Experiences with fans leaving early.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Revgoon89

Experiences with fans leaving early.

Post by Revgoon89 »

So reading the article today about fans leaving early got me thinking, has anyone had experiences with other fans decide to leave the ground for various reasons, or do you have a particular tale about yourself to share? :-P I know a lot was said in the early years at the Grove about people leaving with 5 minutes to go because of the queues for the Underground, but it seems lately that a lot more are staying behind to applaud the team after a game. But any little stories that stand out?

I had one at the fantastic 5-2 Spurs game last month, a foreign couple who were clearly tourists were sitting a couple of seats away from me. (I'm in Block 8 lower tier), they barely said a thing all match, never cheered or chanted and only did polite applause. I knew they were Arsenal fans as they wore the red and white. Expect with 15 minutes to go and with the game still entertaining they decided to up and leave! Now I might be able to understand if the scoreline was reversed, but we were cruising and it was fun watching Spurs get humiliated, I think a couple of fans asked why they were leaving and they still hurried out without a word said.

I can't complain too much, sometimes I've got to leave slightly early as my Dad works Saturday nights. But not that early...

Anyone else got tales like this to share?

arsenalmorris

Re: Experiences with fans leaving early.

Post by arsenalmorris »

i never ever leave early, mainly for nights like last night, i would have been livid if i had left 5 mins early and not seen that who gives a f**k about queueing for 10 mins at tube station anyway..

HashKads

Post by HashKads »

arsenalmorris wrote:i never ever leave early, mainly for nights like last night, i would have been livid if i had left 5 mins early and not seen that who gives a f**k about queueing for 10 mins at tube station anyway..
It's true, last night is why I never leave early. The last minute can change the game, why don't they get it? :?

And that tube queue doesn't even take that long, especially if you walk up past the Arsenal station and back. 5 minutes if that :? :?

mikeyb772001
Location: Block 6! Drunk and standing next to a mad man with no clothes on!

Post by mikeyb772001 »

Last night i was shouting at people for leaving with 5 minutes to go. One numpty was chanting as he was leaving and complaining about newcastle time wasting. IRONIC!!!!!
Safe to say he got some abuse and im glad that twat missed the goal

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

I've never left early & don't think I've ever queued for more than 5 mins at the tube. Can't get my head around why people would leave early. You don't walk out of the cinema without knowing the outcome of the film lol

gunner_ace

Post by gunner_ace »

Yeah ive never got that either. Why leave early when you’ve spent all that time and effort to get to the game. In my experience waiting for the final whistle, leaving straight after it and getting onto a tube from Arsenal takes 15- 20 minutes. Not really a biggy is it?

I have only ever left a game early once and that was 2 years ago when manure were totally d**king us at the drove (lost 3-1 I think) and I left with about 15 minutes to go because I had about 12 stellas in me and hadn’t eaten all day, so the kebab shop lured me in.

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

mikeyb772001 wrote:Last night i was shouting at people for leaving with 5 minutes to go. One numpty was chanting as he was leaving and complaining about newcastle time wasting. IRONIC!!!!!
They should be publically shamed. Aim the "your support is fucking shit" chant in their direction 8)

mikeyb772001
Location: Block 6! Drunk and standing next to a mad man with no clothes on!

Post by mikeyb772001 »

Dan_85 wrote:
mikeyb772001 wrote:Last night i was shouting at people for leaving with 5 minutes to go. One numpty was chanting as he was leaving and complaining about newcastle time wasting. IRONIC!!!!!
They should be publically shamed. Aim the "your support is ******* ****" chant in their direction 8)

Thats what i did. I loudly exposed him and all the others so they felt like shit walking out.

Its a disgrace!

Batflyer

Post by Batflyer »

As I've said in another thread I saw a few early leavers at the San Siro. I just don't understand why people travel thousands of miles to see their team play, and then leave before the final whistle. I think every fan should support the team untill the very end, no matter what the scoreline is and no matter how long you have to stay at your seat for away games.

Yesterday I saw a few empty seats on tv, you could already notice the white seats fron the cannon in the East Stand lower. Those people missed the best moment of the game. :roll:

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

HashKads wrote:
arsenalmorris wrote:i never ever leave early, mainly for nights like last night, i would have been livid if i had left 5 mins early and not seen that who gives a f**k about queueing for 10 mins at tube station anyway..
It's true, last night is why I never leave early. The last minute can change the game, why don't they get it? :?

And that tube queue doesn't even take that long, especially if you walk up past the Arsenal station and back. 5 minutes if that :? :?
Shhhhhhhhh, don't let the secret out!!

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Queue for the tube? Morons.

Don't leave early, what's the point. Also, I walk to Finsbury Park and catch it there, it's nice to soak in the vibes (esp after a win) and you'll get on before those at Arsenal station. You've also got Holloway Road & others to chose from, Angel & H&I if you really fancy a walk.

Definitely sound like first-timers but perhaps they will learn!

Rosicky's Right Boot

Post by Rosicky's Right Boot »

I absolutely hate it when people leave early. It's a disgrace and shows a lack of interest and true support for the team. Those who consistently leave early shouldn't be able to renew their season tickets and they should be allocated to true fans who wouldn't miss a minute.

I couldn't give a toss whether or not you've paid for it and it's 'your' ticket. 'Fans' like that are the reason the atmosphere at the Emirates is so poor compared to Highbury.

Must do wonders for a players' confidence if all they see is rows of people deserting them as early as 80 minutes.

SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

I have left an Arsenal game twice early in the years i have travelled all over to see them.

The first was vs Sheffield Wednesday with the score 1-1, it was a bore of a game and i had a bad chest infection. I was so cold that i decided enough was enough, so i made my way to the Arsenal tube with about twenty minutes to go. When i got home my mother said i must have loved that game.....7-1 it finished :cry:

The only other time was last season when Van Der Vaart made it 3-3 from the spot after we had led 3-1. I cant say why i did it but i did.....i guess it was due to the fatc i couldnt stomach watching the scum win 4-3.....

as for leaving early...i hate it...

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

I've never left a match early . what baffles me are the fans that leave AWAY matches early . say we are 4-0 down @ man city, I would have to stay in support , I mean I usually come with mates on a train, couldn't imagine all 6 of us out the door before the game ends.

SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:I've never left a match early . what baffles me are the fans that leave AWAY matches early . say we are 4-0 down @ man city, I would have to stay in support , I mean I usually come with mates on a train, couldn't imagine all 6 of us out the door before the game ends.

Its a long way lol
I stayed at OT in August to the bitter end and would normally stay at every game till final whistle...i dont really know what came over me at WHL last season.....