THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
tinpot lane

Post by tinpot lane »

What a sad, sad sight :roll: :banghead:

TheOne2Smooth

Post by TheOne2Smooth »

yeah lets Sack Wenger and bring in O'Leary he knows how to spend money!! Also lets get rid of our director and get Peter Ridsdale we might as well!!
I'm sorry people its time to come clean we aint got the Money Man USA have or Roman AsonofaBitch has, I will quite happly sign unearth gems like Fabregas, Vieira, Petit and the likes of!!

if you want to end up like Leeds and mark my words Tottenham and Man City are going that way to!!

REB

Post by REB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
great thread,, get a life cig, people are intitled to there opinion and just because you dont agree doesnt mean the person is not a gooner so stop this
go and support chelsea shite, :roll: we all want whats best for our club just some want it done differently

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

TheOne2Smooth wrote:yeah lets Sack Wenger and bring in O'Leary he knows how to spend money!! Also lets get rid of our director and get Peter Ridsdale we might as well!!
I'm sorry people its time to come clean we aint got the Money Man USA have or Roman AsonofaBitch has, I will quite happly sign unearth gems like Fabregas, Vieira, Petit and the likes of!!

if you want to end up like Leeds and mark my words Tottenham and Man City are going that way to!!
Well said that man.

I for one would rather we did win something this year, yet for the long term benefit of the club - not just in the near future but in the long long term, a couple of trophyless seasons should be tolerated if it means that we remain financially stable and in the Champions League while we wait for the money to come in to enable us to compete. Wenger is the only one who is good enough and willing enough to guide the club through this period.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Cus Geezer wrote:
TheOne2Smooth wrote:yeah lets Sack Wenger and bring in O'Leary he knows how to spend money!! Also lets get rid of our director and get Peter Ridsdale we might as well!!

Well said that man.

I for one would rather we did win something this year, yet for the long term benefit of the club - not just in the near future but in the long long term, a couple of trophyless seasons should be tolerated if it means that we remain financially stable and in the Champions League while we wait for the money to come in to enable us to compete. Wenger is the only one who is good enough and willing enough to guide the club through this period.
I agree Cus with the transition period because of the new stadium, and I am a realist, BUT for me, for the first time I can remember, I have doubts

the current squad will finish fourth or above in the league.

We are one or two experienced players short.

I would rather buy a good defensive midfielder now, than miss out on Champs League qualification at end of season...because that would be seriously damaging to our finances.

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

Look nobody disagrees that Wenger is magnificent and will surely go down as our most succesful manager as well as the guy who almost single handedly revolutionised not just Arsenal but English football and footballers..............there is no question about that!

There is however a question to do with shelf life where a new injection is needed when things go stale. Again yes Wenger probably does have one arm tied behind his back but he has also been guilty of some very high profile mistakes which have undoubtedly cost us.

Wenger has not guided us through any period as of yet as we are still a club devoid of any practical wealth and we are also potless in terms of trophies. He has not performed miracles at all but has merely done an adequate job since we have been at Ashburton. All we have acheived is European football and surely that should be the minimum considering we was winning the league unbeaten four seasons ago.

It is daft and naive to not think that the time is coming when the clubs position has to be reassessed with Wenger at the helm if in two years we are still unsuccessful and the likes of Cesc want away due to lack of medals.

We may not like the idea but some day Arsene will have to go and we all hope that it is during a period of continued success but as no player is bigger than the club neither is any manager. This season will tell us if we was genuinely just four points off the title or infact rather fortunate to be in that position at all with the squad over-acheiving.

If we fail and fail by a greater margin this season coming then I think all supporters of Arsenal have a right to ask what direction the club is taking without being told to fuck off down the road to see Chelsea!

:roll:

dvbrisgooner1

Post by dvbrisgooner1 »

gus ceasar is a legend wrote:Look nobody disagrees that Wenger is magnificent and will surely go down as our most succesful manager as well as the guy who almost single handedly revolutionised not just Arsenal but English football and footballers..............there is no question about that!

There is however a question to do with shelf life where a new injection is needed when things go stale. Again yes Wenger probably does have one arm tied behind his back but he has also been guilty of some very high profile mistakes which have undoubtedly cost us.

Wenger has not guided us through any period as of yet as we are still a club devoid of any practical wealth and we are also potless in terms of trophies. He has not performed miracles at all but has merely done an adequate job since we have been at Ashburton. All we have acheived is European football and surely that should be the minimum considering we was winning the league unbeaten four seasons ago.

It is daft and naive to not think that the time is coming when the clubs position has to be reassessed with Wenger at the helm if in two years we are still unsuccessful and the likes of Cesc want away due to lack of medals.

We may not like the idea but some day Arsene will have t go and we all hope that it is during a period of continued success but as no player is bigger than the club neither is any manager. This season will tell us if we was genuinely just four points off the title or infact rather fortunate to be in that position at all with the squad over-acheiving.

If we fail and fail by a greater margin thuis season coming then I think all supporters of Arsenal have a right to ask what direction the club is taking without being told to fuck off down the road to see Chelsea!

I can't see how people can disagree with that. Another season without a trophy (and I mean the League or European Cup as we won't be winning the other two) and Wenger is under some serious pressure. Of course there is the problem over who would replace him, but if the Club is disappearing up it's own arse a year from now, then something must be done somewhere.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

gus ceasar is a legend wrote:
Wenger has not guided us through any period as of yet as we are still a club devoid of any practical wealth and we are also potless in terms of trophies. He has not performed miracles at all but has merely done an adequate job since we have been at Ashburton.

I do think he has worked miracles considering his budget compared to Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool.

I think this season, despite probably having the best kids in the world, we cannot avoid the inevitable need for some experience in midfield and centre back.

I think the was the main lesson learned from last season was the need for more depth, as we saw our players run out of steam by Februaury.

goonerboz

WENGER OUT

Post by goonerboz »

BRAVE MAN - expresing views (are we allowed those or will the club snatch them and copyright them?)

All I would say, is it Wenger is is he towing the party line when really there i no money to spend, no loyalty from the players and to be honest no faith or atmosphere from the fans.

If he goes - we are still left with no money and a new manager with probably a smaller contacts/scouting network and less ability in transforming young unknown kids into stars.

T.S

Post by T.S »

As you may, or may not know, I’m with Gus, in the sense that after one more season without a trophy, questions must start being asked. We all want what is best for the club, and in an ideal world, if you could guarantee me that our prudent (couldn’t think of a better word) nature at the moment would ensure a lengthy period of domination, or at the very least, seasons in which we have something to show from, then I’d be all for it. My problem comes here; what if the long-term plan of the club doesn’t work? What if the club’s financial situation becomes completely secure and yet we still don’t win anything (as Wenger will be long gone by then)? Worse still – what if we don’t qualify for the Champions League this season or in the coming years? That’ll shaft us over big time. Can we really say that our dealings in the transfer market were worth the risk then?

As with most things, it’s going to have to be a case of waiting and seeing. So long as we’re qualifying for the Champions League and at the very least pushing for trophies year in, year out, then it should bode well for the future. However, in recent years (with last year as the exception), we’ve flirted numerous times with mediocrity. As Liverpool, Sp*rs, Villa and Portsmouth (to name a few) strengthen their squads this summer, can we really be so sure that this year will be 07/08 revisited, as opposed to 05/06? It would be arrogant to assume that Champions League qualification is a foregone conclusion, in my opinion.

So basically, what I’m trying to say is that, Wenger is our best bet as firstly, he is obviously a very talented manager, and also, you’d struggle to replace him. However, power, and the establishment should always be held accountable and Arsene Wenger and the board are no exceptions. It also comes down to expectations. If you agree with Cus Geezer, you’ll be grateful that we’re playing nice football and satisfied with a 4th place finish, because you view it in relation to our more barren years. However, you may view it like myoldman and think that a 5th trophy-less season would be unbearable. You may also view it like Quartz and think that a lack of trophies is ok as long as the books are balanced (apologies if I’ve misread any of you lot).

However, you may see it like me and want Wenger out and Dave Bassett in!!!!

Now, some of you lot need to chill the fuck out. We’re all Gooners and we all want what is best for the club. So just cool out!

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

I agree with spuddy's earlier post entirely - if we have another trophyless season either the board or AW should go.

Gooner1315

Post by Gooner1315 »

tonysaunders wrote:As you may, or may not know, I’m with Gus, in the sense that after one more season without a trophy, questions must start being asked. We all want what is best for the club, and in an ideal world, if you could guarantee me that our prudent (couldn’t think of a better word) nature at the moment would ensure a lengthy period of domination, or at the very least, seasons in which we have something to show from, then I’d be all for it. My problem comes here; what if the long-term plan of the club doesn’t work? What if the club’s financial situation becomes completely secure and yet we still don’t win anything (as Wenger will be long gone by then)? Worse still – what if we don’t qualify for the Champions League this season or in the coming years? That’ll shaft us over big time. Can we really say that our dealings in the transfer market were worth the risk then?

As with most things, it’s going to have to be a case of waiting and seeing. So long as we’re qualifying for the Champions League and at the very least pushing for trophies year in, year out, then it should bode well for the future. However, in recent years (with last year as the exception), we’ve flirted numerous times with mediocrity. As Liverpool, Sp*rs, Villa and Portsmouth (to name a few) strengthen their squads this summer, can we really be so sure that this year will be 07/08 revisited, as opposed to 05/06? It would be arrogant to assume that Champions League qualification is a foregone conclusion, in my opinion.

So basically, what I’m trying to say is that, Wenger is our best bet as firstly, he is obviously a very talented manager, and also, you’d struggle to replace him. However, power, and the establishment should always be held accountable and Arsene Wenger and the board are no exceptions. It also comes down to expectations. If you agree with Cus Geezer, you’ll be grateful that we’re playing nice football and satisfied with a 4th place finish, because you view it in relation to our more barren years. However, you may view it like myoldman and think that a 5th trophy-less season would be unbearable. You may also view it like Quartz and think that a lack of trophies is ok as long as the books are balanced (apologies if I’ve misread any of you lot).

However, you may see it like me and want Wenger out and Dave Bassett in!!!!

Now, some of you lot need to chill the fuck out. We’re all Gooners and we all want what is best for the club. So just cool out!
Best post yet!!

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Gooner1315 wrote:Best post yet!!
Yep..good post :wayno2:

Cesc is God

Post by Cesc is God »

REBEL GOONER wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
great thread,, get a life cig, people are intitled to there opinion and just because you dont agree doesnt mean the person is not a gooner so stop this
go and support chelsea shite, :roll: we all want whats best for our club just some want it done differently
Still disagree. Wenger is God and no one can ever replace him. We need to hold onto this great man for as long as we can,

tinpot lane

Post by tinpot lane »

Cesc is God wrote:
REBEL GOONER wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
Still disagree. Wenger is God and no one can ever replace him. We need to hold onto this great man for as long as we can,
well said that man