THE FORUM AS IT IS NOW

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Percy Dalton

Re: THE FORUM AS IT IS NOW

Post by Percy Dalton »

I went a bit over the top on Friday when I first saw the new format.

However, I still firmly believe that the one element that mdae the forum such a success has been taken away.

Like I said before M-50 got all high and mighty and removed my posts, there ate literally 1000's of forums like this and they are sterile, joyless places with little or no users.

I understand why people are suggesting that the great and the good of The Gooner have sold out.

Changing the forum name is the biggest sign that the powers that be want to disassociate the forum from the comic they produce while still having the 'kudos' of running an internet forum.

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

DB10GOONER wrote:Good post TS. I agree that this attitude of "the world owes me" is a bit lame. The owners can do what they like. End of. Either adapt or move on.

Personally I'm really struggling with the new forum tbh. It seems VERY sterile at the moment and I'm hoping that is just teething problems and we'll get back to the atmos of the old forum soon. But I'm Oirish. I'm a Dub. We swear. Alot. It's not an aggressive or insulting thing, it's just a part of our speech. Those words are the only decent thing you murdering Anglo-Saxon rapists left us! :lol:

I hope Mike will reconsider the sweeping swearing ban and reduce it to only swearing in a personally abusive manner that is banned, but general swearing can be let in.
I would also say to my fellow mods that we need to be sensible and not over-mod the place. I know Mike has asked us to be a bit stricter and has set us new guidelines but I still think there is enough scope for us to use a bit of common sense.
This is the obvious sensible thing to do tbh. The forum is meant to be a place for discussion so if someone says they like Diaby and give reasons why, responding just with " :censored: off" is pointless and should be punished by a warning then a ban and equally if someones sole argument about Wenger is that "he's a :censored: "- if someone has an opinion they should try to actually argue it. People who respond just with swear words are adding nothing to the discussion. However people do swear on forums and when discussing football in general, so I think its harsh to be wanring/ banning people just for having a swear word or two in a post. Can a two line rule be made up that absolutely covers the issue? Maybe not, but the mods just need to use some common sense when deciding whether someones posting is unacceptable or not, theres plenty of mods now for a forum of this size so it shouldnt be an issue

mikeyb772001
Location: Block 6! Drunk and standing next to a mad man with no clothes on!

Post by mikeyb772001 »

This reminds me of moving from Highbury to the grave

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Can the "bold" text be sorted out, it's :censored:

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

goonersid wrote:Can the "bold" text be sorted out, it's :censored:
The bold and quote functions have been changed to fit the more normal way of doing it. Personally I think the old way was easier. If you want to type something in bold you have to press the icon then put the cursor between the 2 thingys (no idea what they are called) and type or paste in text.

shu

Post by shu »

good to have the online gooner back

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Chippy wrote:
goonersid wrote:Can the "bold" text be sorted out, it's :censored:
The bold and quote functions have been changed to fit the more normal way of doing it. Personally I think the old way was easier. If you want to type something in bold you have to press the icon then put the cursor between the 2 thingys (no idea what they are called) and type or paste in text.
That sounds very complicated, I'll give it a miss. :wink:

HashKads

Post by HashKads »

If you want to type something in bold, just type normally then highlight what you want to bold and click the bold symbol.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

HashKads wrote:If you want to type something in bold, just type normally then highlight what you want to bold and click the bold symbol.
I've highlighted the word bold in your post, it's hardly noticeable.

Delorean Dor's

Post by Delorean Dor's »

Percy Dalton wrote:I went a bit over the top on Friday when I first saw the new format.

However, I still firmly believe that the one element that mdae the forum such a success has been taken away.

Like I said before M-50 got all high and mighty and removed my posts, there ate literally 1000's of forums like this and they are sterile, joyless places with little or no users.

I understand why people are suggesting that the great and the good of The Gooner have sold out.

Changing the forum name is the biggest sign that the powers that be want to disassociate the forum from the comic they produce while still having the 'kudos' of running an internet forum.
Hello Percy Dalton, who is the bloke in your avatar with the hairy arms? I need to get me an avatar.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Delorean Dor's wrote:
Percy Dalton wrote:I went a bit over the top on Friday when I first saw the new format.

Hello Percy Dalton, who is the bloke in your avatar with the hairy arms? I need to get me an avatar.
That's Percy you daft twat :wink:

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

what I don't get is that the fanzine has included swearing, and edgy subjects for ages, just reading the last issue and its very fun, it doesn't take itself to seriously at all. I don't think the old forum was doing a disservice to the fanzine at all, this place in contrast now looks sterile and boring in comparison to the fanzine. If you read the January edition of the Gooner it included a lot and I mean a lot of negative/anti arsene stuff, and so did the forum, but what I got from the owners was that they didn't want this forum to look like there was a standard opinion and people who disagreed with it would be abused. I think that the only people who got abused for having a differing opinion were people who were originally abusive first anyway. If we just banned abuse wouldn't that be close enough?

EDIT- Fair enough Chippy
Last edited by Henry Norris 1913 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Guys, Mike has taken on board what is being said but is really struggling to put up a set of rules that will stop us getting back to the anarchy that existed pre shut down. He invited people to PM him about wording for rules that allow some swearing but prevent personal abuse. As of this morning no-one (apart from mods) had sent him anything. Please send him anything constructive you have to say.

Anyway he is now away for a few days so nothing will change before the end of the week.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Chippy wrote:Guys, Mike has taken on board what is being said but is really struggling to put up a set of rules that will stop us getting back to the anarchy that existed pre shut down. He invited people to PM him about wording for rules that allow some swearing but prevent personal abuse. As of this morning no-one (apart from mods) had sent him anything. Please send him anything constructive you have to say.

Anyway he is now away for a few days so nothing will change before the end of the week.
ffs chippy, I would have thought it was pretty straight forward as to what would be unacceptable, not only that but most of these rules were already in place on the original forum, but simply weren't enforced.
Racism, Homophobia,Personal abuse and Threats directed at other members were all the biggest offences on this forum, all I must add I like to think I avoided getting involved in, where as some of the mods on here sometimes didn't.
If Mike feels it necessary to curb the abuse directed towards the Manager or the players, then we will have to live with that, although I myself believe it amounts to censorship and undermines the forum's integrity.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Just like in the summer, nothing will change!!!