Underhill last night, lack of respect, awareness, discipline

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Rocky Number Seven
Location: North Bank, Turnstile D, Block 7, Row 8, Seat 225 / Essex

Post by Rocky Number Seven »

Basil is a Gooner wrote:Before this thread gets locked (I am sure it will in the end) I also wanted to say that the players comments on Twitter also show they dont take it that seriously. Perhaps a Twitter silence would have been better, especially if the Club are dealing with it?
This... Eastmonds response on Twitter in my opinion is just as unacceptable as his original comments at underhill. To describe his actions as banter and calling an offended supporter "busy" ARE NOT ON and he should be dragged over the coals for it by the management.

It disgusts me that this is the direction the club is heading so felt compelled to remind him of who he represents... not that it will make any difference but makes me feel better.

@craigleastmond Read about youth game, "busy" guy contributes to your wages. As a player u r an ambassador for the club - show some respect!

brazilianGOONER

Re: Eastmonds double

Post by brazilianGOONER »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Nope - That's brazilianGOONER! :lol: :wink:
oi, you fecker :evil: i'm still alive here :evil: :evil: :evil:

(must admit that hands are a bit sore though) :lol: :lol: :lol:

yeahbaby

Post by yeahbaby »

olgitgooner wrote:
yeahbaby wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:
yeahbaby wrote:
olgitgooner wrote: Nope.

quote "
Black kids in London love to talk 'Gangster' & american slang

White kids like to sound like blacks "

I don't see this comment as "retarded". It's a general observation. And one I don't disagree with.

It's very common for youngsters to take on the accent/personna of people they admire. Or who they want to fit in with.

A relative of mine is a white boy who has the same accent and mannerisms of his black friends. Totally unlike his brothers, who speak Thames Estuary.

I also know some really posh kids who contrive to talk like chavs.

Imitation, as they say, is the sincerest form of flattery.
Broad generalisations in regards to supposed notions of race are ignorant.
Regardless of race.

Personally i get more offended by ignorant nonsense like that than i would about a couple of footballers swearing at each other.

The statement wasnt qualified at all, the first.question would be who exactly are these 'black' kids being refferred to?

1st generation?
West indian
West african
East african
South london

I could go on.

Not to mention the fact that if you go to a arsenal game you'll see a load of geezers from essex and surrey talking like they were raised in the east end.

Lol
Nonsense
Not a broad generalisation. It's a general observation. Big difference.

It's not group specific. Just black kids and a smaller number of white kids who talk "gangsta".

What have your "gor blimey" geezers have got to do with anything? :?
Lol please explain to me what the BIG difference between 'general' and 'broad'?

General observations ARE broad. Ie 'black kids' i ask again who exactly are these black kids?
Jamaican? Nigerian? If you think they talk the same and can be lumped into a general or broad group of black kids youd just be highlighting your ignorance of linguistic differences.

Which is fine.
You are entitled to make generalisations

And im entitled to point out how your broad generalisations about kids based on your ideas of race are ignorant and wrong - imo
Broad generalisation = most black kids speak gangsta = incorrect.

General observation = some black kids speak gangsta = correct.

Now do you understand the difference?

It's not ethnic-specific.

Why do you assume that I'm "ignorant of linguistic differences"??? You assume that I can't tell the difference between people from Jamaican and Nigerian backgrounds etc. You're wrong. And it's quite insulting.

Likewise your comment saying my "ideas of race are ignorant and wrong".

You ought to come down from your great big high horse. You might be able to see things more clearly.
lol
exactly why it should have been qualified with 'some' rather than just 'black'
im still waiting for somebody to tell me who exactly these 'black' kids are?

if you can tell me which 'black' kids you mean then i wouldnt assume. but so far you havent'

i havent insulted you - so not sure why you feel that way.
ignorance is not an insult, nor is being wrong.

And you know - some might suggest that a group of men swearing in mockney accents infront of kids at a match is no worse.
BUT i dont mind either way, i wasnt the one who thought it was disgracfull for a footballer to swear at his mate.

yeahbaby

Post by yeahbaby »

olgitgooner wrote:
MadRich wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:

It's not group specific. Just black kids and a smaller number of white kids who talk "gangsta".

:shock: :shock:
I know its just ignorance from your side.
I'm a black, but don't speak with that twang..
But I do really though :wink:

Interesting read about that 'twang'

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fe ... guage.html
Well cheers for highlighting me out out context Rich :lol:

How about ......

It's not group specific. Just black kids and a smaller number of white kids who talk "gangsta"

puts a slightly different slant on it. :wink:

Don't mark me down as "ignorant". I've always been interested in accents. We all have one. :)

I've not studied the subject, like Lynus has, but I'm good at guessing where people come from, just by the way they speak.

I remember chatting to a northern stranger once (I'm a namby pamby shandy-drinking soothener :wink: ). He insisted I wouldn't be able to guess where he came from. "Barnsley, Yorkshire" said I. "No" said he...."I live three miles outside of Barnsley".

The Australian accent is an interesting one. It's based on Norfolk/Suffolk. Not a lot of people know that. :proudtosay:
who are 'black' kids?

are mockney's trying to talk gangster by copying the krays?

yeahbaby

Post by yeahbaby »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Irish Gooner wrote:Herd is right on some level. Its a bit much to complain to the club if you werent even there!

I cant believe either that what Frimpong said is even being discussed. Its called banter ffs.

On the one hand some of you moan that the players dont have any character and are gutless, yet one swear word or even joke out of them and your telling them off emailing the club!

Get a life!
Swearing in front of little kids is showing character how, mate? I want them to show character on the pitch where it matters, not act like gangsta wannabe twats in front of kids.

As for Frimpong, I can accept that as banter because we don't know what relationship he has with Pat Rice, maybe they pull the piss outa each other every day and both enjoy the banter. But that is different to acting like a skanger and swearing in front of kids like Eastmond did.

I swear alot at games, but if somebody has their kid with them near me I tend to tone it down. I have kids and I just don't think there is any need to swear in front of them.
is it just me?
It's swearing, it's not murder.
Kids hear swear words - it doesnt destroy them for the future.
we all swear.
young men swear
young male footballers swear

and yes sometimes children may be around swearing - like at a football match.

Is it really that bad?
really?

personally i'm more offended by arshavin and walcott - to take that much money as a wage and put in that little effort is shameful.
but hey, we got swearing reserve team footballers to complain about.

:D

Irish Gooner

Post by Irish Gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Irish Gooner wrote:Herd is right on some level. Its a bit much to complain to the club if you werent even there!

I cant believe either that what Frimpong said is even being discussed. Its called banter ffs.

On the one hand some of you moan that the players dont have any character and are gutless, yet one swear word or even joke out of them and your telling them off emailing the club!

Get a life!
Swearing in front of little kids is showing character how, mate? I want them to show character on the pitch where it matters, not act like gangsta wannabe twats in front of kids.

As for Frimpong, I can accept that as banter because we don't know what relationship he has with Pat Rice, maybe they pull the piss outa each other every day and both enjoy the banter. But that is different to acting like a skanger and swearing in front of kids like Eastmond did.

I swear alot at games, but if somebody has their kid with them near me I tend to tone it down. I have kids and I just don't think there is any need to swear in front of them.
I agree Eastmond was out of order, part of me feels emailing the club when you werent there just too far though. The Frimpong thing I wouldnt even regard it as incident.

Lets be honest alot of our players have done alot worse in the past and not gotten the criticism. I think this will deal with itself, Eastmond isnt playing games for us and will be released soon I imagine.

Re the swearing yeah I suppose your right, but they're going to hear it anyway once in a while thats life really. Although coming from a suppose Arsenal player ie maybe a role model for the kids, its not really on.

But we must remember arguably Eastmond etc are still kids themselves.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

brazilianGOONER wrote:
Monkeymaw wrote:You should email the club especially regarding the behaviour of Eastmond. He represents the clubs and they should be made aware of his poor behaviour and lack of self awareness.
this.

what a bunch of little c**ts. "shouldn't you be in bed old man?" fucking hell i can only imagine how many slaps i would receive if i said that to my old team coach at gremio :roll: he wouldn't even look at you unless you called him sir, which is absolutely spot on for a guy who's been teaching youngsters how to play the game for decades with respect and dedication. i'm sure you can say the same about pat rice.

i find disrespect with the elder something unnaceptable. it must suck to work your entire life, to then see a fucking shithead of a teenager tell you you should be in bed. :x
Spot on bG

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

yeahbaby wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:
MadRich wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:

:shock: :shock:
I know its just ignorance from your side.
I'm a black, but don't speak with that twang..
But I do really though :wink:

Interesting read about that 'twang'

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fe ... guage.html
Well cheers for highlighting me out out context Rich :lol:

How about ......

It's not group specific. Just black kids and a smaller number of white kids who talk "gangsta"

puts a slightly different slant on it. :wink:

Don't mark me down as "ignorant". I've always been interested in accents. We all have one. :)

I've not studied the subject, like Lynus has, but I'm good at guessing where people come from, just by the way they speak.

I remember chatting to a northern stranger once (I'm a namby pamby shandy-drinking soothener :wink: ). He insisted I wouldn't be able to guess where he came from. "Barnsley, Yorkshire" said I. "No" said he...."I live three miles outside of Barnsley".

The Australian accent is an interesting one. It's based on Norfolk/Suffolk. Not a lot of people know that. :proudtosay:
who are 'black' kids?

are mockney's trying to talk gangster by copying the krays?
You still banging on about this??!!

It doesn't matter if the aforementioned kids have a Jamaican/Nigerian/fourth generation London background. And it's not just black kids who like to talk gansta-style. Which part of "not group-specific" don't you understand? :roll:

Please read my posts carefully before you comment on them.

The "mockney" thing comes from exactly the same process as the "gangsta" thing. It's people copying their peers. Either to look/feel good. Or just to fit in.

Are you racist or something? :?

Herd

Happy ending anyone ?

Post by Herd »

Merry Christmas Macca !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

yeahbaby wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Get a life!

is it just me?
It's swearing, it's not murder.
Kids hear swear words - it doesnt destroy them for the future.
we all swear.
young men swear
young male footballers swear

and yes sometimes children may be around swearing - like at a football match.

Is it really that bad?
really?

personally i'm more offended by arshavin and walcott - to take that much money as a wage and put in that little effort is shameful.
but hey, we got swearing reserve team footballers to complain about.

:D
No it's not muder, but no one said it was though, did they?

But it is still poor form. I don't know what age you are mate or if you have kids but are you really saying you wouldn't care if someone that is representing your club, that is supposed to be a role model for kids, carried on in front of your kid like that? You'd just think that was ok? Really?

AJAAFC

Post by AJAAFC »

Just to advise that the club sent a letter of apology today along with a signed team photo for my son. That honestly wasn't necessary, but a nice touch all the same.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Is Eastmond in the photo holding two fingers up? 8) :wink:

Herd

Post by Herd »

AJAAFC wrote:Just to advise that the club sent a letter of apology today along with a signed team photo for my son. That honestly wasn't necessary, but a nice touch all the same.
Thats better !

Sutch

Post by Sutch »

Busy