THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GoonerJim

Post by GoonerJim »

Hang on - you want to sack the best manager we have ever had and also bring in some pillaging *word censored* like Usmanov to milk our club dry of every penny - that makes sense.... :banghead: :awnker:

nuttygoonerpaul

Post by nuttygoonerpaul »

:? MyOldMan what drugs are you on , wenger out , what a load of bullshit.

augie

Post by augie »

Can I just say that it doesnt matter if you have the plushest 100 seater resturant in the whole of england cos if you sid from the cafe in fools and horses (replace sid with any of almunia, eboue or senderos even) serving the food up to you then there is no way in the world you will have a £7.5m profit in a few years :roll: As I have said before your success or failure on the pitch has the biggest impact on the finances off the pitch. Again I also make the point that wenger could have improved the team immensely by getting either jussi (bolton) or given (geordies) at a minimal cost and his failure to do so has nothing to do with finances.

I dont know how many of you remember the club pre george graham but the work he did in toppling the empire that was liverpool at the time was amazing. However after being at the club for a number of years he, his team and his transfer performance went very stale (I know spuddy said all this earlier). I was devasted when he left and felt that we were doomed without him but lo and behold a few years later along came wenger to lift us up another level. Time stands still for no bugger and believe me we will move on without wenger as we did without GG and at the end of the day the success of the club is more important than any one person. The notion that this club would not survive without wenger and indeed the *word censored* that make up our board is laughable - both have contributed to Arsenal's history and successes but neither should be allowed to stand still and inhibit future successes

Cesc is God

Re: WENGER OUT!

Post by Cesc is God »

MyOldMan wrote:I need to say this and go agianst the great majority but it's time for Wenger to go. I'm tired of his stuborn attitude towards transfers and the costant refusal to sort out contracts before the time,for not building on our strongest team. We are always playing catch up replacing players lost and have never truly replaced the defence and midfield of old.

We need change I would love wenger just to get a proper keeper of which we have not had since Seaman. Why does he refuse to buy experience even if it's for a few seasons?

We had the best out of Wenger time for change. Now we need to get a billionare takeover and a new manager. Even if Wenger had the money he would still be getting kids and unknowns. I'm tired of unknowns with potential give me names to get excited about. Not since Bergkamp have a felt that thrill from a signing and excitement that the paying fans deserve.

Thank you Arsene for giving me the best years of Arsenal but it's time for a new beggining. You can only re-build teams a number of times before you start ruining the foundations and I fear that is whats happening to the club we love. :(
Go support Chelsea you whining fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

augie

Post by augie »

Cesc is God wrote:
MyOldMan wrote:I need to say this and go agianst the great majority but it's time for Wenger to go. I'm tired of his stuborn attitude towards transfers and the costant refusal to sort out contracts before the time,for not building on our strongest team. We are always playing catch up replacing players lost and have never truly replaced the defence and midfield of old.

We need change I would love wenger just to get a proper keeper of which we have not had since Seaman. Why does he refuse to buy experience even if it's for a few seasons?

We had the best out of Wenger time for change. Now we need to get a billionare takeover and a new manager. Even if Wenger had the money he would still be getting kids and unknowns. I'm tired of unknowns with potential give me names to get excited about. Not since Bergkamp have a felt that thrill from a signing and excitement that the paying fans deserve.

Thank you Arsene for giving me the best years of Arsenal but it's time for a new beggining. You can only re-build teams a number of times before you start ruining the foundations and I fear that is whats happening to the club we love. :(
Go support Chelsea you whining fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

:roll: :roll: :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

T.S

Post by T.S »

Here we go again...

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Wha? Something happen?? :wink:

Cesc is God

Post by Cesc is God »

The club would suit him?

Rob

Post by Rob »

SPUDMASHER wrote:I'm going to add my little bit on this.

If we have as bad a year as many are predicting then one of two things has got to happen.
1. If the board are putting Wenger in a position whereby he wants to spend but cannot, and is forced into statements like we have been hearing, then they need to go, not Wenger.
2. If it turns out that money was available but his stubborness/determination to win without spending prevented him from spending it then he should go.

I don't think he is a stupid man by any means and what he has done for this club is immense but there comes a point where things start to go stale. GG did loads for us too but he clearly was no longer able to motivate or improve his players. Although his departure was ultimately due to the bung incident, his time was up anyway.
Managers need to evolve or they go stale. The exception seems to be Fergusmoan. He is the exception because year after year his board throw the money at him that he wants.
To use an analagy, think of popstars. Why are the like of Madonna and Kylie successful over a long period? Answer, because they evolve! The stones are the exception in that industry. Most others dry up and disappear (Anyone remember BROS?)
We may be playing to packed houses at the Albert Hall at the moment but too much complacency and we will be playing to 3 men and a dog in the Nags head!!!!!!!!

That is a VERY GOOD POST Spuddy. Agree all ends up.

I want Wenger to stay and succeed. I have different views on the current Board - but that's another story.

But if we bellyflop this season then something has to give.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Judge Wenger at end of transfer window.

For first time in Wenger's tenure, we are going into the season two vital players short.

We can all see that.

Le us see if he can too.

BUT...as Spud has said.....IF WENGER has no MONEY, then we cannot blame him!

I am prepared to wait two more seasons for property money to come in, and not sell up to a foreign investor, but only if we are at least competing for title or cups.

This season we will not do that with current squad, so I am getting concerned.

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

Cesc is God wrote:

Go support Chelsea you whining fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is this the stock answer when you have nothing intelligent to say!

Leave these comments out brfore the I am a bigger Gooner than you starts!

:roll:

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

MyOldMan wrote: I hope we win the Champions league and league and he can say I'm ready to move upstairs and bring in Tony Adams next season.
You're moaning like fuck because we missed out on the title and Wenger is not up to the job, yet you're advocating bringing in someone who's only experience in management is getting sacked by Wycombe, and hey presto we're gonna win the league every year.

In essence you're talking guff.

I would say welcome to the forum but I doubt you'll add much of worth.

Why do we only sign kids? might have something to do with the fact that we don't have the £70million war chest that was stated. We have debts because we built a stadium that was needed to keep up with Man Utd's revenue.

Wenger builds a side that was 4 pts off the title on the cheap and ungrateful *word censored* call for his head.

Because there's been a few years without a trophy (that were not entirely fruitless, a CL final here and a title challenge there and a the best football in the league) certain gloryhunters from a nonentity of a new town are upset because their bar room buddies in Man Ure and Chavski shirts are gloating about what they've won.

Maybe these people should take a good look at why it is they attach themselves to Arsenal - and i tell you what, their absence will leave a much smaller hole in the club than that of Wenger.

Fuse

Post by Fuse »

Am I on a Chelsea forum?? or worse on a spuds?? Is it this bad! Last time I checked, we finished 4 points off the leaders and we were in a final last year and a euro cup final in 06... It does not qualify as crisis or panic situation, does it! I am all for different opinions but let's keep it within a realm of reality...

If we are realistic, we know we can't win every year, every trophy! If anything, the pink-sun-shades brigade are those that are calling for Wenger's head and that believe that the new manager will instantly deliver silverware...

Just calm down folks and enjoy the season. There are surprises still to the season...

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

augie wrote: I dont know how many of you remember the club pre george graham but the work he did in toppling the empire that was liverpool at the time was amazing. However after being at the club for a number of years he, his team and his transfer performance went very stale (I know spuddy said all this earlier). I was devasted when he left and felt that we were doomed without him but lo and behold a few years later along came wenger to lift us up another level.
Er yes..... I remember the Graham years, selling the wealth of international experience that was Anderson, Nicholas and Sansom, bringing in unknown youth team players and players from the lower divisions like Bould and Dixon, refusing to spend big money on players like Cottee and Kerry Dixon and not even spending £1m on a player until 1990 when the record transfer fee at this time was £2.3m.

As for his staleness - you can't even compare that time to Wenger now, we reached 10th in 1993 and 12th in 1995. We haven't even fell below 4th with Wenger. The young players like Wilshire and Walcott look infinitely better than Ian Selley, David Hillier and Mark Flatts ever did.

You wouldn't have even judged Graham a failure under the same criteria that you're judging Wenger as in his last 2 seasons he won 3 trophies.

As for getting rid of Graham - low and behold along comes Wenger - let's just say that we were very lucky on that one. This came via Bruce Rioch - who easily removed after one year because he was not under contract. say Wenger's replacement is just as moribund after one season and we would need to compensate him his contract to sack him. One need look to what happened to Leeds after removing O'Leary after one poor season.

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

I love also how these people who moan about us buying unknown unexperienced kids are also the ones walking around with "Fabregas" on the back of their shirts.

Who as we all know was signed from Barcelona at the age of 25 for £20million after he won his 9th Prima Liga title in a row.