THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:EVERY red top newspaper this morning is reporting of the major split between wenker and the board - many on here dismissed that story as a nonsense rumour up to now, but I think that it is fair to say that wenkers comments post match have confirmed the story. For me this right now depends on the balls/guts of those board members - if they don't have the balls to stand up and say what they feel when wenker is in the room with them, then we cant have much hopes of a change of manager.

The one thing that I am wondering though, is what position of strength gazidas has - all stories seem to believe that the wiggy c.unt is still supporting wenker, but you would have to question if gazidas would risk a massive fallout with wenker unless he has the backing of stan. You would also have to question if kroenke jnr would stand up and oppose wenker, unless he believed that they have a strong chance that they can stand together and oust wenker

Wenker's position with kroenke snr might not be as strong as some think :rubchin:
Do you honestly believe any of that? Honestly, buddy? I will bet you €100 right now augie that Wenger will be offfered a new deal and will sign it. :(

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Swiss Tony Adams wrote:
Wilson wrote:So according to Wenger its only 1% of Arsenal fans that dont support him.

Thats what, 600 fans at a home game, and 30-80 fans at away games depending on attendance.

I thought Trump trying to convince the world more people attended his inauguration than they did Obama's was a sheer denial of numerical reality, but take a bow Arsene Wenger.
Actually I think that's about right, judging by figures for the marches, and the protests in the grounds.

A few hundred at the first one, then a few thousand at the second one, with people just going along for the laugh, then no-one at the next one.
Ditto at the away games, even the WBA away game didn't have 100 people with banners.

You can counter by saying that this website or that website had a survey, and 80% clicked on "wenger out".
That means nothing. It's almost totally irrelevant.
What matters is ST's sold, profits made, and trophies won.

Then the FA Cup FInal, the time to show Kroenke that he isn't wanted...
Didn't see one "Kroenke Out" sign in the crowd... hopefully there were 2 or 3 brought along, but not taken out.
Kroenke thinks that the FA Cup FInal is like the Super Bowl. The Arsenal won it, and have done 3 out of the last years.

He's not going anywhere, and 99% of the fans will be happy next season, sitting in their soulless bowl, and going home 5 mins. early.
I don't just despair about english football fans, I can see that the Premier League and the powers that be have won.

So buy your over-priced ticket and your half and half scarf, sit down, shut up, and then get out of "their Club."

The old school fans are not wanted, not needed, and not going to be missed.

Can't wait til Thursday...

sadly think you summed it all up about right there fella......

General

Post by General »

They may not necessarily protest or be members of AST but fact of the matter is the majority of fans want Wenger gone. Whether more people should've joined the protests is a different debate all together. We probably have the most apathetic fan base in world football.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:EVERY red top newspaper this morning is reporting of the major split between wenker and the board - many on here dismissed that story as a nonsense rumour up to now, but I think that it is fair to say that wenkers comments post match have confirmed the story. For me this right now depends on the balls/guts of those board members - if they don't have the balls to stand up and say what they feel when wenker is in the room with them, then we cant have much hopes of a change of manager.

The one thing that I am wondering though, is what position of strength gazidas has - all stories seem to believe that the wiggy c.unt is still supporting wenker, but you would have to question if gazidas would risk a massive fallout with wenker unless he has the backing of stan. You would also have to question if kroenke jnr would stand up and oppose wenker, unless he believed that they have a strong chance that they can stand together and oust wenker

Wenker's position with kroenke snr might not be as strong as some think :rubchin:
Do you honestly believe any of that? Honestly, buddy? I will bet you €100 right now augie that Wenger will be offfered a new deal and will sign it. :(

What I believe DB10, is that wenker doesn't have the unanimous support from the board that he thinks that he is entitled to - you choose to believe that he does, despite the fact that comments he made himself Saturday suggest otherwise. Whether he signs a new deal or not is not the point that I am making, and nor is it the point that you have argued against over the last few months.
I have also said over the weekend, that my belief was that IF he goes as manager, it will be because the fans have driven him out more than the board choosing to get rid - how many times have we seen over the years that the man snaps when criticized or challenged over his failings, but yet many argued all along that the protests would have zero impact on his decision :roll: I think that we all seen in his bbc interview, that he is rattled by the protests and is angry more than upset over them, and this is exactly the reaction I was hoping for 8) He might think that he is entitled to god like status for ever and a day on the back of previous successes, but this season might have told him otherwise

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

What I believe DB10, is that wenker doesn't have the unanimous support from the board that he thinks that he is entitled to - you choose to believe that he does, despite the fact that comments he made himself Saturday suggest otherwise. Whether he signs a new deal or not is not the point that I am making, and nor is it the point that you have argued against over the last few months.
I have also said over the weekend, that my belief was that IF he goes as manager, it will be because the fans have driven him out more than the board choosing to get rid - how many times have we seen over the years that the man snaps when criticized or challenged over his failings, but yet many argued all along that the protests would have zero impact on his decision :roll: I think that we all seen in his bbc interview, that he is rattled by the protests and is angry more than upset over them, and this is exactly the reaction I was hoping for 8) He might think that he is entitled to god like status for ever and a day on the back of previous successes, but this season might have told him otherwise
Honestly believe Wenger is going into the board meeting to purge any dissent, by dissent i mean Gazidis daring to suggest a DOF to assist Wenger and take some of the load of his back...Wenger has the deal already, he wants them to plead with him to stay...

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Yes he's rattled as cannot understand any criticism from the fans to his authority, he hates any dissent, but his reaction is likely to be to dig in and resist, the guy is totally stubborn and set in his ways, will only entrench his attitude even further

He has discounted it now by saying its only 1% of fans protesting

Graham71

Post by Graham71 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
EastupperA wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Clash wrote:
General wrote:If there is one thing the wing wearing coont cares about it's brand image and the protests have truly set the cat amongst the pigeons. They don't want to spend the next year or two under these dark clouds and for me it almost makes Wenger's position untenable. Handing him a new contract is just delaying the inevitable.
But Wenger disgracefully accuses the fans protesting against him as damaging Arsenal's impeccable reputation'' :roll:

So losing 10-2 on aggregate doesn't damage the clubs reputation ?

Wenger says its not about him but about the club ... then said he thinks its a disgrace that human is treated in a way that no human being should be treated. So it is about him then? Or is the club a human being? :roll:

Maybe if Wenger is such a humanitarian he should apologise to the referee he said he was ''revolted'' by in the Bayern 2nd leg. But that would mean Wenger showing some human traits he doesnt possess like humility.
Mate your last two posts suggest you as many others on this forum have an agenda, rather than can really accept we played pretty well yesterday deserving to win the game by more than the 2-1 scoreline. I am an Arsenal fan first, forget about the politics of the club, the manager the owner. On a purely footballing level yesterday Arsenal turned up big time and made a lot of us happy.

Now what happens in the future who knows, but for just this short period of time can we just enjoy the fact that not only did we stop chelski from securing the double, but we also ended up having a better season than our illustrious neighbours despite being shit for large parts of it.

And before you say anything I am not an AKB, I just want to enjoy this weekend no harm in that ehhh!!!
This is a Wenger thread not a didn't we play well yesterday thread, although in fairness I think we did. The point is Wenger took the opportunity to slag the fans off and talk about being treated disgracefully and doing things the Arsenal way yesterday, not just saying yes we played well and isn't that great....in any case what is the arsenal away....it never really existed from us buying the league with David Jack in the 1930's...incidentally the last time we broke the transfer record, to George and his bungs or Wenger and his paying diaby etc millions for nothing....Im not sure what the fuck People think is the Arsenal way???
This is a glass half full thread, talk about results when it suits the agenda and slag the manager when it doesn't. Can't have it both ways, nearly every thread on this forum goes off topic btw. Yeah Wenger has been a twat with some of the things he has said about the fans, but you have to give him credit for the way he set the team up yesterday. Having Monreal on the inside of the Ox was a masterstroke and despite us shitting ourselves at the thought of BFG playing, again the back 3 compensated for his lack of pace.

That's the problem with a lot of Wenger out, you've gone so far that you can't even give a considered opinion of a match in isolation anymore. Perhaps that's why there aren't more than 500 that turn up for the protests.........
500 may have turned up for the protest.But for the Sunderland home game there were 25,000 empty seats.Explain that?

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Redarmy wrote:
rodders999 wrote:Was watching The Damned United again last night and a confrontation between the Derby chairman and Cloughie really stood out as being appropriate for the current goings on at Arsene FC.

Clough had just done an interview where he tore the board a new arsehole (comparable to Wenger's "absolute disgrace" tirade from Saturday) and was furious when the chairman wanted him to field a weekend team in the league before a massive midweek European semi final.

The Derby chairman cornerd him in the tunnel and hit him with this little beauty -

the reality of footballing life is this:

The chairman is the boss,
then comes the directors...
then the secretary, then the fans,
then the players...
and then finally, last of all...
bottom of the heap,
the lowest of the low...
comes the one, who in the end,
we can all do without...

the fucking manager

Must say I enjoyed that in my hungover haze :lol:
Think Clough had the last word, moving down the road to rivals Forest and winning the CL twice.....
Fucking killjoy :wink:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Graham71 wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
EastupperA wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Clash wrote:
But Wenger disgracefully accuses the fans protesting against him as damaging Arsenal's impeccable reputation'' :roll:

So losing 10-2 on aggregate doesn't damage the clubs reputation ?

Wenger says its not about him but about the club ... then said he thinks its a disgrace that human is treated in a way that no human being should be treated. So it is about him then? Or is the club a human being? :roll:

Maybe if Wenger is such a humanitarian he should apologise to the referee he said he was ''revolted'' by in the Bayern 2nd leg. But that would mean Wenger showing some human traits he doesnt possess like humility.
Mate your last two posts suggest you as many others on this forum have an agenda, rather than can really accept we played pretty well yesterday deserving to win the game by more than the 2-1 scoreline. I am an Arsenal fan first, forget about the politics of the club, the manager the owner. On a purely footballing level yesterday Arsenal turned up big time and made a lot of us happy.

Now what happens in the future who knows, but for just this short period of time can we just enjoy the fact that not only did we stop chelski from securing the double, but we also ended up having a better season than our illustrious neighbours despite being shit for large parts of it.

And before you say anything I am not an AKB, I just want to enjoy this weekend no harm in that ehhh!!!
This is a Wenger thread not a didn't we play well yesterday thread, although in fairness I think we did. The point is Wenger took the opportunity to slag the fans off and talk about being treated disgracefully and doing things the Arsenal way yesterday, not just saying yes we played well and isn't that great....in any case what is the arsenal away....it never really existed from us buying the league with David Jack in the 1930's...incidentally the last time we broke the transfer record, to George and his bungs or Wenger and his paying diaby etc millions for nothing....Im not sure what the fuck People think is the Arsenal way???
This is a glass half full thread, talk about results when it suits the agenda and slag the manager when it doesn't. Can't have it both ways, nearly every thread on this forum goes off topic btw. Yeah Wenger has been a twat with some of the things he has said about the fans, but you have to give him credit for the way he set the team up yesterday. Having Monreal on the inside of the Ox was a masterstroke and despite us shitting ourselves at the thought of BFG playing, again the back 3 compensated for his lack of pace.

That's the problem with a lot of Wenger out, you've gone so far that you can't even give a considered opinion of a match in isolation anymore. Perhaps that's why there aren't more than 500 that turn up for the protests.........
500 may have turned up for the protest.But for the Sunderland home game there were 25,000 empty seats.Explain that?
End of season against Sunderland
Mid week game
Raining, corporates and tourists not keen to go to a worthless match
Fans protesting by saying away

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

If you read my posts on the Board I've often agreed there may indeed be a split on the topic of Wenger's continued tenure, but I've also said I don't think any of them have the balls or the support from other BM's to actually challenge him. You have to remember at that level most people have one priority; self preservation. They won't rock the boat if there is even the slightest chance it will cost them their place at the trough. Sad but very very true. :|

Also, regarding Wenger being "rattled" by the protests, I honestly think you are over-reading his body language and what he has said. He hasn't reacted angrily at all, he has done his usual smug sneering and belittling of the protests, just as he does with journo's that ask awkward questions. This myth that he hates to be challenged and gets rattled by it is just that I'm afraid; a myth. I'm sure he (like most people) doesn't like to be challenged but he certainly doesn't lose his shit over it. He doesn't raise his voice, he doesn't storm out of pressers... he just smugly makes those PR comments about "people have opinions, that is fine" and "I just get on with the work" and snide shit like "do they have 30 years in football?".

He's a sly, cynical and cunning fucker. Note at the end of the Final he made his way directly over to the one banner with his name on it in the stadium. A big old colour jobbie with "WENGER IN" written on it. He was obviously making sure the photographers and cameramen got a shot of him, the victorious trophy winner, in front of his fans... :|

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Redarmy wrote:
Graham71 wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
EastupperA wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Mid week game

End of season (With all to play for ...top 4 but no one could be bothered)
Mid week - champions league matches are all mid week I believe.
Raining :roll: dear god are our fairweather fans really that fair weather ?
Only 500 turn up for a protest yet many thousands stay away as a protest ?

Swiss Tony Adams

Post by Swiss Tony Adams »

StuartL wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
Mid week game

End of season (With all to play for ...top 4 but no one could be bothered)
Mid week - champions league matches are all mid week I believe.
Raining :roll: dear god are our fairweather fans really that fair weather ?
Only 500 turn up for a protest yet many thousands stay away as a protest ?
I see it like that as well.
There was 'realistically' nothing to play for in the League, and it was against Sunderland, who had already been relegated as one of the worst sides ever from the Premier League.
Mid-week, raining, PLUS the thought that there might be protests and in-fighting, and the atmosphere would be unpleasant.
Also a big point would be saving a bit of money for the Cup Final.

Corporate free ticket for a Champions League game mid-week, everything still to play for, with all the fancy music and the stars and the bunting = OK
Corporate free ticket for a Premier League game mid-week, end of season, with nothing to play for, and possibility of protests = not OK

And of course staying away for one pointless game mid-week against Sunderland before the Cup Final is a lot easier than having to show your face at a protest where you will be filmed and photographed, and the possibility of repercussions, etc.

Also, staying away after already having paid for the ticket is helping a bit, but not really. Especially only sacrificing Sunderland at home.
Sadly the thousands of empty seats can be explained away, especially with the receipts for the tickets sold...59,510 softening the blow.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

If you read my posts on the Board I've often agreed there may indeed be a split on the topic of Wenger's continued tenure, but I've also said I don't think any of them have the balls or the support from other BM's to actually challenge him. You have to remember at that level most people have one priority; self preservation. They won't rock the boat if there is even the slightest chance it will cost them their place at the trough. Sad but very very true. :|

Also, regarding Wenger being "rattled" by the protests, I honestly think you are over-reading his body language and what he has said. He hasn't reacted angrily at all, he has done his usual smug sneering and belittling of the protests, just as he does with journo's that ask awkward questions. This myth that he hates to be challenged and gets rattled by it is just that I'm afraid; a myth. I'm sure he (like most people) doesn't like to be challenged but he certainly doesn't lose his shit over it. He doesn't raise his voice, he doesn't storm out of pressers... he just smugly makes those PR comments about "people have opinions, that is fine" and "I just get on with the work" and snide shit like "do they have 30 years in football?".

He's a sly, cynical and cunning fucker. Note at the end of the Final he made his way directly over to the one banner with his name on it in the stadium. A big old colour jobbie with "WENGER IN" written on it. He was obviously making sure the photographers and cameramen got a shot of him, the victorious trophy winner, in front of his fans... :|

Within the last two or three weeks he walked out of a press conference, and it has happened before. Jacqui Oatley hasn't done ANY Arsenal press conferences since she challenged him and call him out and his bullshit - do you believe that is just a coincidence ? It is a myth that he doesn't get rattled when challenged and is accommodating to all journo's - he will always be agreeable to the journo's that treat him with kid gloves, but I think that day has largely been and gone

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Within the last two or three weeks he walked out of a press conference, and it has happened before. Jacqui Oatley hasn't done ANY Arsenal press conferences since she challenged him and call him out and his bullshit - do you believe that is just a coincidence ? It is a myth that he doesn't get rattled when challenged and is accommodating to all journo's - he will always be agreeable to the journo's that treat him with kid gloves, but I think that day has largely been and gone
I think it was back in February he walked out - or rather was "pulled" out by our press officer Mark Gonnella... he didn't storm out, he had his PO pull him out. You see what I mean? Cunning. The only other similar incident I can recall was a "threat" to walk out in 2015? I could be wrong on that of course.

I just don't agree that protests or awkward questions rattle him. His ego and self belief are too out of whack for that. I believe he looks down his nose at anyone that doesn't buy into his shit 100%, he views them as lesser mortals, hardly worthy of his consideration.

As for Jacqui Oatley, that actually proves my point on his cunning and sly cynicism - he didn't melt down, or raise his voice, or storm off, he simply had a quiet word in the right ear and bang she doesn't do Arsenal anymore... :|

Honestly I think you are letting your heart rule your head if you think the Board won't offer him an extension, or if you think he'll walk out because a few people he looks down on protested against him. He is the ultimate egomaniac. Having said that, I'd fucking love if you were right, but I just can't see it tbh... :|

I've resigned myself to him being here at least 2 more seasons. :suicide:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Actually I think he walked out after the scum game too...? :rubchin: