THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Mdavey

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Mdavey »

I agree with every other Arsenal fan, the lack of transfer activity has been extremely frustrating. But I'm still more than happy for Wenger to be managing the club.

The main thing to look at would be who would you replace him with?

When I look at Liverpool for example who have struggled to find a long term manager, they've floated around with quite a few managers over the last 5 years all having very little success, and have also spent quite a lot of money. Fair enough Brendan Rogers has done ok, but I'd choose to have Wenger over Rogers any day.
The second example would be Man U, obviously had one of the most successful managers of all time and are struggling to replace him after trying David Moyes and now Van Gaal. Obviously Van Gaal has had a very successful managerial career, but he doesn't look like he'll do the business this season. Again over those managers I would still choose Wenger.

The only potential realistic replacement I can see is Klopp who had a great time at Dortmund, but after his final season there would he be a bit of a gamble? It's a tough one.

I'm interested to know what managers people would think could replace Wenger? and whether after really thinking about it would show him the door, even if he does continuously make you :banghead: when the transfer markets close.

also to note.. I'm very happy with winning the FA cup for the last 2 years! :D

Clash

Post by Clash »

Mdavey wrote:I agree with every other Arsenal fan, the lack of transfer activity has been extremely frustrating. But I'm still more than happy for Wenger to be managing the club.

In answer to you question would take anyone but Wenger. Literally anyone.

I would rather drag a tramp in off the street to be our manager than stick with Wenger. And I am quite serious about that.

I'd even consider an animal of some kind ahead of Wenger. A gibbon for instance. And I am quite serious about that too :barscarf:

donaldo71

Post by donaldo71 »

[quote="Mdavey"]I agree with every other Arsenal fan, the lack of transfer activity has been extremely frustrating. But I'm still more than happy for Wenger to be managing the club.

The main thing to look at would be who would you replace him with? /quote]

Carlo Ancelotti. Next question

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

Mdavey wrote:I agree with every other Arsenal fan, the lack of transfer activity has been extremely frustrating. But I'm still more than happy for Wenger to be managing the club.

! :D
Stupid question: Carlo Ancelotti.

Ridiculous to suggest there's no other managers when Chelsea, Citeh, Barca, Bayern, Real, Atletico Madrid and Dortmund have all changed managers over the past decade and won league titles. Just because you're not imaginative enough to come up with a name isn't a defence to carry on with an inept clown. So not only are there no players available in the transfer market apparently, but there's no managers too eh? Poor unique Arsenal. How do those other clubs do it! :roll:

Mdavey

Post by Mdavey »

Clash wrote:

I would rather drag a tramp in off the street to be our manager than stick with Wenger. And I am quite serious about that.

I'd even consider an animal of some kind ahead of Wenger. A gibbon for instance. And I am quite serious about that too :barscarf:
I must admit I like the idea of seeing a Gibbon in the trademark Wenger sleeping bag coat! But come on.. the guy isn't that bad.

Ancelotti is a good shout, certainly not afraid to spend money! But are you looking for a long term successful manager or just someone to come in have a quick flurry of cash, have a successful first season and then a poor second then leave? (which seems to be a common trend of his). To be fair if he won us the Premier league and/or the Champions league then I wouldn't have a problem with him leaving after a couple of years..

foxinthebox2001

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Clash wrote:

To answer this seriously, any coach that trains the players properly, plays them in their best position, and gives them tactical formations that allows the team to play at its maximum. Furthermore, uses the resources at his disposal to bring together the best group of players to get results that make the club successful, without getting bogged down in the financial side.
To manage the team mid game, if the opposition are in the ascendancy, make changes of personel or tactics to overcome this and not neccessarily wait until the 65th minute to do so, when it could be too late.
I know its a pipedream, but there must be someone out there.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

When I look at Liverpool for example who have struggled to find a long term manager, they've floated around with quite a few managers over the last 5 years all having very little success, and have also spent quite a lot of money. Fair enough Brendan Rogers has done ok, but I'd choose to have Wenger over Rogers any day.
The second example would be Man U, obviously had one of the most successful managers of all time and are struggling to replace him after trying David Moyes and now Van Gaal. Obviously Van Gaal has had a very successful managerial career, but he doesn't look like he'll do the business this season. Again over those managers I would still choose Wenger.

The only potential realistic replacement I can see is Klopp who had a great time at Dortmund, but after his final season there would he be a bit of a gamble? It's a tough one.

I'm interested to know what managers people would think could replace Wenger? and whether after really thinking about it would show him the door, even if he does continuously make you :banghead: when the transfer markets close.

well this is a bit different :D
seriously though welcome to the forum, it can probably do with an injection of positivity regarding the club.
if you hang around though I am sure you may alter your views....

I agree with your last sentence, I too am also happy with winning the FA Cup these past 2 years.
the trouble is our lack of competing to challenge for the title - more to the point the lack of trying to compete for the title

I accept that there were not many top class strikers available this summer but havent we needed a striker to replace RVP (who left 3 years ago)? And surely there are 91 other managers in the football league who would have identified that we needed another DM for this season?

there are many many other reasons for disposing of Wenger which I am sure you will have brought to your attention on here if you stick around long enough...

augie

Post by augie »

Mdavey wrote:
Clash wrote:

I must admit I like the idea of seeing a Gibbon in the trademark Wenger sleeping bag coat! But come on.. the guy isn't that bad.

Ancelotti is a good shout, certainly not afraid to spend money! But are you looking for a long term successful manager or just someone to come in have a quick flurry of cash, have a successful first season and then a poor second then leave? (which seems to be a common trend of his). To be fair if he won us the Premier league and/or the Champions league then I wouldn't have a problem with him leaving after a couple of years..

Or of course we could hire a manager that has a brilliant first 8 years (when he added a few pieces to what was already a strong, experienced and successful nucleas) and is allowed to live off that success for the next 8 years despite turning the club into an unambitious small time mentality loser paradise :roll:
I would take klopp and ancelotti over this w*nker any day of the week and I absolutely despise the thought process which suggests that we couldn't entice a top manager or player from other big clubs.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Let's be realistic, the lack of transfer activity was nothing to do with no one being available or clubs not wanting to sell, it was due to Wenger knowing that we don't need signings to finish top four, and that sums up his mentality. Your pleased with Wenger to stay on, what does he achieve? We haven't won a league title in 11 years,and haven't even finished in the top two since 2005. It wouldn't be too hard for another manager to do better.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Mdavey wrote:The main thing to look at would be who would you replace him with?
I know, right?

Which other elite-level manager could we possibly employ on the measly £8m p/a salary that we currently pay Wenger with? :suicide:

kiwomya

Post by kiwomya »

BFG4 wrote:

Let's be realistic, the lack of transfer activity was nothing to do with no one being available or clubs not wanting to sell, it was due to Wenger knowing that we don't need signings to finish top four, and that sums up his mentality. Your pleased with Wenger to stay on, what does he achieve? We haven't won a league title in 11 years,and haven't even finished in the top two since 2005. It wouldn't be too hard for another manager to do better.
:shock: :lol: I think you'll be in for a shock. Whilst I think Wenger needs replacing, I'm under no illusions that when the time comes, the current board will appoint someone massively below expectation.

Just because people post about how much they'd like Ancelotti, Guardiola etc etc makes no difference. The reality is that we won't be after any of them IMO.

So if we appointed Steve Bould would you still think it would be easy to finish top 2/champions? :)

Mdavey

Post by Mdavey »

Gunner Rob wrote:

well this is a bit different :D
seriously though welcome to the forum, it can probably do with an injection of positivity regarding the club.
if you hang around though I am sure you may alter your views....

I agree with your last sentence, I too am also happy with winning the FA Cup these past 2 years.
the trouble is our lack of competing to challenge for the title - more to the point the lack of trying to compete for the title

I accept that there were not many top class strikers available this summer but havent we needed a striker to replace RVP (who left 3 years ago)? And surely there are 91 other managers in the football league who would have identified that we needed another DM for this season?

there are many many other reasons for disposing of Wenger which I am sure you will have brought to your attention on here if you stick around long enough...
I did wonder after reading the first couple of replies what I'd got myself in to - in hindsight throwing myself into a starving pack of wolves may have been a better option! But anyway, thanks for the welcome.

In regards to transfers Wenger, as we all know, is very stubborn, he seems to constantly want to find a new up and coming player with potential rather than throwing cash at an already proven world class player. How he thought Giroud would be able to replace RVP I don't know, although lets not forget Giroud was the top scoring player in the French league the season before he joined Arsenal, so whether that justifies giving him a go is debatable.
I agree in regards to the DM, we've been lacking in that department for a long time now, I don't know if he's been wanting Wilshere to fill in that slot or not, but regardless Coq and GrampArteta are nowhere near enough.

It's a tough one for me, I have a lot of admiration for everything that he has done for the club, in recent years getting us through the move to the Emirates while keeping the club in the champions league, as well as winning the FA cup 2 years in a row, but at the same time can find the same old excuses very frustrating.

I guess I cling on to hope he can prove everyone wrong and show that a mix of world class to showing potential players, combined with (one of his favourite quotes) a good 'team spirit' is enough to win the title.

I suppose, as we say every year, time will tell.

(sounds like i'm already starting to convert to the 'Wenger Out' side!!! :shock: )

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

kiwomya wrote:
BFG4 wrote:

:shock: :lol: I think you'll be in for a shock. Whilst I think Wenger needs replacing, I'm under no illusions that when the time comes, the current board will appoint someone massively below expectation.

Just because people post about how much they'd like Ancelotti, Guardiola etc etc makes no difference. The reality is that we won't be after any of them IMO.

So if we appointed Steve Bould would you still think it would be easy to finish top 2/champions? :)
The reason Wenger is still here is because he qualifies for the money league and helps to line Silent Stan and co. Pockets. The board mightn't give a fuck about success, but I'd guess they care enough about the money league and how rich it makes them to not risk it on someone like Steve Bould.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Mdavey wrote: I did wonder after reading the first couple of replies what I'd got myself in to - in hindsight throwing myself into a starving pack of wolves may have been a better option! But anyway, thanks for the welcome.
:coffeespit:

Brilliant, mate. :lol:

Welcome to the nuthouse; I think you'll be alright. :barscarf:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

officepest wrote:
Mdavey wrote:The main thing to look at would be who would you replace him with?
I know, right?

Which other elite-level manager could we possibly employ on the measly £8m p/a salary that we currently pay Wenger with? :suicide:
:lol:

and get as close to winning the league as Wenger has in the last 11 years.

Can't be many

:roll: 8)