsene is a much bigger man than I and a gentleman, but I would tell you to fuck off! I don't understand why people can't get that? It's not a hard concept. Your being about as fickle as you can get, if you think it's ok to endorse protests against the manager one minute and then kiss his arse the next!
I think this post sums up the big misconception alot of so called "rosetinters" have about the so called "realists" on here. Only a minority of "realists" on here endorse protests against the manager (and that is their right), most "realists" will complain but are willing to see the season through behind Wenger.

Come May 2010 and still no silverware and the team/squad is still as weak after the summer, then I feel the numbers behind Wenger will dwindle... As that is probably the bigger concern; not the lack of trophies (we've been through trophy droughts before). It's the lack of any discernable effort by Wenger to strengthen the squad and thus enable us to really challenge.

Kiwi Gooner

Post by Kiwi Gooner »

Heh. Excitable lot, aren't you...
For sure Herbert put us on the map.
He was a visionary (Floodlights, under-soil heating, etc)
Bertie Mee was also a great Arsenal manager.
But in my opinion Arsene has done as much in recent times.
I stand by my view that we have progressed more than any English club, bar Man u (with their chequebook), since the '70s.
Liverpool, for example, were a much bigger club than us then.
They're not any more.
I think what Arsene Wenger has done for us is extraordinary.
He has raised our expectations.
Disagree?
Fair enough...

selsdon

Post by selsdon »

My expectation at the beginning of this year was a top four place.

That's what Arsene Wenger has done to my expectations.

Still, nice stadium, great profits and an absolutely cracking set of transfer results.

ooh to be a gooner....

Kiwi Gooner

Post by Kiwi Gooner »

Yeah, me too, bro.
Actually, I was (optimistically) hoping to win it!
As I do every year...
:banghead:

GoonerJim

Post by GoonerJim »

Kiwi Gooner wrote:Heh. Excitable lot, aren't you...
For sure Herbert put us on the map.
He was a visionary (Floodlights, under-soil heating, etc)
Bertie Mee was also a great Arsenal manager.
But in my opinion Arsene has done as much in recent times.
I stand by my view that we have progressed more than any English club, bar Man u (with their chequebook), since the '70s.
Liverpool, for example, were a much bigger club than us then.
They're not any more.
I think what Arsene Wenger has done for us is extraordinary.
He has raised our expectations.
Disagree?
Fair enough...
Liverpool have still won the european cup despite you believing they are smaller than us (which they arent if you look at overseas fan base and income from merchandising)

Wenger has raised our expectations however there are things that can no longer go unchallenged. We are paying for the most expensive tickets in Western Europe! How can we be expected to go to match after match when for example the FA Cup is no longer a priority (yet season ticket holders still have it added to their ticket prices)?? How can they expect us to keep paying top money when we dont see that reflected on the pitch or in the transfer market (Arshavin and Vermaelen aside) It was clear we needed signings in January and it was neglected and ultimately if we do not win anything at the end of the season the buck stops with the Board and Wenger. In my opinion the club are seriously taking our support for granted and mark my words the grumblings are starting to get louder. I dont think anyone is asking for mega star signings just ones that can come in and do a job and add experience to the current team - is that so much to ask?

For the last few years Wengers sales of players has paid for new signings without him even touching the transfer kitty in each respective season and so here is my question - WHERE HAS ALL THAT MONEY GONE??

GoonerJim

Post by GoonerJim »

Vlad III wrote:Dear me!

If you think that this is a club that is in the need of fan protests, then you should have a word with yourself. Have a look at Portsmouth, Leeds, Chester and Crystal Palace. There's absolutely nothing in the rules that says Arsenal can't go the same way (despite what some people on here think).

4 years is not alot of patience at all. Again, look around the league and you will find teams that have won sweet F all for over 100 years. Thats patience! There is absolutely no justification for protests about the manager. He is not immune from criticism by any means, but he does not deserve that level of disrespect. WE are 3rd in the league! FFS!

Edited for awful spelling!
Remind us all why we moved stadium AND remind us what the board said about our spending not going to be hindered by debt having once moved there. Wenger has raised our expectations and now thanks to the price of tickets we want to see results for the money we are paying.
Two seasons ago we were in a position to win the league and since then we have regressed and that is criminal and should never have been allowed to happen.
As for you stating that we are third in the league are you implying that a club that Wenger has transformed into a supposed major european footballing power should be happy with that position. No one remembers the also rans.

augie

Post by augie »

If you think that this is a club that is in the need of fan protests, then you should have a word with yourself. Have a look at Portsmouth, Leeds, Chester and Crystal Palace. There's absolutely nothing in the rules that says Arsenal can't go the same way (despite what some people on here think).

4 years is not alot of patience at all. Again, look around the league and you will find teams that have won sweet F all for over 100 years. Thats patience! There is absolutely no justification for protests about the manager. He is not immune from criticism by any means, but he does not deserve that level of disrespect. WE are 3rd in the league! FFS!

Vlad the disenchantment that I personally am feeling is not because we are on the verge of going five full seasons without silverware and I feel that is too easy an opt out for the rose-tinters to throw that accusation at fans like me. Put basically this team and squad has regressed alarmingly over the past few seasons to the point that it is accepted that at most only 2 or 3 from this current team would make the starting 11 of The Invinceables :( You might argue that comparing any side to that 2004 team is unfair and to a point I will agree with you but what I am doing is comparing the individuals (not the team) and imo I believe that only cesc would get his place in that team (with sagna running ralph close) and that is a poor indictment of our current standards.

I have two major gripes with wenger and I keep saying this - one is that he will not spend money improving our team and the second is that he seems unable to see how poor some of our current players are :shock: That he has point blank refused to see, what some of us have seen for 18 months now, that average al is nowhere near good enough and replaced him is shameful by anybodys standards and I do not buy this bollox about wenger knowing more than the rest of us when it comes to this clown :roll: I name almunia simply cos he is the most obvious one but he certainly aint the only one and wenger's continued purchase of midgets is unbelieveable :x

Anyway DB10 says that he believes most Gooners are willing to wait until may to judge wenger but that day is nearly upon us now and realistically I cant see anything changing. If we have the money and wont spend then wenger has to go

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Fuck me that was longer than war and peace :shock: Need to shave again now :lol:

Good read though :wink:

Block91Broox

Post by Block91Broox »

Well it seems I have ruffled a few feathers however my comments are aimed at those who want Wenger out now.

On a few forums I have heard things like 'I hope we get hammered so Wenger will do something about it' & 'Why can't we get a manager who will spend £30-40m on one player, screw the consequences'

Arsene Wenger is a genius and it his running of the club, which puts us in a very strong financial situation, ensures that 'our' club will be there to watch in years to come. I also am desperate for trophies that I have got so used to winning, but not so desperate that the club gets into further debt and certainly not desperate enough just to appease the callings from 'experts' and rag top hacks. I trust Wengers judgement over theirs every time.

Any 'group' set up to get him out can go f**k itself as far as I am concerned.

GoonerJim

Post by GoonerJim »

Block91Broox wrote:Well it seems I have ruffled a few feathers however my comments are aimed at those who want Wenger out now.

On a few forums I have heard things like 'I hope we get hammered so Wenger will do something about it' & 'Why can't we get a manager who will spend £30-40m on one player, screw the consequences'

Arsene Wenger is a genius and it his running of the club, which puts us in a very strong financial situation, ensures that 'our' club will be there to watch in years to come. I also am desperate for trophies that I have got so used to winning, but not so desperate that the club gets into further debt and certainly not desperate enough just to appease the callings from 'experts' and rag top hacks. I trust Wengers judgement over theirs every time.

Wenger is NOT the clubs financial advisor - he is the manager.
Like i said before the board have fed us a LIE - the move to the new stadium despite the debt was supposed to have no effect on transfer finances for the manager according to them.
Just remember one thing aswell, No person no matter who they are is bigger than Arsenal Football Club.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

augie wrote:

Vlad the disenchantment that I personally am feeling is not because we are on the verge of going five full seasons without silverware and I feel that is too easy an opt out for the rose-tinters to throw that accusation at fans like me. Put basically this team and squad has regressed alarmingly over the past few seasons to the point that it is accepted that at most only 2 or 3 from this current team would make the starting 11 of The Invinceables :( You might argue that comparing any side to that 2004 team is unfair and to a point I will agree with you but what I am doing is comparing the individuals (not the team) and imo I believe that only cesc would get his place in that team (with sagna running ralph close) and that is a poor indictment of our current standards.

I have two major gripes with wenger and I keep saying this - one is that he will not spend money improving our team and the second is that he seems unable to see how poor some of our current players are :shock: That he has point blank refused to see, what some of us have seen for 18 months now, that average al is nowhere near good enough and replaced him is shameful by anybodys standards and I do not buy this bollox about wenger knowing more than the rest of us when it comes to this clown :roll: I name almunia simply cos he is the most obvious one but he certainly aint the only one and wenger's continued purchase of midgets is unbelieveable :x

Anyway DB10 says that he believes most Gooners are willing to wait until may to judge wenger but that day is nearly upon us now and realistically I cant see anything changing. If we have the money and wont spend then wenger has to go
Good post Augie

Block91Broox

Post by Block91Broox »

GoonerJim wrote:
Block91Broox wrote:Well it seems I have ruffled a few feathers however my comments are aimed at those who want Wenger out now.

Wenger is NOT the clubs financial advisor - he is the manager.
Like i said before the board have fed us a LIE - the move to the new stadium despite the debt was supposed to have no effect on transfer finances for the manager according to them.
Just remember one thing as well, No person no matter who they are is bigger than Arsenal Football Club.
Yes, he is not the financial advisor but he does have a financial responsibility.

Look at Harry Redknapp at Pompey, he ran the clubs wage bill at 95% of turnover, won them the FA Cup then did a slippery one out the door.

No matter how much we spend we will never be able to compete for players with Chelsea, Man City, Barca & Real because they have no financial restraints.

So if you cannot compete what do you do? You get the best young players and make them into a team which can compete, at that point you make 1-2 signings a year which improve the team.

The only other thing you can do is sell out to an Uzbekistan Baby-boiling murderer and lose the very soul of the one thing that is bigger than everything else.....the club.