The Board-Finance-Kroenke

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
begeegs

Re: The Board-Finance-Kroenke

Post by begeegs »

[quote="TurnipMasher"

I was like 'WTF? Has Quartz been at Hlebby's stash??'

and then realized :oops: :oops: :D[/quote]

And then you realized that indeed he had...;-)

Gunner Rob

Why the Arsenal Board are the biggest problem

Post by Gunner Rob »

first up I want Wenger to go - I realised that his time was up in May 2012 (a bit later than most on here but anyway..)
there are lots of good, young, ambitious managers who could take his place. I have no problem with that.

my argument though is how is he going to be got rid of?
the most depressing thing that I read all season was last week when Stan Kroenke came out and gave his full backing to Wenger and stated that the club had made progress this season :banghead:

it demonstrated rather worryingly that like the team on the pitch there is no plan B in place for Wenger's successor.
the only hope is that Wenger will walk away at the end of the season but if he doesn't then there is no chance of him getting sacked even if we don't win another match this season. for that reason the board in my view becomes the bigger problem as it is they who are holding the club back (and in hindsight have been for some time)

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Re: Why the Arsenal Board are the biggest problem

Post by officepest »

Saw the title of the thread and thought US Martin had returned. :wink:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Long been the case Rob ever since the old board and the Fiszman family smelt the lucre and took the money and ran they have held us back. Individually they made large sums of money a percentage of which they could have loaned back to the club for player purchases however they decided to pocket it and left Wenger with a £ 20 million selling target to hit every year.
I agree I think the man has run his course , not because of his financial acumen but because of his tactical inability . We have good players but no means of moulding them into a team that fights for itself. I wish he had gone a few years earlier and then all of the people that are only too willing to knife him now would have had a fresh back to aim for.

hugh jardon

Post by hugh jardon »

The only person who will decide when Wenger leaves is Wenger himself.

The board have made it obviously clear that as long as Wenger produces financial results they are very happy. 4th place and the millions of pounds the Champions League qualification is the only success they seek.

When Wenger has had enough he will leave, the board will never get rid of him.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

A11M11 wrote:Long been the case Rob ever since the old board and the Fiszman family smelt the lucre and took the money and ran they have held us back. Individually they made large sums of money a percentage of which they could have loaned back to the club for player purchases however they decided to pocket it and left Wenger with a £ 20 million selling target to hit every year.
I agree I think the man has run his course , not because of his financial acumen but because of his tactical inability . We have good players but no means of moulding them into a team that fights for itself. I wish he had gone a few years earlier and then all of the people that are only too willing to knife him now would have had a fresh back to aim for.
Sensible post and I agree with it :wink:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

I don't even think that Champions League qualification is the be all and end all that some people think it is.
as long as Wenger can continue to generate profits for the club then that is all that matters.

there will just be a continuing lowering of expectations - as long as supporters continue to keep turning up and paying the money then Wenger will continue to rule.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

It would be folly and tunnel-visioned to suggest that getting rid of Wenger would solve all our problems at every level of the club. Ultimately we are still owned by an individual with no interest but protecting his investment and a board who would not stand up to him or indeed for anything. Whilst Kroenke is there we are never going to spend as much as we can afford to.

However, the "biggest problem"? Nope. Wenger could be given a blank chequebook and he would still be scrapping for 4th come April/May. A positive, talented manager could perform far better and see the club competing at the top level domestically even within the confines of the ownership/management structure.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
A11M11 wrote:Long been the case Rob ever since the old board and the Fiszman family smelt the lucre and took the money and ran they have held us back. Individually they made large sums of money a percentage of which they could have loaned back to the club for player purchases however they decided to pocket it and left Wenger with a £ 20 million selling target to hit every year.
Sensible post and I agree with it :wink:
Me Too, I don't I mean I Really DON'T want to hate Wenger or boo him etc etc etc....Under his (Once) managerial guidance the team played brilliant football and gave me and thousands of other Gooners memories we'll remember till our dying day....BUT, he has had his time...All Things Must Come To Pass as George Harrison so rightly sang....even rednose *word censored* knew it was time for him to step down, Wenger seems to be immune to any criticism (even tghough it's obvious he's hurting too), he seems to heed no advice, and in his stubborness and ignorance simply continues to alienate those fans who once held him in such high esteem....

It is genuinely sad, because I DON#T want to end up hating him, but he seems determined to undo all the good (footballing success) he has achieved.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

JMascis666

Post by JMascis666 »

officepest wrote:Saw the title of the thread and thought US Martin had returned. :wink:
:lol:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Wenger makes Kroenke a profit, Kroenke wants Wenger to stay on.

But I think other board members are less loyal to Wenger.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

QuartzGooner wrote:Wenger makes Kroenke a profit, Kroenke wants Wenger to stay on.

Do you think the other board members would actually stand up against Wenger though? Really?

One of the main problems is that Wenger seems to be a de facto board member.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

QuartzGooner wrote:Wenger makes Kroenke a profit, Kroenke wants Wenger to stay on.

When you've got 67% of the voting rights the rest are irrelevant

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

I think that I cannot know the full story.

As discussed earlier in this thread, the board give Wenger an annual budget, then Wenger spends it how he feels.

But wonder if Wenger's previously almost total control has been partially eroded since the sale to Kroenke?

The last-minute signings of summer 2011, were they all Wenger signings?

Was Ozil a Wenger signing in the sense that Wenger desperately wanted him, or was he pushed into making that signing by a board who could see sluggish box sales and the need for a publicity splash?

The longer he goes without a trophy, the less power Wenger has, the more people are able to question him.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

QuartzGooner wrote:I think that I cannot know the full story.

As discussed earlier in this thread, the board give Wenger an annual budget, then Wenger spends it how he feels.

But wonder if Wenger's previously almost total control has been partially eroded since the sale to Kroenke?

The last-minute signings of summer 2011, were they all Wenger signings?

Was Ozil a Wenger signing in the sense that Wenger desperately wanted him, or was he pushed into making that signing by a board who could see sluggish box sales and the need for a publicity splash?

The longer he goes without a trophy, the less power Wenger has, the more people are able to question him.
The decision making process at most companies changes the minute a majority shareholder takes over. I've worked for organisations where there hasn't been a dominant shareholder as was the case with our 'lockdown' and the senior management run the business......when Kroenke took over he gained control of everything and there's no doubt the transfer policy will be his and his only

However, what is certain is that when that budget is set Wenger has free licence and therefore the bad buys are solely down to him. Kroenke and Gazidis wouldn't know a football if it hit them in the face so There's Only One decided to spend the Van Persie money on Giroud and Podolski (who he then plays as a left midfielder).