THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
armchair

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by armchair »

SteveO 35 wrote:
armchair wrote:"Two years to win title" with his "best ever squad"
Mans a total fraud.

Fuck me, I saw that headline and thought it was from today's paper for a minute. Phew....
He said that a couple years ago. I wanted to repost it today as it's just another one of his lies and fantasies that some sections of our fans and media lap up.

armchair

Post by armchair »

SteveO 35 wrote:From his interview with the Daily Mail in 2009:

"I want to go to the end of my job here. I built this team, I want to deliver with this team and I feel if I left I would have in some way betrayed my own beliefs. It is as simple as that. It was nothing to do with what Real Madrid has done. It was about Arsenal. I have a project here that I started three or four years ago and I want to reach the end of it. I could not leave this team at this stage of their development"

Must still be in development 8 years later.......
More like 11yrs. He says he started it in at least 2006..... :|

General

Post by General »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
The point is, his failure to remove Wenger given his underwhelming achievement over the past decade is a fundamental failing which speaks volumes about the American's priorities and what he looks for in terms of key performance indicators for the club.
Kroenke is guilty of failing to remove Wenger for his failure over the past decade despite only becoming a majority shareholder in 2011?

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

General wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:
The point is, his failure to remove Wenger given his underwhelming achievement over the past decade is a fundamental failing which speaks volumes about the American's priorities and what he looks for in terms of key performance indicators for the club.
Kroenke is guilty of failing to remove Wenger for his failure over the past decade despite only becoming a majority shareholder in 2011?

Absolutely. When Kronke became majority shareholder it was already abundantly clear that the manager was in decline: he had at least four years' evidence to draw on. While I can understand that he might have wanted to give him another year, or perhaps two at most, the "groundhog day" seasons that have followed have betrayed an owner who does not have high expectations of success for the club on the field, as Abramovich does. His failure to deal with Wenger speaks absolute volumes about the sort of club we will continue to be under his stewardship.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
General wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:

Absolutely. When Kronke became majority shareholder it was already abundantly clear that the manager was in decline: he had at least four years' evidence to draw on. While I can understand that he might have wanted to give him another year, or perhaps two at most, the "groundhog day" seasons that have followed have betrayed an owner who does not have high expectations of success for the club on the field, as Abramovich does. His failure to deal with Wenger speaks absolute volumes about the sort of club we will continue to be under his stewardship.
Nail on head, plus just look at his US sports teams who are mediocre at best.

I think people are looking at it the wrong way:

i.e. it's all Wenger's fault so Kroenke is innocent until Wenger goes then if we are s**t he is guilty at some point in the distant future, the problem here is he is already guilty! - in that he has already backed a failing Wenger for a minimum of 3 years too long, as you say showing a total lack of ambition just like he does with his US teams (investments).

I just don't want another 10 years of s**t before we finally remove Kroenke, after 10 years of s**t from Wenger, it seems likely that is what we'll get though so that is why I think it best from next season to ignore the club and cut all ties because it just isn't worth the emotional or financial investment, not criticising anyone who continues to watch Arsenal just think they are ultimately wasting their time when from the very top, no one really gives a toss about winning.

If we appoint Allegri or Kroenke sells up I will probably take an interest again but until then, really wtf is the point?..

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

armchair wrote:"Two years to win title" with his "best ever squad"
Mans a total fraud.

JEEEZZZUSSS MATE! DON'T DO THAT! I thought it was from one of todays rags... Phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! :shock: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Just keep on breathing...just keep on breathing! :oops:

General

Post by General »

Kroenke won't sack Wenger whilst he continued to deliver strong financial results combined with moderate football success and certainly wouldn't have done so when Wenger was able to hide behind the austerity argument between 2006 -2013. We bring home the highest gate fees in world football and that is not going to change this season. You could argue that this is the first time our financial results would take a hit due to the likely absence of CL football. Let's be honest, if any of us were businessmen in Kroenke's position we almost certainly wouldn't sack Wenger either. We can all close our ears and pretend like modern football is all about matters on the pitch but the reality is that for al lot of owners its also about financial performance. Until the protests grow large enough to make Wenger's position untenable, chances are he will be here for another 2years.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

General wrote:Kroenke won't sack Wenger whilst he continued to deliver strong financial results combined with moderate football success and certainly wouldn't have done so when Wenger was able to hide behind the austerity argument between 2006 -2013. We bring home the highest gate fees in world football and that is not going to change this season. You could argue that this is the first time our financial results would take a hit due to the likely absence of CL football. Let's be honest, if any of us were businessmen in Kroenke's position we almost certainly wouldn't sack Wenger either. We can all close our ears and pretend like modern football is all about matters on the pitch but the reality is that for al lot of owners its also about financial performance. Until the protests grow large enough to make Wenger's position untenable, chances are he will be here for another 2years.
Yep. Although, I don't entirely agree with the "if we were businessmen..." bit.
I'd say that investing in sports "purely for the money" is slightly dull. If you just want to turn your 1 billion into 1.2 billion, why not just invest in any old company stock that doesn't require you to attend fan meetings and get dressed up in a red and white tie of an institution you have no emotional affiliation with? Yes, from a business perspective it make sense, but from a human perspective I still find it a bit odd. If I was a filthy rich billionaire I'd either want to be someone like Gates who does a lot of good with his money, or someone like Abrahmovich who just uses if for jokes, buying silverware for a once upon a time also rans club, and massive yachts.

augie

Post by augie »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
General wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:

You honestly believe that ? As a guy that has been critical of wenger since 2007, I feel that I am qualified to say that it is only THIS SEASON where the majority have cottoned on to the fact that he is a busted flush that is dragging us down :roll: If Gooners that have been going to games for years cannot recognize that the manager should be fcuked out of our club, how the fcuk do you expect a guy that knows fcuk all about football and rarely attends a game, to know that the senile old cock has to go ?

There really is a lot of people who are now changing the target lines for which kroenke has to reach :roll: :oops: :oops:

Blood_Gooner

Post by Blood_Gooner »

JFK! What kinda pact did TOF make with the devil? The man is the ultimate top 4 merchant. Unmitigated luck. Pulled off an unlikely win at Soton, currently leading at the inbreds and will thus shift the pressure onto the hubcap snatching lowlives, whom I'm sure will wilt under the pressure.

TOF's 'greatest achievement' inevitable at this point, lads. Brace yourself for the AKBs piping up, the pundits to wax on lyrically about the old charlatan and the new 3 year contract. :cussing:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Very Well Done Lads!

:barscarf: . :barscarf: . :barscarf: . :barscarf:

#WENGEROUT MEANS OUT!!!

:barscarf: . :barscarf: . :barscarf: . :barscarf:

Tollgoon

Post by Tollgoon »

Nice one on the banner, hope he gets asked about it

General

Post by General »

cameron326 wrote:
General wrote:Kroenke won't sack Wenger whilst he continued to deliver strong financial results combined with moderate football success and certainly wouldn't have done so when Wenger was able to hide behind the austerity argument between 2006 -2013. We bring home the highest gate fees in world football and that is not going to change this season. You could argue that this is the first time our financial results would take a hit due to the likely absence of CL football. Let's be honest, if any of us were businessmen in Kroenke's position we almost certainly wouldn't sack Wenger either. We can all close our ears and pretend like modern football is all about matters on the pitch but the reality is that for al lot of owners its also about financial performance. Until the protests grow large enough to make Wenger's position untenable, chances are he will be here for another 2years.
Yep. Although, I don't entirely agree with the "if we were businessmen..." bit.
I'd say that investing in sports "purely for the money" is slightly dull. If you just want to turn your 1 billion into 1.2 billion, why not just invest in any old company stock that doesn't require you to attend fan meetings and get dressed up in a red and white tie of an institution you have no emotional affiliation with? Yes, from a business perspective it make sense, but from a human perspective I still find it a bit odd. If I was a filthy rich billionaire I'd either want to be someone like Gates who does a lot of good with his money, or someone like Abrahmovich who just uses if for jokes, buying silverware for a once upon a time also rans club, and massive yachts.
I think I said "businessmen in Kroenke's position" so the context is different to what you are implying. He clearly enjoys the commercial satisfaction from investing in sports teams otherwise he wouldn't be investing in a long list of them. Contrary to popular belief, investing in football clubs like ours is rewarding and almost risk free. Look into CVC capital and F1 and you'll see the differences. We also have modern infrastructure which can be used to offset any losses. The idea that he could easily have bought some other stocks and made similar returns fails to consider the risks. The progressive sterilization of our brand is what gets him off not trophies. In between Gates and Abramovich there are many him out there. It sucks but he's doing anything different to what the board did before he became a majority shareholder. Our best hope is that at some point we find a motivated manager who will make the best use of the resources he has available because this boardroom stalemate is not going to resolve itself anytime soon. Targeting him now is just a wasted emotion.
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footbal ... 02046.html

“What did I learn specifically [from England]? You learn very quickly what that brand means,” said Kroenke.

“We have a gentleman who comes to Arsenal games, he flies his helicopter from South Africa, Cape Town to London quite often. It’s just an example of what a brand can mean, and what we can do in sports.

“We’re all working on that and that’s the big opportunity. Michael Jordan showed it - you can get paid a whole lot more if you can extend your brand. Manchester United showed it. They established benchmarks that people had thought heretofore unattainable, but their brand extension made people want to pay for it.”

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Seems like he's staying and Gazides is going back to America.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Too mny people are being seduced by this run of games. It happens every year - the likes of Keown, Cross among few, start to get vocal in thier crtiicism, but then once a run of results comes along, they get on board with Wenger and talk about how 'next season' Wenger can 'put things right'.

Its happened too many times to count now.

Although, i actually think we will pip Liverpool to 4th. And I dont know how to feel about it. Because you just know the 'I told you so' brigade will come out.