McDowell its over dude...no more - Hallelujah

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
terry henry

Re: Olivier Giroud

Post by terry henry »

Gunnersaurus wrote:
augie wrote:I'm glad that it appears to be practically unanimous that the biggest single signing that we could make this summer is that of a quality DM cos it is something that I have argued on here for a long long time.

Anyway back on topic (seeing as this thread is about giroud), I have openly admitted that I have seen fcuk all of the guy so am not in a position to judge the quality/potential of this signing but it appears that many of you have seen him play a fair bit and rate him highly as a result so let me ask this question........is he too good to be a back up player ? Let me make it clear that I do still believe that rvp will be off to pastures new this summer but if he doesnt leave then would giroud be a back up for him and if he is as good as advertised then would he accept being a squad player ?
Why does he have to be back up though?

12m is a big fee for this club, that would be an expensive squad player.

Maybe Wenger is going to do a tinker with the formation, Adebayor and van Persie worked before, maybe he's gonna go back that way.

Agree with Mikey, next year could be promising.
I've never liked the lone striker system. It only works if you have an exceptional team like Barcelona where the wingers are basically strikers as well. Walnut and forehead aren't good enough for that

richpye

Post by richpye »

Thing is I think it is fairly obvious that Chamakh and Park are not good enough.

What I like about both Podolski and Giroud is that it allows us to play a variety of formations.

Assuming your defence stays the same, all of these options are available depending on who you are playing against

Walcott - Arteta - Song - Podolski
Van Persie Giroud

Walcott - Arteta - New DM - Wilshere - Podolski
RvP / Giroud

Song - Arteta - Wilshere
Walcott - RvP - Podolski

Walcott - Arteta - Wilshere - Podolski
RvP
Giroud

I appreciate I am suggesting the unlikely scenario that Wenger adjusts his formation depending on the opponent we are playing. I also understand I have effectively retired Rosicky and left the Ox on the bench, but this just really supports the fact that options up front look endless.

richpye

Re: McDowell's piss poor awful VANITY 'Rumours' debacle Thre

Post by richpye »

clockender1 wrote:
Perryashburtongroves wrote: I think you are spot on with this point. I think all parties involved know that RVP is off
if that's true pel, then someone should tell RVP's family, what with his Dad saying RVP should show some loyalty to The Arsenal for supporting him in bad times, & his wife and mum also saying he should stay in the press.

to me, what makes the most sense for RVP and the club is a one year extension - RVP gets to see how we do next year, and the club doesn't have to shell out a fortune on a potential crock AND get a sell on fee next summer.

win win...
That hardly benefits Van Persie though, does it?
He'll be another year older when he gets to go to the contract table. He has just had the season of his life and can effectively demand a nice juicy contract from either Arsenal or a n other club which will pay out regardless of personal performance, injury etc.

I've heard rumours of us offering £130k per week plus a 5 million signing on fee which effectively raises his wages to £160k per week (plus bonuses for winning trophies :twisted: ). Well if that's not sufficient on top of one more signing, he might as well go if he doesn't think that constitutes commitment

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

You forgot:

------------------M'Vila
----------Wilshere----Arteta
Van Persie--------------Podolski
-----------------Giroud

richpye

Post by richpye »

Yep, another one.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:Dear mcdowell42 you REEEEAAALLLY need to see this:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34809&p=753111#p753111

Competition!?????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: for the uttershyteiest thread ever :D :wink:

For a guy or lady :wink: who thinks this thread is a load of shite you do seem to post on it alot :)
We all feel sorry for you mate - even though you're a vain twat :wink: so we are trying to bring a note of interest to an otherwise pointless long drawn out bit of Poo! :lol: :lol: :wink:

STLgooner89

Post by STLgooner89 »

You forgot one!

.............Diaby........
...... Song......Ramsey.....
Gervinho................Arshavin
.............Bendtner..........

Going to have so much flexibility for a starting XI this year 8)

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

And still we keep on posting 8)

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

STLgooner89 wrote:You forgot one!

Don't forget we can bring Denilson back in if one of them accidentally starts playing well.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Also, if we do tie up Giroud then it's probable that him and Podolski will be direct replacements for Chamakh and Arshavin respectively, and I imagine that Wenger will still be reticent to part from the 4-5-1. Saying that, they're both better players than their current counterparts so it's an improvement in terms of depth. Some of the fees being talked about for getting rid of those two wastes of space are hilarious, we could end up nearly breaking even on the signings (which I know will leave Mr Kroenke with some very messy trousers).

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

good signing if he completes medical successfully. Arsene will revert to the formation that won us titles, 4231. Dutch no.10, french striker. To use last season stats thats a potential 50 goal partnership.

Post by 1989 »

RT @SunArsenal: Yann M'Vila: "I want to go to Arsenal. I know that they are interested in me & I'm interested in them. We'll see how things evolve." #AFC

:barscarf:

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

1989 wrote:RT @SunArsenal: Yann M'Vila: "I want to go to Arsenal. I know that they are interested in me & I'm interested in them. We'll see how things evolve." #AFC

:barscarf:

Wont get excited about this yet, I remember last year or maybe the year before there was a similar 'come and get me plea' from i think a goalkeeper (stekelenburg?) and whinger did fuck all about it.

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

northbank123 wrote:
STLgooner89 wrote:You forgot one!

Don't forget we can bring Denilson back in if one of them accidentally starts playing well.
:coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: