THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by OneBardGooner »

StuartL wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
StuartL wrote:
armchair wrote:Wow!
How obsessed and ridiculous do you have to be to search the net and post a photo of an armchair in an attempt to insult someone?
Jesus! Talk about infantile.

Hey flash, you're big on "snide remarks" and direct quoting to make the forum work better. What do you make of this then eh?
How do you know it's not already saved in his private collection ?

The arms don't look wide enough to successfully balance a cup of tea on for my liking.
Stains would show up pretty easily as well.
I did think that too, but was too scared to post it !
Image :D :wink: :wink:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Bob Bayliss wrote:So, would replacing Wenger with a more ambitious and modern manager address our problems, or would it be pointless unless Kronke is also removed?

It is naive to suggest that Kronke has been directly responsible for our relative decline as a force in British football, or inability to become a force at the top of the European table as we were promised when we left the Emirates. He has not bought the players, negotiated their overblown contracts, failed tactically. The manager must be directly accountable, and removing him should be a no-brainer for any club with genuine ambition.

But there is the rub, and it is why ultimately removing Wenger is necessary but not remotely sufficient. It has been suggested (DB10, and others) that Kronke's "only" real failing as our owner is that he hasn't removed the manager. That's a bit like saying that John Wilkes Booth was a pretty regular sort of guy apart from that one rash decision he made at the theatre the night Lincoln attended. The point is, his failure to remove Wenger given his underwhelming achievement over the past decade is a fundamental failing which speaks volumes about the American's priorities and what he looks for in terms of key performance indicators for the club. While there are a large number of managers who could take the club forward to some extent given the constraints under which they would be working (Koemann, Eddie Howe) there are a relatively smal number who could genuinely deliver us the type of success our fans dream of: the likes of Simeone, Allegri, Anceloti, possibly Zidane..... Had Wenger been sacked a year ago, would Conte have been persuaded to manage Arsenal with Kronke as Chairman?

So in summary: I agree that we have to focus all of our energy on getting Wenger out, but we should not for one second imagine that will have any dramatic or lasting impact on the long-term success of our club. Wenger is the battle; Kronke the war.

We'll pursue the Wenger Out campaign until we succeed. Kroenke's next if this shit continues....And we'll get banners up in his US stadiums if necessary...there are a lot of disgruntled fans over there who might help our cause.

armchair

Post by armchair »

Bob Bayliss wrote:Had Wenger been sacked a year ago, would Conte have been persuaded to manage Arsenal with Kronke as Chairman?
Why wouldn't Conte or anyone else for that matter come to Arsenal?
£8mil pa with the opportunity to take over a sleeping giant. A majority shareholder and board who don't without funds and who don't interfere.
Conte went to Chelsea with Abramovic why on earth wouldn't he go to Arsenal, the biggest club in the capital and the resources to match?

Wenger said Arsenal was "paradise" for players. It would also be paradise for a new manager imo.
(After he rid the club of the failed practices and instilled a winning mentality with his own staff etc)

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

armchair wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:Lol - the man who claims others are obsessed referring to comments about sheep from about FIVE years ago
5yrs ago? Just like Wenger when you tell porkies you need a good memory. :lol:

Are the "sheep" you refer to the same ones you happily take the "freebies" off....? Hypocrisy is strong in this one. :lol:
From Feb 2017.......
SteveO 35 wrote:Can't wait for the annual "Bannergate" drama. John Cross and his luvvies will be in full on 'be careful what you wish for' mode, whilst half the sheep inside the bowl will shoot down the dissent...............
Oh dear oh dear......poor old Armchair. I think you'll very clearly see that my dig there is aimed at the John Cross luvvie brigade and indeed a number of the AKB sheep followers who will sign up with their season ticket money year in year out. I'm actually digging out those who "will shoot down the dissent" i.e. the pricks who try to shout down the likes of you and others who will actually be protesting. Sorry if me referring to those jokers as "sheep" offends you. I thought the fact that you take them on every week and encounter them when you put up your banners wouldn't make you feel especially defensive towards them but each to their own..........just incredibly strange. I hate AKBs......I'm going to label everyone who wants him to stay as an apologist......but I'll then get offended by a sheep reference when they blindly swear allegiance to him every year. Most odd

If people want to give me their free tickets who I am to argue? Would you turn down free tickets to a match then?

augie

Post by augie »

This thread is fast becoming a bitch fest - fighting in the stadium and fighting in the forums ........sad days indeed :cry: :cry:

armchair

Post by armchair »

augie wrote:This thread is fast becoming a bitch fest - fighting in the stadium and fighting in the forums ........sad days indeed :cry: :cry:
There is no fighting in the stadiums mate. It's assault.
Those who don't want the WengerOut banners shown or feel Kroenke is to blame assault those who show them. There's a big difference imo.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:This thread is fast becoming a bitch fest - fighting in the stadium and fighting in the forums ........sad days indeed :cry: :cry:
That's the last of it from me mate. I'll let the uber protestor get on with it from now on. Sad what happens when a little praise and a bit of self appointed leadership does to a man's head but there you go. I'll let him carry on with the side swipes and relegate him to the Robin L basement from now on.

Back on topic - TO1AW will still be here next season won't he?

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
That's the last of it from me mate. I'll let the uber protestor get on with it from now on. Sad what happens when a little praise and a bit of self appointed leadership does to a man's head but there you go. I'll let him carry on with the side swipes and relegate him to the Robin L basement from now on.

No - he's done and he knows it :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

armchair

Post by armchair »

SteveO 35 wrote:

Calling someone an "uber protestor" then saying
"I'll let him carry on with the side swipes" and posting childish photos.
Oh the irony. :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

No - he's done and he knows it :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
We can only hope. Looking at some of the usual jibber jabber on Arsenal.com today, he's referring to the end of the season as if it's just part of another chapter. Talk of Gazidis today leaving at the end of the season for the MLS......not that I'll be shedding a tear for his departure but according to Herd and others he's supposedly against Wenger staying so could be the last straw for him.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Bob Bayliss wrote:So, would replacing Wenger with a more ambitious and modern manager address our problems, or would it be pointless unless Kronke is also removed?

It is naive to suggest that Kronke has been directly responsible for our relative decline as a force in British football, or inability to become a force at the top of the European table as we were promised when we left the Emirates. He has not bought the players, negotiated their overblown contracts, failed tactically. The manager must be directly accountable, and removing him should be a no-brainer for any club with genuine ambition.

But there is the rub, and it is why ultimately removing Wenger is necessary but not remotely sufficient. It has been suggested (DB10, and others) that Kronke's "only" real failing as our owner is that he hasn't removed the manager. That's a bit like saying that John Wilkes Booth was a pretty regular sort of guy apart from that one rash decision he made at the theatre the night Lincoln attended. The point is, his failure to remove Wenger given his underwhelming achievement over the past decade is a fundamental failing which speaks volumes about the American's priorities and what he looks for in terms of key performance indicators for the club. While there are a large number of managers who could take the club forward to some extent given the constraints under which they would be working (Koemann, Eddie Howe) there are a relatively smal number who could genuinely deliver us the type of success our fans dream of: the likes of Simeone, Allegri, Anceloti, possibly Zidane..... Had Wenger been sacked a year ago, would Conte have been persuaded to manage Arsenal with Kronke as Chairman?

So in summary: I agree that we have to focus all of our energy on getting Wenger out, but we should not for one second imagine that will have any dramatic or lasting impact on the long-term success of our club. Wenger is the battle; Kronke the war.

This is bang on the money Bob. There are on-going, petty and frankly juvenile spats on here at the moment, but your post is a perfect summation of the state we are in.

It's been frustrating reading the Wenger / Kroenke arguments on here, because the bottom line from all involved seems to be :
1. We need shot of Wenger now.
2. Kroenke is not the owner we want for the successful, on-field future we all want to see.
The minutiae of the spats are pointless. Wenger is washed up and has been for years. That said, he's been afforded all he's asked for (as far as we know), so our on-field failure is his alone. Again, that said, an ambitious owner would have had him out the door long before now and wouldn't be considering renewing the contract for a single second. As others have said, the true judgement of Kroenke (although most of us already know), begins once Wenger has gone.

As Bob says, the very real immediate problem is Wenger, but the biggest and far more difficult problem is / will be Kroenke.

armchair

Post by armchair »

"Two years to win title" with his "best ever squad"
Mans a total fraud.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

armchair wrote:"Two years to win title" with his "best ever squad"
Mans a total fraud.

Fuck me, I saw that headline and thought it was from today's paper for a minute. Phew.

The man has been talking though his back passage ever since the final game at Highbury when he declared that we must never allow the last minute dash to 4th to happen again. Every contract extension and season that has passed since then has seen him sprout more and more bollocks. If I had the energy I'd dig up his quotes from the end of every single season - he's always been delighted with his squad and this must be at least the fifth time he's been the happiest with his current squad

The truth of the matter is that the last team I thought he had that could win the league was in 2008 when he had world class players in Fabregas and Van Persie, and enough other top drawer players to build a complete squad around. Of course he refused to sign a keeper, decent CB and the replacement for PV4.....so instead we kept on being 2-3 players away and watched the top drawer players disappear frustrated to the brink by seeing Almunia, Denilson, Eboue and a whole host of other total shit being given more game time than any other top 4 side would ever grant them

armchair

Post by armchair »

Antonio Conte: "This has been a great season but for it to be a fantastic season we have to win the FA Cup"

Arsene Wenger: "The first trophy is to finish in the top four, and that's still possible. I believe finishing fourth is vital for us, so let's focus on that."

The difference between success and failure.

This type of shit attitude from Wenger filters to the players, staff, everyone. And before you know it everyone believes it.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

From his interview with the Daily Mail in 2009:

"I want to go to the end of my job here. I built this team, I want to deliver with this team and I feel if I left I would have in some way betrayed my own beliefs. It is as simple as that. It was nothing to do with what Real Madrid has done. It was about Arsenal. I have a project here that I started three or four years ago and I want to reach the end of it. I could not leave this team at this stage of their development"

Must still be in development 8 years later.......