Who is the Biggest Team in Europe?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Arsenal
20%
Liverpool
No votes
Real Madrid
48%
Barcelona
33%
Ajax
No votes
Bayern Munich
No votes
AC Milan
No votes
Internazionale
No votes
Juventus
No votes

Total votes: 40

Kiki

Post by Kiki »

All this talk about it being Man Utd recently. So here is a list of Clubs from across Europe who are all Big Club's but who do you think is the biggest and why?

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Real Madrid.

Massive History.
Impressive stadium.
Star Players in line up.
King Midas manager (even if I dislike him personally).
Worldwide fanbase.

and most consistently of all,

Money.

Regardless of their balance sheet they always seem to get funds from the banks.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Agree with everything Quartz has listed above.

An iconic club who have dominated the Cup with the big ears since its creation with legends of the game for decades. Every Madrid team I can remember has had THE player of that generation be it Ronaldo, Zidane and now the new Ronaldo

In my view there's not a lot to dislike about them, unlike their bitter, envious Catalan cousins

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

SteveO 35 wrote:Agree with everything Quartz has listed above.

An iconic club who have dominated the Cup with the big ears since its creation with legends of the game for decades. Every Madrid team I can remember has had THE player of that generation be it Ronaldo, Zidane and now the new Ronaldo

In my view there's not a lot to dislike about them, unlike their bitter, envious Catalan cousins
Used to dislike them a lot because of their historical links with Franco and how much he screwed their Catalan cousins till they started arrogantly poaching players in a Real Madrid 'contract,what contract' type of way. Now I hate the Catalans with a passion.

Biggest club in the world for fan base would probably be United, Madrid for brand but anyone who's been to any country in the far east would tell you, if Liverpool could get back to their success of the 70s and 80s they would dwarf the other 2.

It amazes me that apart from one flukey champions league they've not been that successful for years but there are still always lots of bin-dipper replica strips real and fake.

djhdjh

Post by djhdjh »

SteveO 35 wrote:Agree with everything Quartz has listed above.

That's a joke, right? I can't think of a single thing to like about them. If Barca weren't trying to poach Cesc there'd be little wrong with them.

Real are the biggest club in the world with United and Barca close for second and third.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

Wheres the mighty tottenham hotspurs on that list? :shock: :roll:

skipper

Post by skipper »

Barca for me, thanx to Johhan Cruyff and his philosophy they stac with.

What's Real madrid about? Franco, Fascists, some early black&white Europen success...and not much else...

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

Madrid. 5 european cups in a row :shock:

aashman94

Post by aashman94 »

spurs.
have you seen the size of huddlestone's waist.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

To the 4 jokers :shock: :shock: (thus far, that is) that voted Arsenal :coffeespit: :coffeespit: - it's a pity our Board and Manager don't act as if we are!! :banghead: :banghead: :roll: :lol: :wink:

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

I Hate Hleb wrote:To the 4 jokers :shock: :shock: (thus far, that is) that voted Arsenal :coffeespit: :coffeespit: - it's a pity our Board and Manager don't act as if we are!! :banghead: :banghead: :roll: :lol: :wink:
Hlebby, for god's sake edit out that word that begins with B and ends with d.

:worried:

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

Real Madrid

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

It should be pointed out that The Arsenal from the '30's onwards became the first football club to achieve wordwide fame.

We used to tour all over the world during the close season, in two airplanes as well, very classy, years before anyone else from England had the status or means to to do so.

Man Utd have been living off the Munich distaster since '58, before that they were no bigger a club than Leicester, The Bin Dippers were in the 2nd division when Shankly arrived.

However since the late '50's - early '60's our club & board seems to be content with being in the top 3 or 4 in the country, recently happy with CL 4th place.

We have failed, since I have been following the club to step back up to becoming a club that can impose itself on the game like in the 1930's on a few occasions since.

'71 Double Team, signed Alan Ball, English transfer record but broke the side up too early & many major signings failed to deliver.

'79 FA Cup, The club went into decline with Brady departure, even thoughsome established international signings were made, many of whom were inconsistent under both Neill & Howe.

'89 League winning side, we knocked the Bin dippers off their perch at the top of English football & they were destined only to win one more title to this day. Instead we let the Mancs take over from Liverpool at the top whilst we failed to spend serious on top players after '92.

'88 Double Wenger success with 3 quarters of GG BR squad proves the point above 3 major signings makes the difference. Then Real & Barca buy up some of our best players & this trend continues to this day despite more titles & cups. However the Mancs have still not been seriously threatened since their rise to the top in the '90's

:banghead: :banghead:

Under Wenger the club continue to do things on the cheap instead of making the major signings that the club needs :banghead:

This is The Arsenal & we really should be striving for the best, second place is not good enough!!!!! :banghead:

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

Almunia is a clown wrote:second place is not good enough!!!!! :banghead:
Yet fourth place is the same as winning a trophy in Wenger-world! :lol: :roll: :banghead:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Arsenal shouldnt even be on that list :banghead:

Real Madrid