THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
armchair

Re: Arsene Wenger Points of View.

Post by armchair »

Clash wrote:
richpye wrote:16th year Anniversary of Arsene's appointment today.
Ok the recent years have been rocky, but overall pretty decent

P905 W522 D207 L176 1668 gls 1.98pts/game + 3 EPL Titles (Invincibles!) + 4 FA Cups #AFC

Stats from @fkhanage via Twitter
Is it wrong to think that 3 titles in 16 years isnt actually that impressive? 7 trophies in 16 years isnt that great a ratio either.

And if we take into account that we've done 2 doubles under Wenger then 4 of those trophies came in 2 seasons. Meaning we have finished empty handed in 11 of the 16 seasons with Wenger in charge.

George Graham won 6 trophies in 8 seasons. Wenger hasnt won anything since the last of the players from the Graham era left the club.

Also, when Wenger took over Arsenal were joint 2nd with Man United for title wins and now they are 6 ahead.

I'm not trying to belittle Wenger but facts are facts and I dont think he is the genius most of us would have said he was a few years back.
Yep. Wenker has not won a thing with a squad comprised solely of his own signings
EDIT:- Cept for Emirates Cup that is. :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:

P905 W522 D207 L176 1668 gls 1.98pts/game + 3 EPL Titles (Invincibles!) + 4 FA Cups #AFC

Is it wrong to think that 3 titles in 16 years isnt actually that impressive? 7 trophies in 16 years isnt that great a ratio either.

And if we take into account that we've done 2 doubles under Wenger then 4 of those trophies came in 2 seasons. Meaning we have finished empty handed in 11 of the 16 seasons with Wenger in charge.

George Graham won 6 trophies in 8 seasons. Wenger hasnt won anything since the last of the players from the Graham era left the club.

Also, when Wenger took over Arsenal were joint 2nd with Man United for title wins and now they are 6 ahead.

I'm not trying to belittle Wenger but facts are facts and I dont think he is the genius most of us would have said he was a few years back.

^^^ This 100% 8)

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Clash wrote:

^^^ This 100% 8)
Its a bit of a harsh comparison, if you remember the end of the George Graham era the club was in a shambles. We had the likes of david hillier, eddie mcgoldrick and glenn helder in midfield, at least if you look at the club today we have at least half a dozen players that would compete for a place in pretty much every other top 4 club. Also graham was kicked out of the club, if he stayed on would he have been able to maintain that sort of ratio, somehow I doubt it.

Arsenal only won the title 3 times pre GG after the second world war, thats in nearly 40 years. So wenger has won it the same amount of times in 16 years. The problem these days is money does buy success, and Arsenal wont spend as much as the other clubs which isn't really an issue for me. This year we have bought 2 or 3 quality players for the first time in a number of seasons and hopefully we can start to compete, we shall see.

Red Member

Post by Red Member »

Clash wrote:

thats being a bit negative. the fact is between 1953 and May 1989 Arsenal won the league only once. So if Wenger stays for another 20 years and doesnt win the league again he has still done well in my opinion.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Red Member wrote:
Clash wrote:

thats being a bit negative. the fact is between 1953 and May 1989 Arsenal won the league only once. So if Wenger stays for another 20 years and doesnt win the league again he has still done well in my opinion.
Am I misunderstand you mate or are you saying he'd have done well to win 3 titles in 36 years ? :D

Anyway Im not denying the club has had barren spells in the past but between 1953 and 1989 they had several managers - not just one. I assume the sackings were the club at least trying to improve. And if the reason they weren't successful was because of incompotence rather than lack of ambition then personally I find that easier to accept.

Also, the inference often made is that Wenger has taken us to new heights but its not really the case. He hasnt done anything that hadnt been previously at the club many times. We'd won a number of League titles and FA cups before he came. Wenger has added to that total.

The unbeaten season is unique to the Wenger era of course but even then Graham's team were only 1 game from being the first to that.

Red Member

Post by Red Member »

I have to take back the 36 years comment otherwise I will get banned from here.

I stand by the fact that Wenger has done well to win 3 league titles in 16 years though.

Apologies if anyone thought I was wumming.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Red Member wrote:I have to take back the 36 years comment otherwise I will get banned from here.

I stand by the fact that Wenger has done well to win 3 league titles in 16 years though.

YOU!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Wumming!!!!???? as iffff :roll:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Graham was a 2-1 defeat against Chelsea away from it ,a great season .

Meantime stop bitching and get behind the team !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Red Member wrote:I have to take back the 36 years comment otherwise I will get banned from here.

Hang on there a second. As you have brought this out into the forum then I'll address your comment here rather than by PM.

Let's get one thring straight; no one told you to retract anything or you'd get banned.

I PM'd you and warned you that anymore troll or WUM type behaviour in general would get you banned. I specifically mentioned your comment "So if Wenger stays for another 20 years and doesnt win the league again he has still done well in my opinion" as it is a good example of a comment very obviously designed to provoke a negative reaction and wind people up. That is troll-type behaviour. It's not a one off either, you have continuously posted these type of idiotic provocative statements and have been warned by other mods.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:

Hang on there a second. As you have brought this out into the forum then I'll address your comment here rather than by PM.

Let's get one thring straight; no one told you to retract anything or you'd get banned.

I PM'd you and warned you that anymore troll or WUM type behaviour in general would get you banned. I specifically mentioned your comment "So if Wenger stays for another 20 years and doesnt win the league again he has still done well in my opinion" as it is a good example of a comment very obviously designed to provoke a negative reaction and wind people up. That is troll-type behaviour. It's not a one off either, you have continuously posted these type of idiotic provocative statements and have been warned by other mods.
:high5: :barscarf:

ps: So There!. :D

mikeyb772001
Location: Block 6! Drunk and standing next to a mad man with no clothes on!

Post by mikeyb772001 »

Clash wrote:
Red Member wrote:
Clash wrote:

Am I misunderstand you mate or are you saying he'd have done well to win 3 titles in 36 years ? :D

Anyway Im not denying the club has had barren spells in the past but between 1953 and 1989 they had several managers - not just one. I assume the sackings were the club at least trying to improve. And if the reason they weren't successful was because of incompotence rather than lack of ambition then personally I find that easier to accept.

Also, the inference often made is that Wenger has taken us to new heights but its not really the case. He hasnt done anything that hadnt been previously at the club many times. We'd won a number of League titles and FA cups before he came. Wenger has added to that total.

The unbeaten season is unique to the Wenger era of course but even then Graham's team were only 1 game from being the first to that.

Lets not forget about that match either! It was a freak game that we should of won! I wish to god we beat Chelsea that day. We also scored more goals that season and with a team of local lads

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

This is our club!

Post by This is our club! »

northbank123 wrote:Enjoy this grenade...

http://justarsenal.com/wenger-turns-dow ... um=twitter

Truely shocking!! Who are these people? It's like a Wenger cult. "Arsene is Arsenal", "if Wenger goes I'll stop watching Arsenal". Unbelievable....ok , if you are of the opinion he stays...fine, you are entitled to that but reading this I have the feeling that to some people the club is secondary to Wenger. We are The Arsenal, we have a long proud pre-Wenger history, let's not forget that! I despair at some 'fans' and what we have become, I really do. :banghead:

REB

Post by REB »

This is our club! wrote:

Truely shocking!! Who are these people? It's like a Wenger cult. "Arsene is Arsenal", "if Wenger goes I'll stop watching Arsenal". Unbelievable....ok , if you are of the opinion he stays...fine, you are entitled to that but reading this I have the feeling that to some people the club is secondary to Wenger. We are The Arsenal, we have a long proud pre-Wenger history, let's not forget that! I despair at some 'fans' and what we have become, I really do. :banghead:

we all despair. welcome to mongfest@arsenal2012 :cry:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

FUCKIN' BOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM! :banghead: :banghead: :twisted: :twisted: :cry: :cry: :suicide: