THE ARSENAL CAPTAINCY: THE ABUSE CONTINUES

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DUFFMAN

Post by DUFFMAN »

Belfast Boy wrote:Mikey I'm not here to be an apologist for AW because he has made mistakes like Almunia No1 for 3 yrs but, and this is just my opinion, the level of hatred shown on here towards AW is completely out of proportion getting to the point were I'm waiting for someone to say he was on a grassy knoll in Dallas a while back before planning 9/11!

Let me make it clear again........ I am not happy with where we are as a club right now, but to suggest that AW deviated from his proven winning formula just so he didn't have to deal with strong characters is pure nonsense, it much more likely that he has looked to La Liga and saw the future and in that respect he was not wrong as Spain are now European and World champs and Barca are arguably the greatest team ever all achieved thru pure quality and not physicality!

AW didn't do the hairdryer treatment back in the old days and doesn't do it now to his "lambs", it's not his style, AF will not accept any dissention in his ranks or you're out the door, even Graham Souness while doin Mon night football took Keys by surprise when he basically announced his retirement from football mangement because he said he was fed up bein backchatted by players who weren't even alive at the end of his career let alone the start of it!

Babatunde quoted AW regarding Chamakh and again the worst is read into it yet it's exactly the same thing that Redknapp said about Modric when he was telling everybody he was a dream to work with which is why he didn't want to let him go and 25M was an insult for such a perfect pro!

Like I said Mikey I fully respect your passion for the club but you have to watch that your frustration or level of hatred doesn't leave you blinkered to the point where it doesn't matter what AW does or sez you will think that he has some underhanded ulterior motive!

PS cheers IHH
Good god, someone with a different opinion on the onlinegooner who doesn't result to insults and twattery!!!

Don't agree with a single fucking word of it!!!! But fair play for giving some reasoning to your argument

benglenton

Post by benglenton »

Eddie Hapgood
Joe Mercer
Frank McLintock
Pat Rice
Kenny Sansom
Tony Adams
Patrick Vieira

this is AFC Skipper at the moment?
oh yes for sure
unbelieveble

Post by 1989 »

No, it's RvP. Song was captain for 1 game only. He's not even vice captain. :roll:

dudbux

Post by dudbux »

The only other option in the starting line up was ramsey.

I am sure if he had been given the role, this thread will still exist!!

FFS it was 1 game, plus the real leaders are out or on the bench!!

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

dudbux wrote:The only other option in the starting line up was ramsey.

I am sure if he had been given the role, this thread will still exist!!

FFS it was 1 game, plus the real leaders are out or on the bench!!

Well said.But for some people its not about winning or getting 3 pts its who the captain is thats important.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

DUFFMAN wrote:
Belfast Boy wrote:Mikey I'm not here to be an apologist for AW because he has made mistakes like Almunia No1 for 3 yrs but, and this is just my opinion, the level of hatred shown on here towards AW is completely out of proportion getting to the point were I'm waiting for someone to say he was on a grassy knoll in Dallas a while back before planning 9/11!

Let me make it clear again........ I am not happy with where we are as a club right now, but to suggest that AW deviated from his proven winning formula just so he didn't have to deal with strong characters is pure nonsense, it much more likely that he has looked to La Liga and saw the future and in that respect he was not wrong as Spain are now European and World champs and Barca are arguably the greatest team ever all achieved thru pure quality and not physicality!

AW didn't do the hairdryer treatment back in the old days and doesn't do it now to his "lambs", it's not his style, AF will not accept any dissention in his ranks or you're out the door, even Graham Souness while doin Mon night football took Keys by surprise when he basically announced his retirement from football mangement because he said he was fed up bein backchatted by players who weren't even alive at the end of his career let alone the start of it!

Babatunde quoted AW regarding Chamakh and again the worst is read into it yet it's exactly the same thing that Redknapp said about Modric when he was telling everybody he was a dream to work with which is why he didn't want to let him go and 25M was an insult for such a perfect pro!

Like I said Mikey I fully respect your passion for the club but you have to watch that your frustration or level of hatred doesn't leave you blinkered to the point where it doesn't matter what AW does or sez you will think that he has some underhanded ulterior motive!

PS cheers IHH
Good god, someone with a different opinion on the onlinegooner who doesn't result to insults and twattery!!!

Don't agree with a single fucking word of it!!!! But fair play for giving some reasoning to your argument
There used to be more of this type of informed debate on here back about 4 or 5 years ago, Duffman. Most members respected other people's views and (mostly) didn't resort to namecalling or insults to try win an argument. We had some top notch posters back then - BB was one of them. But the fractuious state of the fanbase and the club has rolled over onto here. A shame really but there ya go! :wink:

I blame shit mod Hlebby. For everything. :lol: :wink:

n6gooner

Post by n6gooner »

Belfast Boy wrote:
n6gooner wrote: didn't suggest he is "deliberately refusing" rather that he's failed, persistently, to realise the importance of a strong leader (that is the captain) and this is where we've lost our way since the departure of adams swiftly followed by vieira. we all know that the missing ingredient since cardiff 2005 has been mental toughness when it matters (ie. cl final, cc final v chelsea, post-eduardo tackle v birm, cc final v birm, repeated epl collapses after xmas, etc etc)

despite being one of aw's biggest fans i'm not deluded enough to believe he turned adams' career around. he "prolonged" the careers of the back four he inherited which is slightly, but significantly, different and was extremely beneficial to him.

as timely as aw's dietary/anti-alcohol influence was when he arrived, i suspect the acceleration of the speed at which the game is played was already changing nutritional attitudes across the world. granted, aw was amongst the first to spot this though
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meant but you wrote that AW couldn't handle strong characters which is why TA4 or PV4 weren't brought back :?

As for AW's influence on players' careers and whether we say he turned them around or prolonged them I fail to see any difference worth debating, and the continentals have always looked after themselves and some who've played in England particularly the Italians still can't believe how much the English players drink on a nite out, even though the pace of their game would put you to sleep!
bb - aw's inability (past and present) to manage strong characters is a separate point to the fact that, as a consequence, the door has always been closed to mentally strong ex-players who would have been able to influence the development (and loyalty) of new talent coming through

there's a big difference between prolonging a player's career and "turning it around". the latter suggests that when aw arrived adams, merson, etc were going downhill (on the pitch) whereas the former means they played for longer than they would have done had aw not come to afc. have you forgotten that ta5 was england skipper when aw arrived? hardly "washed up"

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

n6gooner wrote:bb - aw's inability (past and present) to manage strong characters is a separate point to the fact that, as a consequence, the door has always been closed to mentally strong ex-players who would have been able to influence the development (and loyalty) of new talent coming through

there's a big difference between prolonging a player's career and "turning it around". the latter suggests that when aw arrived adams, merson, etc were going downhill (on the pitch) whereas the former means they played for longer than they would have done had aw not come to afc. have you forgotten that ta5 was england skipper when aw arrived? hardly "washed up"
Before I say anything else can I just make clear that I'm not an AKB but admittedly maybe a rosetinter :D I think I know what he's trying achieve, I think we all do maybe I'm just more patient than most altho I'm not known for my patience :evil: there's no doubt he's made mistakes that have cost us (both as fans and as a club) dearly and some such as Augie, sorry mate, but you are the original 8) have been on his back for years!

I posted on a thread ages ago about it being obvious the balance of the team was unsuited to the current nature of the English game either thru lack of an English core identity, quality, character or just plain old physical strength or more likely a combination of all four but I still don't see how that demonstrates an inability or on AW's part to "handle strong characters", even tho I completely agree with the consensus that Cantona was the catalyst for the young Utd side, not only being hugely charismatic but according to Beckham an extremely diligent trainer!

Is Wenger misguided in his pursuit of an English Barca??? possibly, stubborn??? definitely, some may even say negligent and I couldn't dispute the evidence, but I can't think of a single player who AW froze out or constructively dismissed for anything other than football reasons which he could still easily do as countless other managers have done in dressing room power struggles even to players at the top of their game such as AF did to Nistlerooy and Stam???

Our player of the season and CAPTAIN, RvP even tho regarded as the brightest prospect in Dutch football winning their young player of the year award in 2002 was bought by AW for the bargain price of 2M a year later cos his manager van Marwijk couldn't handle him, so AW mentored him until that day he got himself sent off at Southampton and AW lost it on the touchline shouting at him for all to see as he walked down the tunnel and anyone who knows the player remembers that day as the turning point in his career so AW surely deserves the credit for the player he is today!

The major problem for us of course in the physical sense and one that can not be overestimated is that our players spend so much time on the treatment table that not only are we missing the few good players in a comparitively thin squad the first eleven hardly ever plays together and that in itself makes a massive difference, evidenced by the fact that the tightest defence in the league belongs to Newcastle cos their back 5 has been practically unchanged all season!

This why I posed the question before - would Barca win the EPL??? would they get the (over)protection they enjoy everywhere else how long before someone like Taylor or Shawcross crunched Messi??? would they be the same team if Xavi and Iniesta spent the entire winter on the treatment table, because of their relative diminutive stature?

AW came to England because he loves English football which is why he gets pissed off when pundits try and make out that he wants to outlaw tackling if he dares complain about us bein kicked off the park, the same hacks I might add who hailed Spain's victory over Holland's roughhouse approach to the WC final as a "victory for football" :banghead:

However he probably does not appreciate the baggage that all too often comes with an English player as they are twice as expensive to buy and pay and yet there's hardly a week goes by without somethin in the papers about a homegrown player concerning drink, drugs, gambling, assault and all sorts of infidelity and sex scandals!

He transfer listed Merson cos he was seen as a lost cause which I don't think Merse has ever really forgiven us for, also Hartson partly for being overweight, Jermaine Pennant was moved on cos he was already on a warning from the club after he was disqualified for drink drivin, then while still banned (and pissed up again) wrapped a Merc, rumoured to be Ledley King's :lol: round a lampost in the early hours one Sat mornin and done a runner, and it was a matchday to boot, Bentley was another Champagne Charlie not to mention AW basically blew 20M the day he bought Franny Jeffers and Richard Wright!

Even young Jack has been in the papers more recently than the rest of the squad put together gettin into scrapes after no doubt downing more booze in one nite than a professional track athlete would in an entire season, yet as we all know on the field he's the one player who can be relied on to do the shirt justice and has the guile and tenacity that we're cryin out for!

........... and therein lies AW's conundrum he is a purist, loves the flair and professionalism and price of the foreign player and it's also the transfer market he knows and probably preferred after getting his fingers burnt but the players he buys from all over the world do not or possibly cannot have the same camaraderie thru genuine friendship or affiliation with the club which homegrown players have naturally which is all to readily exposed when the going gets tough!

Therefore the cynics among us will say he knows the price of everything and the value of nothing, but you can see he's tryin to get English youngsters before they learn the way of the long ball and even longer nites, and teach them technique, to be comfortable on the ball which is one thing I don't think anyone on here disagrees about regarding the sad state of the English coaching system, and his vindication of course would be to have more Arsenal players in the national team than any other club after bein accused of xenophobia by the English media!

TH14 did a SKY interview recently in NY and admitted than when he first arrived in N5 he looked at Adams and Parlour etc. and thought to himself these guys are not athletes, yet come matchday their workrate and commitment put him to shame and it rubbed off on him, and it's true, for instance the L'pool vs Everton derby some of the foreign players getting stuck in as if they were born on the banks of the Mersey, no doubt influenced by Gerrard, Carragher et al and it is clear to see we have lost that :!:

The current lack of English identity has left us wanting in the EPL but less so in Europe because it's a less physical game and those refs aren't afraid to send off an opposing player just cos he's famous and plays for England and our confidence is also shot which is fatal for the type of game we play, and we have displayed a worrying mentality where the players clearly do not believe!

I was in the Diamond Club about 5 or 6 yrs ago when Bob Wilson opened the floor to questions for AW and I asked him would we ever be able to compete financially with ManU and he gave me one of his cryptic answers but when the guy after me asked him what he wanted to achieve with Arsenal without a moment's hesitation he looked the guy straight in the eye and said "win the Champion's League for the club" so again rightly or wrongly he no doubt is on a mission possibly to the detriment of our domestic league!

I don't think all is lost tho, we have at last a top drawer keeper, TV and Kos I think will eventually forge a partnership with Mert as back up, Sagna is as good as any right back in the league and young Jenkinson has impressed me, Gibbs is young but has potential (Cashley was always bein caught out until experience taught him positioning and when to bomb forward)

With Ramsey, Jack, Frimpong and Song we have the makings of an outstanding midfield cos I think Song while not necessarily capt. material is underrated and again this if they all stay fit and reach their full potential but it looks promising!

Upfront of course have RvP who's pure class, and glass, but maybe his luck will turn god knows he deserves it, in Gervinho we have someone who is strong, pacy, tricky, likes to take players on, is good at it and is not afraid to shoot and the Ox has again only potential but a lot of it - and he's English too so that's half a dozen homegrown players with real potential!

Shiiittt!!! just realised the length of this post :oops: sorry lads it just came out, but I hope I'm forgiven, it has been a while, and for a Gooner not a very nice one at that :cry:

Just on your other point N6 why the quotation marks around "washed up" in reference to Adams??? I never did say nor would I, that Adams was finished as a player when AW took over :? ............

but would TA5 have scored the "that sums it all up" left footed volley after runnin the full length of the pitch goal against Everton to secure the league in AW's first full season in charge under GG or Rioch - I don't think so!

augie

Post by augie »

So to sum up some of that BB, what you are saying re rvp is that the day wenger bollocked him on the sideline was the day rvp's career turned for the better ? Then why does he not bollock his players more often ? I am not advocating hanging them out to dry in public on a continual basis but fcuk me a lot of these guys are on easy street and dont seem to be held accountable at all (at least not in the same way that ferguscum hung wanker evra and the "forgetful" ferdinand out to dry after last suday). As you have already said, I am a long time critic of wenger but even I know that this malaise is not all his fault and on occasions his players are letting him down badly and for me (and I suspect for many Gooners) his softly softly approach with his players plays a major part in their lazy not bothered attitude that we see so frequently on the pitch these days :evil:

You started off that piece by saying that you are not a akb supporter and you then put up a reasonable and passionate defence of the man but for me it was also a selective argument - where have you mention his ineffective tactical plan and his refusal to alter it ? Surely you would also agree that, while winning the champs lge is his big priority, to qualify continually for this comp then you need to build a team able to stand up to the rigours of the 38 game english season or else you will have a team suitable to play champions league football but unable to qualify for it (which could well be this case this season) ? Surely you will also agree that the stack of injuries our players continually pick up is largely down to 2 factors - (1) he keeps buying and picking lightweight players unable to match up physically to the rigours of our league (2) because he basically has no physical players in our midfield and forward lines then these small lightweights have nobody able to win the ball back so they then are expected to do the grafting that players like silva at citeeh are not expected to do as they know exposing silva to these physical opponents is a recipe for disaster and will lead to more injuries.

You also omit the argument the by continually selling the family silver (henry, cesc etc) and replacing them with unproven players means that the club is in a constant rebuilding cycle as players we try to build around leave the club thus pushing us back to square one. You can surely also see that players like cesc are driven by the need to win trophies and surrounding them with dodo's like diaby, song, theo etc and asking them to carry these players can only lead to players disillusioned about the direction and ambitions of our club ? This leads nicely to the main point of this thread....the lack of importance and respect the position of captain holds for wenger. You can argue (probably correctly) that wenger hasnt forced out leaders out of our club but it escapes the fact that he doesnt wish to recruit leaders either. Wenger has gone on record that he doesnt like players being bawled at and this is a point he made to pat rice on their first game on the bench together when he famously pointed out that we dont do that anymore :shock: The importance of captain for most of us is that the person is a leader that team-mates will follow - he may not be the best player but is a player that can drag his team over the finishing line by bollocking them on occasions and cajoling them on other occasions and this is a point that wenger completely ignores or fails to grasp. The logical conclusion to draw from that is that wenger wants his players to listen to his voice and his voice only so he deals with that by refusing to sign any player that might offer any opinion that conflicts with his own

Of course winning matches takes priority over who is the captain but I would suggest that those who mock the principle of this thread are only looking at the very short term. As stated already our club has a rich history of real leaders of men that have made a huge impact in past successes and their contributions as skippers shouldnt be understated. We won on sunday v stoke with song as captain but who among us would have faith in the guy leading us into battle on sat v the chavs or into the atmosphere the inbreds create at the britannia ? Choosing song as skipper last sunday wasnt and wont be a one off and it suggests a belief on wenger's part that he is suitable for the role so perhaps that should be reason alone to worry very seriously about what that will mean in the future for the captaincy of our club whether that be as a result of rvp's departure or his overdue injury

n6gooner

Post by n6gooner »

augie wrote:So to sum up some of that BB, what you are saying re rvp is that the day wenger bollocked him on the sideline was the day rvp's career turned for the better ? Then why does he not bollock his players more often ? I am not advocating hanging them out to dry in public on a continual basis but fcuk me a lot of these guys are on easy street and dont seem to be held accountable at all (at least not in the same way that ferguscum hung wanker evra and the "forgetful" ferdinand out to dry after last suday). As you have already said, I am a long time critic of wenger but even I know that this malaise is not all his fault and on occasions his players are letting him down badly and for me (and I suspect for many Gooners) his softly softly approach with his players plays a major part in their lazy not bothered attitude that we see so frequently on the pitch these days :evil:

You started off that piece by saying that you are not a akb supporter and you then put up a reasonable and passionate defence of the man but for me it was also a selective argument - where have you mention his ineffective tactical plan and his refusal to alter it ? Surely you would also agree that, while winning the champs lge is his big priority, to qualify continually for this comp then you need to build a team able to stand up to the rigours of the 38 game english season or else you will have a team suitable to play champions league football but unable to qualify for it (which could well be this case this season) ? Surely you will also agree that the stack of injuries our players continually pick up is largely down to 2 factors - (1) he keeps buying and picking lightweight players unable to match up physically to the rigours of our league (2) because he basically has no physical players in our midfield and forward lines then these small lightweights have nobody able to win the ball back so they then are expected to do the grafting that players like silva at citeeh are not expected to do as they know exposing silva to these physical opponents is a recipe for disaster and will lead to more injuries.

You also omit the argument the by continually selling the family silver (henry, cesc etc) and replacing them with unproven players means that the club is in a constant rebuilding cycle as players we try to build around leave the club thus pushing us back to square one. You can surely also see that players like cesc are driven by the need to win trophies and surrounding them with dodo's like diaby, song, theo etc and asking them to carry these players can only lead to players disillusioned about the direction and ambitions of our club ? This leads nicely to the main point of this thread....the lack of importance and respect the position of captain holds for wenger. You can argue (probably correctly) that wenger hasnt forced out leaders out of our club but it escapes the fact that he doesnt wish to recruit leaders either. Wenger has gone on record that he doesnt like players being bawled at and this is a point he made to pat rice on their first game on the bench together when he famously pointed out that we dont do that anymore :shock: The importance of captain for most of us is that the person is a leader that team-mates will follow - he may not be the best player but is a player that can drag his team over the finishing line by bollocking them on occasions and cajoling them on other occasions and this is a point that wenger completely ignores or fails to grasp. The logical conclusion to draw from that is that wenger wants his players to listen to his voice and his voice only so he deals with that by refusing to sign any player that might offer any opinion that conflicts with his own

Of course winning matches takes priority over who is the captain but I would suggest that those who mock the principle of this thread are only looking at the very short term. As stated already our club has a rich history of real leaders of men that have made a huge impact in past successes and their contributions as skippers shouldnt be understated. We won on sunday v stoke with song as captain but who among us would have faith in the guy leading us into battle on sat v the chavs or into the atmosphere the inbreds create at the britannia ? Choosing song as skipper last sunday wasnt and wont be a one off and it suggests a belief on wenger's part that he is suitable for the role so perhaps that should be reason alone to worry very seriously about what that will mean in the future for the captaincy of our club whether that be as a result of rvp's departure or his overdue injury
thank you augie.......not only afc but 99% of successful sides!! aw's ship finally sailed when we left the stade de france in 2006. what amazes me is that few believe benitez is the answer to the scousers' future success but some on here somehow believe aw will bring back (and improve on) the glory years up to '04

n6gooner

Post by n6gooner »

Belfast Boy wrote:
n6gooner wrote:bb - aw's inability (past and present) to manage strong characters is a separate point to the fact that, as a consequence, the door has always been closed to mentally strong ex-players who would have been able to influence the development (and loyalty) of new talent coming through

Before I say anything else can I just make clear that I'm not an AKB but admittedly maybe a rosetinter :D I think I know what he's trying achieve, I think we all do maybe I'm just more patient than most altho I'm not known for my patience :evil: there's no doubt he's made mistakes that have cost us (both as fans and as a club) dearly and some such as Augie, sorry mate, but you are the original 8) have been on his back for years!

I posted on a thread ages ago about it being obvious the balance of the team was unsuited to the current nature of the English game either thru lack of an English core identity, quality, character or just plain old physical strength or more likely a combination of all four but I still don't see how that demonstrates an inability or on AW's part to "handle strong characters", even tho I completely agree with the consensus that Cantona was the catalyst for the young Utd side, not only being hugely charismatic but according to Beckham an extremely diligent trainer!

Is Wenger misguided in his pursuit of an English Barca??? possibly, stubborn??? definitely, some may even say negligent and I couldn't dispute the evidence, but I can't think of a single player who AW froze out or constructively dismissed for anything other than football reasons which he could still easily do as countless other managers have done in dressing room power struggles even to players at the top of their game such as AF did to Nistlerooy and Stam???

Our player of the season and CAPTAIN, RvP even tho regarded as the brightest prospect in Dutch football winning their young player of the year award in 2002 was bought by AW for the bargain price of 2M a year later cos his manager van Marwijk couldn't handle him, so AW mentored him until that day he got himself sent off at Southampton and AW lost it on the touchline shouting at him for all to see as he walked down the tunnel and anyone who knows the player remembers that day as the turning point in his career so AW surely deserves the credit for the player he is today!

The major problem for us of course in the physical sense and one that can not be overestimated is that our players spend so much time on the treatment table that not only are we missing the few good players in a comparitively thin squad the first eleven hardly ever plays together and that in itself makes a massive difference, evidenced by the fact that the tightest defence in the league belongs to Newcastle cos their back 5 has been practically unchanged all season!

This why I posed the question before - would Barca win the EPL??? would they get the (over)protection they enjoy everywhere else how long before someone like Taylor or Shawcross crunched Messi??? would they be the same team if Xavi and Iniesta spent the entire winter on the treatment table, because of their relative diminutive stature?

AW came to England because he loves English football which is why he gets pissed off when pundits try and make out that he wants to outlaw tackling if he dares complain about us bein kicked off the park, the same hacks I might add who hailed Spain's victory over Holland's roughhouse approach to the WC final as a "victory for football" :banghead:

However he probably does not appreciate the baggage that all too often comes with an English player as they are twice as expensive to buy and pay and yet there's hardly a week goes by without somethin in the papers about a homegrown player concerning drink, drugs, gambling, assault and all sorts of infidelity and sex scandals!

He transfer listed Merson cos he was seen as a lost cause which I don't think Merse has ever really forgiven us for, also Hartson partly for being overweight, Jermaine Pennant was moved on cos he was already on a warning from the club after he was disqualified for drink drivin, then while still banned (and pissed up again) wrapped a Merc, rumoured to be Ledley King's :lol: round a lampost in the early hours one Sat mornin and done a runner, and it was a matchday to boot, Bentley was another Champagne Charlie not to mention AW basically blew 20M the day he bought Franny Jeffers and Richard Wright!

Even young Jack has been in the papers more recently than the rest of the squad put together gettin into scrapes after no doubt downing more booze in one nite than a professional track athlete would in an entire season, yet as we all know on the field he's the one player who can be relied on to do the shirt justice and has the guile and tenacity that we're cryin out for!

........... and therein lies AW's conundrum he is a purist, loves the flair and professionalism and price of the foreign player and it's also the transfer market he knows and probably preferred after getting his fingers burnt but the players he buys from all over the world do not or possibly cannot have the same camaraderie thru genuine friendship or affiliation with the club which homegrown players have naturally which is all to readily exposed when the going gets tough!

Therefore the cynics among us will say he knows the price of everything and the value of nothing, but you can see he's tryin to get English youngsters before they learn the way of the long ball and even longer nites, and teach them technique, to be comfortable on the ball which is one thing I don't think anyone on here disagrees about regarding the sad state of the English coaching system, and his vindication of course would be to have more Arsenal players in the national team than any other club after bein accused of xenophobia by the English media!

TH14 did a SKY interview recently in NY and admitted than when he first arrived in N5 he looked at Adams and Parlour etc. and thought to himself these guys are not athletes, yet come matchday their workrate and commitment put him to shame and it rubbed off on him, and it's true, for instance the L'pool vs Everton derby some of the foreign players getting stuck in as if they were born on the banks of the Mersey, no doubt influenced by Gerrard, Carragher et al and it is clear to see we have lost that :!:

The current lack of English identity has left us wanting in the EPL but less so in Europe because it's a less physical game and those refs aren't afraid to send off an opposing player just cos he's famous and plays for England and our confidence is also shot which is fatal for the type of game we play, and we have displayed a worrying mentality where the players clearly do not believe!

I was in the Diamond Club about 5 or 6 yrs ago when Bob Wilson opened the floor to questions for AW and I asked him would we ever be able to compete financially with ManU and he gave me one of his cryptic answers but when the guy after me asked him what he wanted to achieve with Arsenal without a moment's hesitation he looked the guy straight in the eye and said "win the Champion's League for the club" so again rightly or wrongly he no doubt is on a mission possibly to the detriment of our domestic league!

I don't think all is lost tho, we have at last a top drawer keeper, TV and Kos I think will eventually forge a partnership with Mert as back up, Sagna is as good as any right back in the league and young Jenkinson has impressed me, Gibbs is young but has potential (Cashley was always bein caught out until experience taught him positioning and when to bomb forward)

With Ramsey, Jack, Frimpong and Song we have the makings of an outstanding midfield cos I think Song while not necessarily capt. material is underrated and again this if they all stay fit and reach their full potential but it looks promising!

Upfront of course have RvP who's pure class, and glass, but maybe his luck will turn god knows he deserves it, in Gervinho we have someone who is strong, pacy, tricky, likes to take players on, is good at it and is not afraid to shoot and the Ox has again only potential but a lot of it - and he's English too so that's half a dozen homegrown players with real potential!

Shiiittt!!! just realised the length of this post :oops: sorry lads it just came out, but I hope I'm forgiven, it has been a while, and for a Gooner not a very nice one at that :cry:

Just on your other point N6 why the quotation marks around "washed up" in reference to Adams??? I never did say nor would I, that Adams was finished as a player when AW took over :? ............

but would TA5 have scored the "that sums it all up" left footed volley after runnin the full length of the pitch goal against Everton to secure the league in AW's first full season in charge under GG or Rioch - I don't think so!
merely emphasising the point that there's a big difference between your comment that aw turned ta5's career around (which suggests he was going downhill) rather than prolonging it which i believe is a more accurate reflection of what actually happened

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

Some folks crack me up.

This quote for me sums Wenger up. Given to French tv on TeleFoot:
'In this country (UK) you are obsessed with leadership and captains. In France we do things differently, and believe a bit more in collective exppressionism'.

What country does Wenger manage in again?

Some people are so comically short-sighted it is untrue. They think that just because we beat Stoke (WOW pfffft) at home, that everything needs to be overlooked. Nope. It won't and shouldn't be.

It is NO coincidence that since Arsenal's last proper captain buggered off, Arsenal have won nada. The last trophy we fluked, came via the foot of a true leader (Vieira).

Remember Roy Keane in the tunnel? Who at Arsenal would do that now? Van Persie? Don't make me laugh. Wenger is an idiot and his disrespect of the captaincy issue is testament to that.

As I said when he arrived at Arsenal, Adams, Keown and Parlour let the French boys like Henry and Vieira understand what a NLD meant to the fans and that they were games you quite simply did not lose. So. With Vieira/Adams as captains under Wenger, how many NLDs did we lose then? Now contrast that with what you see since Vieira left. Coincidence?

The reason the players take the piss is because Wenger has no control. He is a soft as shit uncle who gives sweets and lets the kids urinate on him. No fear of consequences. We have had Diaby wear the armband in the Nou Camp. We have had Thierry henry who was desperate to leave, giggling with Teddy Sheringham on the pitch after we LOST at Upton park (remember that?). We have see Van Persie get kicked in the mouth by Adebayor, and then seen that mug Alex Thong hugging Bayor at the end of the game. We have seen countless refs screw Arsenal and not ONE player surround the referee and contest it. A bunch of pussies. Where is the leadership?

People ask why the defending is so shit and set-pieces are so crap but this also comes down to the lack if leadership. Wenger is not a leader of men, he is now a peripheral comical figure who is being ripped to shreds in the press. Think the players don't read the rags?

Wenger cannot keep a lid on discipline so he needs a leader to do it for him. The fact he has won NOTHING since Vieira left says everything for me.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Babatunde wrote:Remember Roy Keane in the tunnel? Who at Arsenal would do that now? Van Persie? Don't make me laugh. Wenger is an idiot and his disrespect of the captaincy issue is testament to that.
I thought Vieira got done by Keane. He was ok having a go at Neville but when Keane started Vieira turned away and then Keane got the winner for them. so its not something i like shouting about
Babatunde wrote:The reason the players take the piss is because Wenger has no control. He is a soft as shit uncle who gives sweets and lets the kids urinate on him.
Is there any need for this? :?
Babatunde wrote:Wenger cannot keep a lid on discipline so he needs a leader to do it for him. The fact he has won NOTHING since Vieira left says everything for me
Discipline hasnt been a problems has it? There are many problems at Arsenal but i dont think discipline is one of them

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

I am genuinely, genuinely spectacularly amazed that you feel there is no discipline problem at Arsenal. I seriously mean that!!! I don't even know where to start with that. Remember Jay Emmanuel Thomas crashing his MacLaren without a licence? I am not saying AW is at fault for that of course....
What I would question is why the f*** a nobody youth player is earning so much money already, having proved money, that he could afford to get himself a MacLaren???

I also won't mention Samir Nasri shouting at Wenger on the plane to the Far East, and then getting made captain in a subsequent friendly.

I won't mention Cesc's many (public) barbs at Wenger and the club, and keeping the captaincy, going to the Moto GP when we had a game at Fulham.

I won't mention Adebayor's conduct and Wenger's refusal to punish that conduct.

There is so so so so much more (discipline extends to the pitch also) but likeI said, if you can't see a problem with lack of discipline at the club then we must see things very very differently....

P.S: I stand by what I said, Wenger is a fucking idiot.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

JET crashing his sports car a discpline prob? Im not sure - yeah he is/was overpaid but that generally goes for most footballers these days.

As for the Nasri shouting incident its all hearsay Baba.

As i said many many times Wenger has had his time he can no longer motivate the players and 'cant see the wood for the trees' when it comes to signing players. He should have done the decent thing and stepped down after the 8-2 defeat...

Personally i think a strong captain is needed but really dont see discipline as a prob right now. Refering to something you wrote earlier i think a lack of defending set pieces in training (as mentioned by Clichy) is our main cause of conceding so many goals like that NOT not having a strong captain