THE "I WAS THERE" THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

I have been at quite a few of the great Arsenal games of the last 33 years mentioned on this thread, including WHL replay 87, CL final, the "Squirrel" game, last Highbury game etc.

But one moment stands out as unusual.

It was Ian Wright's chipped goal versus Everton at Highbury 28 August 1993.

I was in the NorthBank, and when the goal was scored, I swear there was a slight delay between it going in and the crowd celebrating, a delay that I have never experienced before or since.
Quiet simply, I think none of us could quite believe the audaciousness and skill the goal involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTu8DMmO8u0

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

QuartzGooner wrote:I have been at quite a few of the great Arsenal games of the last 33 years mentioned on this thread, including WHL replay 87, CL final,
the "Squirrel" game
, last Highbury game etc.

But one moment stands out as unusual.

It was Ian Wright's chipped goal versus Everton at Highbury 28 August 1993.

I was in the NorthBank, and when the goal was scored, I swear there was a slight delay between it going in and the crowd celebrating, a delay that I have never experienced before or since.
Quiet simply, I think none of us could quite believe the audaciousness and skill the goal involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTu8DMmO8u0
I was at,"The Squirrel Game" too,also too many games to remember at Highbury,including,the first game of the last season at Highbury,(against Newcastle United),when a lot of past players walked round the pitch.A mate and I were in the front row,and got to shake hands with a few,(a highlight for me being Emanuel Petit).Lee Dixon however,was a right arrogant *word censored*,who just looked down his nose at everyone,and even ignored kids who wre trying to get his autograph.
Martin Keowns Testimonial was another "stand out" for me,as well as a couple of 7-0s against Everton,(Edu scored a penalty in his last game for the Club),and Middlesborough.
Talking of "Borough" another game that I was at was the "Bergkamp" come back game during the Invincibles season-What a game that was!!!

I was also at the 2003 F.A. Cup Final.the semi against Man Utd at Villa Park,(where Lehman pushed Ronaldo over behind the Refs back),the semi at Cardiff against Blackburn Rovers,(where Todd smacked RVP in the mouth because he had mugged him off all day).
I also did a couple of Community Shields there,including the one where Alliadiare crocked himself.

xDAVEYx

Post by xDAVEYx »

i was there when we came from 1-0 down to beat barcelona :wink:

give it to barthez in 2001

freddie vs west ham stands out for me too, either because of his crucial goals or just his hair...

henry header was epic too

but nothing beats arshavin's goal against barcelona

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

flash gunner wrote: (Plimsoll Arms) Forest beat Liverpool to give us the title in '91 then at the match against united after
Were you the one who tried to get the name of the pub changed to "The Slippers Arms" Flash?

Unfortunately, they went in a completely different direction.

:wink:

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

1971 WHL and Wembley. :barscarf:

Fairs Cup Final at Highbury. :barscarf:

Wembley 1968 and 1969. :banghead: :banghead:

I win! :wink:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I was there when:
We won the league at Anfield
We won the cup in Copenhagen
We won 2-1 in league cup at WHL (Rocky)
Last ever game at Highbury
John Jensen scored
We scored 7 away to Standard Liege in CWC
We lost to Galatasary in CWC
We lost 2-6 at home to Manks in league cup
Tony Woodcock scored 5 goals in a game at Villa Park
Arsenal played Spuds at WHL just after Pleat got done for kerb crawling....hilarious
Arsenal won 5-1 in the San Siro
We got held for 6 hours in a car park by old bill in Italy (Sampdoria)
We got beat by Nayim......
Bergy made his debut and also when he scored his first goal
The orange smoke bomb went off in the North Bank v West Ham, ICF everywhere!
Tottenham took the North Bank (early 80's)
Notts County brought just 14 fans with them for a league match at Highbury
Wrighty's record goal
Henrys record goal in Prague

Blimey...there's many more too!

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Anfield 89 :barscarf: :barscarf:

got tickets in the Kop from a scouse tout and had to get the old bill to walk us around to the away end. That wouldn't happen these days, you'd just get ejected!

Drove home to Essex that night but cannot remember any of the journey :oops: :oops:

shu

Post by shu »

Copenhagen was brilliant and the last game of the season against Everton when Adams scored in front of us in the North Bank.

bradders

Post by bradders »

I was there in the 87 league cup final singing :D

0ne nil down two one up we fucked Rush's record up

First time ever Rush had scored and Liverpool lost

Great day out.... :barscarf:

After the game during the players lap of honor we made our way down to the front to get close to the players. Rush and Dalglish came down our end and walked right past me so close i couldve touched them. I SHOUTED RUSHY,RUSHY. He looked right into my eyes as i gave him the finger and SHOUTED at the top of my voice ARRRRRGGGGG !! YOU *word censored* !!
:lol: He put his head down and walked off :lol:

I was also there the following year but that wasnt such a great day :(

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

Some not so great moments......

Losing 2-6 to Man Yoo at home in the League Cup with Sharpe scoring a hat-trick. On the way up my mate and me were so confident we was going to do the treble.

Parc de Princes and Nayim from the halfway line. I has just bent down to pick my fags up so I could have one on the go for peanlties. Looked up and saw Seaman laying down inside the goal which seemed odd!

:cry:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Many to remember over the years, but gets harder to recall them recently :D

Just being there for the last game at Highbury, almost 30 years since first going there will always stand out and I was able to take my lad who was 5 at the time; something he'll always be able to talk about years after I've gone. Capped a shit season with a bright end - Henry's hat-trick, Spuds throwing up after Lasagne-gate and the party that followed.

Seeing my first double completed in the flesh at Wembley in 1998 was special, Overmars winner at Old Trafford....many many more.

In fairness the glory days of the late 90s and early noughties had more than enough happy "I was there" days ot banish a number of the "I wish hadn't been" days of the early to mid-80s !!

topcat

Post by topcat »

arsenalmorris wrote:
topcat wrote:
arsenalmorris wrote:i was there when dicanio pushed over the ref, :shock:
me too. :lol:
i was onlt about 12 then haha

was there wen rambo broke his leg
don't even think i was that, think i was 10.

Gus Caesar

Post by Gus Caesar »

Been lucky enough to witness all the good stuff at the Emirates (yes, there has been some) - Henry last minute Manure; Barcelona; Cesc's goal straight from kick-off v Spuds...

But other stand out moments for me:

Home: Bergkamps first goals v Southampton '95
Sit-down protest on North Bank at Highbury v Sheff Wed (7-1) when leaflets were first handed out re: all seater...
My first match v Watford at Highbury - Christmas 1984 - I was 10, everyone else was pissed on 2 pint buckets of beer they were selling in the ground...

Away: I was in the Stretford End v Manure for the 1-0 brawl match... had a jumper over my Arsenal shirt and at 16 I wasn't going to take it off...

Southampton away when Grobellar had just been done for fixing and Gooners were waving fake cash... unfortunately I gave myself away in the home end when we got a penno and got absolutely slaughtered when Dickov missed it...

Been to a few finals but ought to stay away really!:

'01 v Liverpool; 2007 v Chelsea; 2011 v Birmingham...

Peeman

Post by Peeman »

When Charlie got two v Spunks :barscarf:

After beating Spunks standing outside East Stand at Highbury and a shitload of people singing up to the lads in the dressing room. When someone came over and stuck Sols jersey to the window :barscarf: :barscarf: Still get goosebumps

When Pele walked around the pitch at Highbury.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

olgitgooner wrote:1971 WHL and Wembley. :barscarf:

Fairs Cup Final at Highbury. :barscarf:

Wembley 1968 and 1969. :banghead: :banghead:

I win! :wink:
You do indeed Olgit!!!
:bowing21: :bowing21: :bowing21: