THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
falkirk goon

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by falkirk goon »

BFG4 wrote:Cloaked Gooner - "I don't see what's wrong with this remark tbh. We judge whether products were worth what we paid for them all the time, so he's basically just stating a fact of life. Basically any time we pay for a ticket to the football, it is a gamble as we don't know if the game will be good or not (or we will win etc). Afterwards you tend to judge whether it was worth it or not, so I think he's just giving a common sense answer".

There are two things wrong with this answer:
1. This was Wenger's weak attempt at defending the board amid ridiculously high ticket prices that come at a time when there is an unsuccessful service being given for the best part of a decade. Also, when the accounts keep showing that we are awash with cash, its impossible to condone how the fans have not been given any saving or reduction on prices.
2. If you are a multi millionaire, it comes across as deeply disrespectful to make a comment like he did, as many fans struggle to afford ticket prices, so are rightly irritated when they see high prices. Any of the other 19 managers in the league would have given an answer along the lines of, I don't know about ticket prices, I just manage the team, but Wenger has to offer an opinion on everything.
Well said BFG 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Martin Keown says:

It was crucial that Arsenal beat Bournemouth on Sunday because they have a massive month ahead of them, and they needed to restore some belief and find some momentum.

The Gunners are going strong in three competitions - the Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League - and have a big opportunity to land at least one trophy.

Nobody is giving them a chance against Barcelona in Europe but that does not mean they cannot beat them. It is a daunting prospect but, if I were still a competitor, I would fancy my chances of winning that tie. Why not?

There are some tough fixtures coming up in the league too - Leicester at home next Sunday and trips to Manchester United and Tottenham - but they are games to look forward to, not fear.

Arsenal's upcoming fixtures:

Leicester (h) Premier League 14 Feb

Hull (h) FA Cup 20 Feb

Barcelona (h) Champions League 23 Feb

Man Utd (a) Premier League 28 Feb

Swansea (h) Premier League 2 March

Tottenham (a) Premier League 5 March

As an Arsenal player I won the title at Old Trafford in 2002 and at White Hart Lane in 2004. If the Gunners are going to win the title again this year, then they have got to pull a big result out of the bag sooner or later. The next few weeks give them that chance to get a season-defining win of their own.

:|

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

or else they can bottle it completely and battle for 4th place as usual......... :roll:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

TeeCee wrote:or else they can bottle it completely and battle for 4th place as usual......... :roll:
I concur with your choice of words and the correct terminology employed there mate! :cheers:

For indeed "Battle" it shall be...especially with that feckin' handbrake on and those poor ickle jaded legs of those overpaid pussies who wear the Red & White... :? :roll: :banghead:

Sean

Post by Sean »

BFG4 wrote:There are two things wrong with this answer:
1. This was Wenger's weak attempt at defending the board amid ridiculously high ticket prices that come at a time when there is an unsuccessful service being given for the best part of a decade. Also, when the accounts keep showing that we are awash with cash, its impossible to condone how the fans have not been given any saving or reduction on prices.
2. If you are a multi millionaire, it comes across as deeply disrespectful to make a comment like he did, as many fans struggle to afford ticket prices, so are rightly irritated when they see high prices. Any of the other 19 managers in the league would have given an answer along the lines of, I don't know about ticket prices, I just manage the team, but Wenger has to offer an opinion on everything.
Well said. Nothing justifies the obscene prices at Cashburton. Any other club's supporters would have had riots by now, overpaying to watch perennially predictable underachievement. Conveniently for the board, enough happy clappers, tourists and Tarquins are in the bowl to dampen any justified anger at the club/team/manager. The crowd is more passive than the team or TOF himself. There is little hope of a mass outcry at TOF/the board at the bowl. The bastards should be hounded out :banghead:
TeeCee wrote:or else they can bottle it completely and battle for 4th place as usual......... :roll:
OneBardGooner wrote:For indeed "Battle" it shall be...especially with that feckin' handbrake on and those poor ickle jaded legs of those overpaid pussies who disgrace the Red & White... :? :roll: :banghead:
VT incoming! :barscarf:

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

This is interesting

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35535729

So soon enough all the big clubs won't even need to qualify top 4 to get CL football! :shock:
Wow so 8th place will become the new 4th place for the AKBs. I could imagine this will be music to the ears of Kroenke and Lord Trou du Cul! They won't even need to spend money on ensuring 4th place, Arsene can basically finish wherever he likes so long as the club isn't relegated! Good times are coming, guaranteed CL qualification virtual trophies for perpetuity!
:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:This is interesting

So soon enough all the big clubs won't even need to qualify top 4 to get CL football! :shock:
Wow so 8th place will become the new 4th place for the AKBs. I could imagine this will be music to the ears of Kroenke and Lord Trou du Cul! They won't even need to spend money on ensuring 4th place, Arsene can basically finish wherever he likes so long as the club isn't relegated! Good times are coming, guaranteed CL qualification virtual trophies for perpetuity!
This is fu*cking ridiculous :banghead:

Football is really starting to eat itself, the sooner it all comes crashing down the better

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:This is interesting

:tumbleweed:

Put your incontinence knickers back on ItchyBaba. :oops: :lol:

There is nowhere in that "article" that says this is happening. It's being "spoken of" - just as a European super league / break away league / invite only league has been spoken of since the mid 1980's. Some form of super league may happen in years to come but it certainly won't be an invite only no-need-to-qualify league for very obvious legal and sponsorship reasons. :roll:

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... ague-title

Jebus....not a single guardian journo gives Arsenal the nod.....presume wenger will revoke Amy Lawrence's cushy privileges after this!!

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

The virus is spreading. This from an article in the Grauniad about manure.
The club views a top-four finish in the Premier League as being more important than success in the Champions League. From next season a high league finish will be even more of a priority, as each club that finishes fourth or better will earn £140m-plus.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

kiwomya

Post by kiwomya »

xgtdec wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... ague-title

Jebus....not a single guardian journo gives Arsenal the nod.....presume wenger will revoke Amy Lawrence's cushy privileges after this!!
This article made me laugh. All these people who picked Chelsea to win the league and Leicester to be relegated are trying to get on the bandwagon. Shows how meaningless these "predictions" are.

There was a similar shitfest when Liverpool had that run in 2013/14 and everyone started saying Liverpool will win it. I recall them beating Spurs 4-0 then going on to beat City with just a couple of games left. How did that work out?!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

kiwomya wrote:

This article made me laugh. All these people who picked Chelsea to win the league and Leicester to be relegated are trying to get on the bandwagon. Shows how meaningless these "predictions" are.

There was a similar shitfest when Liverpool had that run in 2013/14 and everyone started saying Liverpool will win it. I recall them beating Spurs 4-0 then going on to beat City with just a couple of games left. How did that work out?!
Ah yes, the greatest bottle job of all time - until this season's scum version. :lol: 8)

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
kiwomya wrote:

Ah yes, the greatest bottle job of all time - until this season's scum version. :lol: 8)
lets hope so :worried:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

kiwomya wrote:

Something like this wasn't it? :?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
kiwomya wrote:

Something like this wasn't it? :?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
It just gets better every time you watch it! :coffeespit: :lol: :barscarf:

The Mousers have now been involved in 2 of the greatest moments in football history; Mickey Ts late winner Anfield 89 and Slippy G's Divine Retribution-style slip!

:barscarf: :lol: 8)