Utd to be re-instated to CL?!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Dan_85

Utd to be re-instated to CL?!

Post by Dan_85 »

FIFA are threatening to suspend the Swiss FA from international competitions amid the ongoing saga with FC Sion, meaning Basel would be eliminated to be replaced, possibly, by the eliminated team with the highest European coefficient.

http://www.marca.com/2011/12/17/futbol/ ... 23929.html
FIFA threatens to eliminate the Swiss Basel if not solve the 'case Sion'

"If this deadline is not respected, the Swiss will be automatically suspended from January 14," said FIFA in a statement.

FIFA has threatened to suspend the Swiss Federation, both in international matches teams like the European club competitions, if not resolved before the next January 13 that keeps the dispute Zion, which continues to claim inclusion in Europe League.

"If this deadline is not respected, the Swiss will be automatically suspended from January 14," said FIFA in a statement. If you meet the threat and finally the suspension occurs, the Swiss could not contest the planned friendly against Argentina in February and the Basel qualified for the knockout stages of Champions League tie away from his would be against Bayern Munich .

On 3 August, the district court Martigny and St. Maurice ordered FIFA, FIFA's subsidiary, FIFA Transfer Matching System GmbH, and the Swiss Football League (SFL) to play immediately allow six FC Sion players after the club had breached a ban on football's world governing body for signings.

The Swiss club had been expelled from European competition by improper alignment of six players who joined when he was forbidden to make additions after a FIFA sanction for hiring the Egyptian player when El Hadary had a contract with Al Ahly. Subsequently, the courts reason to Sion, but UEFA did not admit his participation in European competition, extending a legal mess that FIFA wants to close as soon as possible under threat of suspension.
Personally I don't think it'll happen, but who the fuck knows what FIFA & UEFA are capable of. You've gotta be pissed if you're a Basel fan, eliminated from a competition through no fault of your own. Imagine if spurs breaking the rules got us dumped out of Europe. That said, I guess it would be similar to the Euro ban after Heysel...

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Won't happen, Basle would take UEFA to court as they have done nothing wrong.

M-50

Post by M-50 »

Pretty sure Bayern get a bye to the next round in this scenario?

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

If this happened for whatever reason, I would cry tears of blood.

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

Utd back in the competition or a free pass for Bayern, one step closer to the final in Munich. Either way, UEFA would be wanking themselves silly.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I just don't see how they can re-instate a team that has been fairly knocked out, that opens a whole new can of worms. If Basle were not able to continue, they would have to give Bayern a bye to the next round.
To be fair, it appears to be the newspapers that are suggesting United may get back in, not any official body.

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

TeeCee wrote:I just don't see how they can re-instate a team that has been fairly knocked out, that opens a whole new can of worms. If Basle were not able to continue, they would have to give Bayern a bye to the next round.
To be fair, it appears to be the newspapers that are suggesting United may get back in, not any official body.
I agree, I don't really see it happening but then again I wouldn't put anything past those *word censored* at UEFA.

RocastleRock

Post by RocastleRock »

If they let them back in it's a fix!!

Just like the draw. :shock:

FatChaz

Post by FatChaz »

This is utter bollocks if they do. fuck united! although, if you lads remember earlier in the CL campaign, we hoped we could rely on the coefficient ruling in case we lost to Udinese, but were denied. The extra space was given to the next highest Turkish team (cant remember their name)....but we won anyway.

Basle, as long as they were not involved in any match fixing scandal, shouldnt have anything to worry about. btw what the hell is FIFA doing getting involved with CL and domestic clubs? bunch of tossers.

12thGooner

Post by 12thGooner »

As soon as I saw this story the first thing I thought was that this has to be a fix. The networks are probably pushing the uefa *word censored* to reinstate their favourite cash cow that is united

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

It would make a complete mockery of the competition if they let them back in.I can see the money men trying to get them in though because of the advertising/sponsorship dosh!!! :banghead: :banghead: :twisted:

REB

Post by REB »

never happen