HAPPY BIRTHDAY RICHIE POWLING

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
REB

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RICHIE POWLING

Post by REB »

a gent , wasnt the best of players but always gave his all and gave me his autograph way back in 1980 :barscarf:

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY RICHIE POWLING

Post by franksav63 »

REB wrote:a gent , wasnt the best of players but always gave his all and gave me his autograph way back in 1980 :barscarf:
He was a good young player had a bad knee injury back in the late 70's which probably now (apart from at our club) would have been easily cured.

Always remember Kenny Burns headbutting him when he was standing in front of a Nottingham Forest wall at the clock end.

Just happened here... can't find a youtube...clip

(Burns may have been playing for Birmingham at the time, he was a right dirty *word censored*)

Youtube clip below..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2NhFoXT9s8

Edit.. It was Forest... getting too old for this memory lark... :roll: :roll: :lol:

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

I remember that,

that's when footballers were footballers, Powling head butted by Burns, didn't go down and Burns got a telling off - in to days game Powling would of been rolling on the floor for 20 mins, Burns sent straight off and receives a 10 match banned and it would of been all over Sky and Twitter saying should be banned for life

bring back the good old days, when footballers were allowed to tackle, funny that back in those days, with only 1 sub players hardly got injured, not like todays pathetic pansies

must be the modern day diet and training methods - imagine Diaby playing in the 70s

franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

Rosie_titters wrote:I remember that,

that's when footballers were footballers, Powling head butted by Burns, didn't go down and Burns got a telling off - in to days game Powling would of been rolling on the floor for 20 mins, Burns sent straight off and receives a 10 match banned and it would of been all over Sky and Twitter saying should be banned for life

bring back the good old days, when footballers were allowed to tackle, funny that back in those days, with only 1 sub players hardly got injured, not like todays pathetic pansies

must be the modern day diet and training methods - imagine Diaby playing in the 70s

Hear, Hear, nicely said sir.. ... :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

corkbarry

Post by corkbarry »

Us pensioners can remember no subs,when there was about 15 players or less in the squad :blah: :blah:

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

corkbarry wrote:

Us pensioners can remember no subs,when there was about 15 players or less in the squad :blah: :blah:

yeah the good old days, when a packet of fags cost 10p a loaf of bread 7p and a pint 2p

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

franksav63 wrote:
REB wrote:a gent , wasnt the best of players but always gave his all and gave me his autograph way back in 1980 :barscarf:
He was a good young player had a bad knee injury back in the late 70's which probably now (apart from at our club) would have been easily cured...
My old man broke his leg at work and was convalescing at the same place as richie powling at this time.

He was a nice chap.

That's it.

:lol:

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I used to watch Sudbury Town in the 90's when Richie was manager and travelled to a few away games on the team coach with him, really nice bloke.

Herd

Post by Herd »

He was a very good player and very tough too,his recurring injuries cut short a great career.

Respect and Happy Birthday Richie !

franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

Herd wrote:He was a very good player and very tough too,his recurring injuries cut short a great career.

+ 1

:barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Rosie_titters wrote:
corkbarry wrote:

yeah the good old days, when a packet of fags cost 10p a loaf of bread 7p and a pint 2p

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: And them's Laaandhaaan prices! :D :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Herd wrote:He was a very good player and very tough too,his recurring injuries cut short a great career.

+2

littlefire

Post by littlefire »

Since we're...when's David Price's birthday? Soon?

:twisted:

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

I remember being at that game. It was the year Forest came up and it was at the end of August and we beat them 3-0.
Who'd have thought they'd go on and win the league that season?
I remember being in the North Bank and looking at a sun drenched Clock End and I can still see the Clock End boys bombarding the smallish band of Forest fans with pints of beer!
Mind you I went to the return game and they got their own back on and off the pitch I seem to remember! Lost 2-0 if I'm not mistaken.

scfc64

Post by scfc64 »

.....and a very happy birthday to you too Reb..... :high5: :cheers: :cheers: :high5: