THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
NickF

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by NickF »

GoonerMuzz wrote:

Maybe, just maybe learn a lesson because what started well and after the first two marches should have seen a massive boost to numbers at a time when the manager and team were at rock bottom instead saw people drift away! You have to ask yourselves why, you can blame apathy and indifference all you want but that's just the easy option a more realistic analysis would be that alongside this anyone not directly involved in the protest was seen as the enemy and treated as such thereby forcing people away rather than bringing them in.
Nothing to do with results picking up then? At WBA and Crystal Palace away there were loads of banners and anti-Wenger chants. We win the following week at Boro at from the same people there is nothing. Suddenly there was a whiff of the fourth place trophy and the protest just dies.

The most frustrating thing was that the majority probably want he gone but wouldn't do anything some even stating they prefer a pint in the pub rather than join the protest. At the end of the day you have to accept that even if you don't like it.

There are some on here and loads on twitter who use the c word when referring to Wenger, but what can the organisers do about that?

How do you think we could have got more people involved because as far as could see it was apathy, West Ham game being a perfect example?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:cry: :cry: :cry: Arsene Wenger Is Our Manager. :cry: :cry: :cry:

phpBB [video]

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

GoonerMuzz wrote:I said it before and i'll say it again even if it offends, the protests really started well but the reason it didn't garner greater support was the attitude of 'you're either with us or against us'!

For fucks sake guys the purile, arrogant and downright offensive attitude to the non-converted was at best dismissive at worst deeply insulting and yet some of you are confused as to why more people did not join? You don't have an advertising campaign calling your potential customers cnuts and then expect them to suddenly buy your product.

Barring maybe two or three posters on here everyone wants shot of Wenger, some want shot of the Wiggy *word censored* too, but the absolutely crap attitude of 'join or you're *word censored*' has done more to damn the protests, than any bus, plane, banner or march has done to promote them. This attitude hasn't just been on this forum but all over social media too.

Maybe, just maybe learn a lesson because what started well and after the first two marches should have seen a massive boost to numbers at a time when the manager and team were at rock bottom instead saw people drift away! You have to ask yourselves why, you can blame apathy and indifference all you want but that's just the easy option a more realistic analysis would be that alongside this anyone not directly involved in the protest was seen as the enemy and treated as such thereby forcing people away rather than bringing them in.

It's happened on here, anyone not towing the party line of Wenger is the Devil gets abused and shouted down no matter how many times those posters have tried to post reasoned arguments. You can having differing views that are both right in their own way, but people are so polarised that even here on this forum your a flip-flopper if you don't criticise every little thing Wenger does.

OBG is right, this place has become contaminated by Wenger as much as the club has and the fact that we can't even have a reasoned argument without individuals resorting to petty name calling and abuse really does nothing to endear the 'Online Gooner' to any outsider coming on here to get information about the protests and campaign to remove Wenger.

For those who are chosing to walk away because we are not rid of him, i can totally understand and respect that, me personally i'm not there yet, i've supported the club for 35 years and in that time i've been ecstatic, depressed and indifferent at various times but i'll keep supporting them and eventually things will change for the better at some point.

So to those taking a break, a time out or completely putting Arsenal aside for however long, good luck and enjoy whatever you do instead! I'm fairly sure most of us will still be here if and when you come back, even if a little greyer, fatter and in some cases shorter. UTA :barscarf: :barscarf: :wink:
With all due respect, as one who has been involved from the start, that is crap. People drifted off because they couldn't be bothered and we went on one of our 4th place chasing winning runs. And I would guess that 90% of our fans,whether they care to admit it or not, want to see us in the CL and they do NOT want to upset the team. The bus was a perfect example, the MAIN reason people didn't want to get on was because there was no booze...and I know that for a fact. If people don't want to join fair enough but don't blame us for people's apathy. We made the decision before the projections to do things that did not involve trying to raise bodies...hence the projections & yesterdays plane. We thought after the spurs mauling that people would be angry enough to join another march, nope not angry enough..and it was Man. U so they couldn't you see...As Armchair so often says, there is ALWAYS an excuse to do nothing.We have one more thing planned for later this week, again we do not require bodies.

I don't think anybody deserves credit for what has been done so far...do you deserve credit for doing what you are meant to do??....it's like being a good dad..you are meant to be a good parent and I think people who love their club have an obligation to do whatever they can to rectify what is going on at AFC...how much longer are we meant to put up with this intolerable shit??

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

If Wenger were a Piano Mover:

phpBB [video]

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Graham71 wrote: I work with a couple of Liverpool fans "things will change for the better at some point" has been their mantra for 27 years.A once great club now like us happy with 4th place.
This season has been coming.You cant keep a useless out of date manager at the club because of what he did in 2004.
Things wont get better because the club is not geared to get better.The whole aim of the club is to get top 4.Every season is the same as the last.Start well collapse in mid season get knocked out in the last 16 of the CL when we play a half decent team finish well when the pressure is off and sneak 4th.And we wonder why our best players Vieira Henry Cesc RVP and soon to be Sanchez leave to join better teams.
Be careful what you wish for thats what the AKB's keeping us.Thats what the fans of Chelsea Barca Madrid and Bayern fans must have said when they sacked CL and league winning managers.
I walked away 7 years ago and havent regretted it.Kroenke Wenger and the useless shower of shite on the pitch bar Sanchez dont get any of my hard earned money
Yep all because we have a c*nt 'owner' who is only interested in making money rather than winning trophies and no the FA cup doesn't count because beating teams like Lincoln and Sutton is hardly the same as winning the CL!!, effectively since 2004 we have won 0 trophies when put in that context it really is even more pathetic.

I wish I walked away earlier than 2 years ago, I suspect a lot more will be walking away this year, good luck filling the stadium with tourists wiggy and co.

:twisted:

Block93

Post by Block93 »

Assuming we don't make CL places, it will be interesting to see the 2017/18 season ticket policy and prices. You can just about tolerate paying for seven cup ties up front, but when most of them will now be Europa League on a Thursday, it changes the dynamic slightly. Even the most dismal CL midweek opponent would sell on the Ticket Exchange, but Europa opponents will hardly get people rushing to pay silly money.

I think there's some serious discussions going on behind closed doors on season tickets, and with the prospect of Alexis heading off then there is little to justify even keeping prices at last season's level, irrespective of the waiting list.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

In my opinion, there were two main reasons why the protests lost momentum:

1. Going into the first protest, it was unclear as to what the reaction might be, as it was uncharted territory. However, despite a decent turnout and significant press coverage, Wenger and the club made it pretty clear that they couldn't give a fuck about it and that they were going to carry on regardless. "1,000 people turn up? Great Arsene, just tell the press that 100 were there and that the other 59,000 are happy and we'll continue to write our own narrative". Once the club made it abundantly clear that they weren't going to listen to their fans and instead turn a blind eye - irrespective of the number of protests and protestors - it seemed pretty futile to continue, despite the best interests of the organisers and everyone who took part.

2. The entire concept of the protests was an organic movement started up by fans here - not affiliated with any fans' group - but to me, it felt like it was slowly hijacked by the attention whores at Arsenal Fan TV, and they slowly turned it into one of their usual charades. This channel is a laughing stock even amongst staunch Wenger Out fans, so I'm not surprised people didn't want to be associated with them.

I said earlier this year that if the club refused to listen to the fans (not just those protesting, but the 78% of the AST who want him gone), then I'd walk away. But the way they completely dismissed the protests of their own fans sped up my decision and it's a club I can no longer support, unfortunately.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

VoiceOfReason wrote:In my opinion, there were two main reasons why the protests lost momentum:

1. Going into the first protest, it was unclear as to what the reaction might be, as it was uncharted territory. However, despite a decent turnout and significant press coverage, Wenger and the club made it pretty clear that they couldn't give a fuck about it and that they were going to carry on regardless. "1,000 people turn up? Great Arsene, just tell the press that 100 were there and that the other 59,000 are happy and we'll continue to write our own narrative". Once the club made it abundantly clear that they weren't going to listen to their fans and instead turn a blind eye - irrespective of the number of protests and protestors - it seemed pretty futile to continue, despite the best interests of the organisers and everyone who took part.

2. The entire concept of the protests was an organic movement started up by fans here - not affiliated with any fans' group - but to me, it felt like it was slowly hijacked by the attention whores at Arsenal Fan TV, and they slowly turned it into one of their usual charades. This channel is a laughing stock even amongst staunch Wenger Out fans, so I'm not surprised people didn't want to be associated with them.

I said earlier this year that if the club refused to listen to the fans (not just those protesting, but the 78% of the AST who want him gone), then I'd walk away. But the way they completely dismissed the protests of their own fans sped up my decision and it's a club I can no longer support, unfortunately.
|The third reason is that the supporters that want him out the most can't afford to go to matches as they've been priced out, therefore attending a protest on a match day is not feasible.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Im actually pleased Liverpool won. They deserve it more than us. They have struggled in recent years, but always seek to improve. Where as we settled for being consistently not good enough to win the league, but consistently good enough to finish in the top 4. This clubs desire for CL football was to sustain reliable revenue streams. We never had any desire to win it, or even use it to build a platform in the domestic league.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

So get this, Wenger is spinning this season as a success at is looks like we will pass last seasons tally of 71 points. Although last year he said we were showing progress because we finished 2nd (with 71 points). However, the year before last, we finished 3rd with 75 points.

So he literally chooses to define improvement in either league position, or points tally - which ever is higher than the season before.

Not even Donald Trump is more convinced of his own bullshit than Arsene Wenger.

Why on earth to dimwit fans play along with this level of delusion? He insults your intelligence when he moves the goal posts like this, yet some support him anyway. The 'Wenger in' brigade are not a movement - they are part of a cult.

armchair

Post by armchair »

Nos89 wrote: |The third reason is that the supporters that want him out the most can't afford to go to matches as they've been priced out, therefore attending a protest on a match day is not feasible.
Not true. All of the protests organised by the "No New Contract" group were outside the ground as far as I'm aware.
Many people went to protests and didn't go to games.

Just another made up nonsense excuse to do nothing.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

A good time to sack the *word censored*....

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Haha!
Le Nutcase denies Chelsea's achievement in the Daily Express...
Will someone gag the fuck out of this imbecile it is really becoming cringeworthy and are not the thoughts of Arsenal FC but ARSENE FC

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

armchair wrote:
Nos89 wrote: |The third reason is that the supporters that want him out the most can't afford to go to matches as they've been priced out, therefore attending a protest on a match day is not feasible.
Not true. All of the protests organised by the "No New Contract" group were outside the ground as far as I'm aware.
Many people went to protests and didn't go to games.

Just another made up nonsense excuse to do nothing.
Made my morning :lol: :lol: :lol:

NickF

Post by NickF »

VoiceOfReason wrote: The entire concept of the protests was an organic movement started up by fans here - not affiliated with any fans' group - but to me, it felt like it was slowly hijacked by the attention whores at Arsenal Fan TV, and they slowly turned it into one of their usual charades. This channel is a laughing stock even amongst staunch Wenger Out fans, so I'm not surprised people didn't want to be associated with them.
Could you explain what you mean by that?
DT was at a couple of the early one's but as far as I am aware, he just held a banner and chanted like anyone else did. What is the "charade" you are referring to?