Henry - I want Cesc to stay

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Vince

Henry - I want Cesc to stay

Post by Vince »

Arsenal's all-time leading goalscorer, was himself lured away from north London three years ago and while he said he would like to see Fabregas remain, he admitted it would be understandable if the 23-year-old returned to his homeland.

"It is hard because the guy is from Barcelona. I wouldn't like to be in his shoes that's all I can say,'' Henry told Radio Five's Sportsweek programme.

"I wouldn't like to be in his position because he is from there and he loves Arsenal. I don't know what to say about this, because I don't want to talk for him.

"But as an Arsenal fan, for me, I want him to stay at Arsenal, but I would also understand if he goes back home.''

Henry is preparing to begin a new chapter in his life after he signed for Major League Soccer side the New York Red Bulls this week.

The 32-year-old is likely to finish his career in the United States after he signed a "multi-year deal'', but revealed when his playing days are over he would like to return to the Emirates Stadium in some capacity.

"What I want to do is when I retire, I don't know how, but I want to come back to Arsenal,'' he said, "I have just come here (New York) to play and to compete and win another title.

"After everything is done then I will think about it. Whatever it is I want to come back (to Arsenal), maybe as a waterboy, I just love this club.''

Coincidentally, Henry's first game for New York could be against the Gunners' north-London rivals Tottenham, with the teams to meet in a pre-season friendly on Thursday.

"I'm trying to get back in shape (for the match),'' Henry said. "I've not done much since the World Cup. I don't think I will play long, but we will see.''
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 39&cc=5739

:barscarf: :barscarf:

Post by 1989 »

Tired of saying it but again, what a legend.

Only One Tony Adams

Post by Only One Tony Adams »

TH14 back where he belongs back with us as a coach or waterboy!!!
Yes please....... :barscarf: :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

1989 wrote:Tired of saying it but again, what a legend.
Absolutely Mate 101% Legend..... :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

i see the solution to a huge problem here

he can play in goal

safe hands Henry

:D

augie

Post by augie »

Not sure there is anything to rave about in that piece - he hasnt told cesc to stay and how could he after flirting with barca for 18 months before he went there himself. If you actually think about what he has said is that while he hopes cesc stays he also understands why cesc wants to go back there as it is his home - most of us fans want him to stay but can understand why he wants to leave too :roll: Could it not be perceived as henry defending cesc's wish to return to barca and making the excuse for him before he leaves ?

perry groves was a legend

Post by perry groves was a legend »

Begkamp and Henry(when he retires) should be coaches at arsenal as well as Keown and Seaman but that would be just too logical.

Dan_85

Re: Henry - I want Cesc to stay

Post by Dan_85 »

"But as an Arsenal fan, for me, I want him to stay at Arsenal''
:bowing21: :barscarf: Ledge.

CelticTiger

Post by CelticTiger »

Thierry > God

DanielD

Post by DanielD »

God wrote:"After everything is done then I will think about it. Whatever it is I want to come back (to Arsenal), maybe as a waterboy, I just love this club.''
You can't not love him.. :barscarf: :barscarf:

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

Window ledge legoland legend

:shock:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:Not sure there is anything to rave about in that piece - he hasnt told cesc to stay and how could he after flirting with barca for 18 months before he went there himself. If you actually think about what he has said is that while he hopes cesc stays he also understands why cesc wants to go back there as it is his home - most of us fans want him to stay but can understand why he wants to leave too :roll: Could it not be perceived as henry defending cesc's wish to return to barca and making the excuse for him before he leaves ?
Why would he do that though? :? - I can't imagine they're that close, so I doubt he'd feel a need to get involved for Cesc's sake - so surely it's just an innocent comment?

All he really said was that he'd like Cesc to stay but would understand if he wanted to go home....

I don't see a reason to spin those comments. Just take them at face value. After all, it's an opinion that I and many others share.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

augie wrote:Not sure there is anything to rave about in that piece - he hasnt told cesc to stay and how could he after flirting with barca for 18 months before he went there himself. If you actually think about what he has said is that while he hopes cesc stays he also understands why cesc wants to go back there as it is his home - most of us fans want him to stay but can understand why he wants to leave too :roll: Could it not be perceived as henry defending cesc's wish to return to barca and making the excuse for him before he leaves ?
some people love being grumpy bastards :roll: :lol:

Still, Henry always finds a way of making his legend status bigger.
HENRY IS A FUCKIN LEDGE

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

g88ner wrote:
Why would he do that though? :? - I can't imagine they're that close, so I doubt he'd feel a need to get involved for Cesc's sake - so surely it's just an innocent comment?

All he really said was that he'd like Cesc to stay but would understand if he wanted to go home....

I don't see a reason to spin those comments. Just take them at face value. After all, it's an opinion that I and many others share.
Henry and Cesc have the same agent.

There is therefore a possibility that Henry's comments are a PR move intended to smooth any possible transfer.

There is also a chance they are just genuine comments.

No way of knowing.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

QuartzGooner wrote:
g88ner wrote:

Henry and Cesc have the same agent.

There is therefore a possibility that Henry's comments are a PR move intended to smooth any possible transfer.

There is also a chance they are just genuine comments.

No way of knowing.
Well, I suppose if they have the same agent, then that's going to get the conspiracy theorists, and those who like a story, jumping up like meerkats... but I'm still inclined to believe there's no story here - it's an innocent and genuine comment.

He's an Arsenal man, and I'm just not convinced Henry would do that sort of thing - especially when it's almost certain Cesc will be staying anyway.

But either way, what he said was pretty basic stuff really. He hopes he stays but could understand if h wanted to go home - heard that said many times by fellow gooners, and it's an opinion I share too.

But, as you say - no way of knowing.
Last edited by g88ner on Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.