THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Dudeface

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Dudeface »

General

Post by General »

He said the same thing about playing in a negative atmosphere last season and said something along the lines of away from home we are champions. Personally after watching that interview and his refusal to do the end of season parade, I don't see how he can sign a new contract. He has worked himself into an impossible position and he wouldn't survive another season let alone two. I've said before that the board are being naive of they think they can announce a raft of structural changes in the hope of staving off the discontent. I suspect he's leaning towards the exit door but SK wants him to stay.

Swiss Tony Adams

Post by Swiss Tony Adams »

Clash wrote:
Arsenal in 2017 are in a unique and freakish situation. Mainly caused by one unbelievably selfish man not knowing when it was time to go.
I think it's so similar to Clough and Forest.
Started brilliantly, then faded a bit, had a slight renaissance, then crashed and burned.

Forest obviously League Champs, then European Cups, then faded, then a minor return with a couple of domestic cups and then relegation out of the first season of the Premier League.

Arsene FC has done exactly that...so far. We're at the " a couple of domestic cups" stage now.

armchair

Post by armchair »

Wenger finally admitting all the uncertainty surrounding his future does affect the players/results.................
while steadfastly refusing to clarify his future.

Maybe because it isn't his decision to make any more?

Swiss Tony Adams

Post by Swiss Tony Adams »

armchair wrote:
Here's hoping...

I think you're right though.

If it's true that 2 of the Board oppose Wenger then it still isn't close though.
Arsenal Board is Chips, Gazidis, Lord Harris, Ken Friar and Kroenke jr and snr.

I'm guessing Gazidis and A.N. Other want him out.
Still leaves Kroenke and son in the position of power...unless it's Kroenke Jr. that's with Gazidis, which I doubt, but you never know.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Did anybody see if our brave lads did a lap of honour??

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Swiss Tony Adams wrote:
Clash wrote:
Arsenal in 2017 are in a unique and freakish situation. Mainly caused by one unbelievably selfish man not knowing when it was time to go.
I think it's so similar to Clough and Forest.
Started brilliantly, then faded a bit, had a slight renaissance, then crashed and burned.

Forest obviously League Champs, then European Cups, then faded, then a minor return with a couple of domestic cups and then relegation out of the first season of the Premier League.

Arsene FC has done exactly that...so far. We're at the " a couple of domestic cups" stage now.
The Cloughie comparison is very true and it's been mentioned on here for years. The key difference is that Cloughie won two European Cups and Wanker has none. Cloughie's boozing fucked Forest in the end and Wanker's ego and narcissism has fucked us. Forest got relegated and when you think about it, today, Wanker has managed us to the modern football equivalent of relegation.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... enger.html

Asked if SK was at the game, Wenger replied..."I don't know"????

And he admits that the uncertainty over his future affected the players and the reason they never got into CL. Sounds like classic Wenger, he obviously HASN'T been offered a new contract and is now blaming the board for the uncertainty.

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

I feel so fucking dirty. I actually cheered the first 2 bin dipper goals. That is what this man has done to me. I cannot forgive him. :oops: :cry:

ten20

Post by ten20 »

xisstential wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... enger.html

Asked if SK was at the game, Wenger replied..."I don't know"????

And he admits that the uncertainty over his future affected the players and the reason they never got into CL. Sounds like classic Wenger, he obviously HASN'T been offered a new contract and is now blaming the board for the uncertainty.

Yep. I was a bit despondent and resigned to the fact he was staying before today. But seeing the post match press conference and the sky interview I think we have entered the final week of the *word censored*

Sad that is has come to this, but losing to Chelsea will finish him off.

Can't believe I'm typing this but I hope they give us a good thrashing.

wilko49er

Post by wilko49er »

Lot of " Dont knows" and "Look" comments. Total Dickhead!!
ARSENE WENGER'S POST-MATCH CONFERENCE – FULL TRANSCRIPT
What is your reaction to missing out on the Champions League?

'I don’t know yet, because we have not started the Champions League. But it’s very sad, because for 20 years we were in it, and it is the first year we will not be in it. It’s very strange because for 75 points we are one point short, and of course you can look everywhere where we did drop points.'

'Overall I believe that we played since January in a very difficult environment for different reasons. Some obviously that you know about, and that is very difficult for the group of players to cope with that.

'Some other reasons where we will talk about another day. But psychological environment for the group of the players was absolutely horrendous. I am very proud of what they have done, the way they responded and finished the season.'

Why didn't you join the players walking around the pitch on the lap of honour? (Wenger was on the pitch but stayed in his dugout)

'I wanted the players, they have been disturbed enough. I was out there, to show respect, but I wanted the players to have the quiet lap of honour they deserved.'

So you've not said farewell then?

'No, not at all.'

What are your thoughts on the chants against Stan Kroenke?

'I think you respect everybody in life. I respect Stan Kroenke a lot. He is not at fault if we did not reach the Champions League tonight. It is the technical department who is responsible for that. I don’t see what he has to do with that.'

What are your thoughts on that situation?

'Look, that’s not my problem. A club works when everybody does his job. We live in a society where today everybody has an opinion, people don’t stop to talk [don’t stop talking], they do little and they talk a lot. But that doesn’t move society forward, what moves society forward is people who work, really, and talk not too much.'

Is Stan here at the game?

“I don’t know.”

Is this the most difficult it has ever been at Arsenal for you, and why?

'I don’t know. It has been difficult, yes. Certainly my personal situation has contributed to that. But they should not question, I am professional, as long as I am somewhere I do my job until the last day. You could not question my love or my loyalty to this club, because I said no to every club in the world to stay here with very restricted finances for years. So I don’t understand really why the question that commitment.'

What about Usmanov?

“That again is not my problem.”

Arsenal lost nine games this season, where do you need to improve?

'Look, I will tell you as well we won 23. And in the unbeaten year (2003-04) they won 26. So we are not far away. It’s true that we lost too many games and that’s where we will find the points that we missed tonight. That was down to a period where we weren’t stable defensively, and unsettled mentally as well, by the exit, the way it happened against Bayern Munich.'

Should your future have been sorted sooner?

'You have been at the games, and you cannot say that the environment for the group of players was especially positive.'

Why has it not been sorted?

'I don't know. What is important is that we do our job. We are professional people and a part of being professional is to perform when the environment is not positive so we have not to look there, as well, as an excuse. But I just say it's a fact it doesn't help.'

Since February time, have you have offers from other teams?

'Look, my personal situation tonight is not so important. I care about this club. Even if I leave one day, I will love this club until the last day of my life and I want the club to do well. That's all I care about tonight. It's not my personal situation. It's just how well the club responds next season.'

Do you accept responsibility in terms of your personal situation affecting and the general mood?

'Yes. Of course.'

With your personal situation, it is important, therefore, to have clarity sooner rather than later? Is it a regret that hasn't happened?

'No, because if I stop one day, I will still work until the last day of the season. I left in some other places when I was at the end of the contract and I still worked with the same commitment until the last day of my contract.'

You obviously have another game, the cup final?

'Oh! What a subject.'

Is it then important to have clarity before that, surely?

'We won seven of the last eight games, despite the lack of clarity, so I think we have just to focus to win the next one.'

When did the lack of clarity, then, affect the team?

'It's a good question. I cannot give you the answer today. I will give you an answer one day. But not today.'

Is that because the goal-posts have been moved?

'I don't understand what you want to hear from me but my situation will be sorted out soon. So let's prepare for the cup final.'

Who are you protecting by not talking today?

'I protect nobody.'

So why not say what the problems have been?

'Because it's not the moment to speak about some different things. There's nothing bad.'

The fans are wondering why they are not in the Champions League?

'You want to use the excuse of the fans to know more! You have to find something different.'

It just seems like the moment to explain?

'No. It's not the moment. I am free to decide when is the moment or not.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football

armchair

Post by armchair »

Chippy wrote:I feel so fucking dirty. I actually cheered the first 2 bin dipper goals. That is what this man has done to me. I cannot forgive him. :oops: :cry:
Chippy, where da fuq have you been.....?
This place has gone down the shitter without you.
:wink: :lol:

armchair

Post by armchair »

So our protests have affected him. And they've also encouraged Gazidis to move on him I believe.

And maybe it gave Usmanov the opportunity to move when he did also?

This could be the end of him. (I reckon it is)

So to all of you who said our protests were "pointless" - A big F. U. :barscarf:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Swiss Tony Adams wrote:
armchair wrote:
Here's hoping...

I think you're right though.

If it's true that 2 of the Board oppose Wenger then it still isn't close though.
Arsenal Board is Chips, Gazidis, Lord Harris, Ken Friar and Kroenke jr and snr.

I'm guessing Gazidis and A.N. Other want him out.
Still leaves Kroenke and son in the position of power...unless it's Kroenke Jr. that's with Gazidis, which I doubt, but you never know.

I wonder if it is Sir Chips Keswick who is the second person?
Remember he stormed out of Selhurst park in the 2nd half whilst they were beating us. Maybe Gazidis got to him after that...The timing (10th April) would also make sense about the Usmanov bid which appears to have been made in mid April.
It would also explain why Wenger didn't after all announce his decision by the end of that month.

Ok it's a theory which is probably total bollocks but things are starting to make a bit more sense now.
The club will be praying we don't get hammered in the cup final otherwise they have got problems.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Did anyone else notice that in his post match interview, behind him were adverts saying "Despicable Me 3"?