WALCOTT - which position is best etc?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
QuartzGooner

Re: WALCOTT - which position is best etc?

Post by QuartzGooner »

Northbank123

Well I felt that the criticisms were unfair.

Henry Is a Gooner

I did not assume you were an armchair fan. But I did question if you were one.
Not as a slight against yourself or armchair fans because I appreciate people cannot make games because of financial issues or work reasons or health reasons etc.
But simply because he is the one player we have whose runs I have appreciated at the stadium much more than when seen on TV, and I have found those who rate him tend to be those who regularly go to games.

As for him as a person, have met him may times and he has been a gent, doing a charity favour for me after a game when he could have otherwise easily have told me to get lost.

Petezzz

Post by Petezzz »

Henry is a Gooner wrote:
QuartzGooner wrote:My replies in red.My replies in Green
Henry is a Gooner wrote:

a. being caught offside too many times to mention - He makes runs so it is bound to happen. However he shows a complete lack of awareness
b. not making the obvious run off the shoulder of the defender - Not true at all, do you go to games or just watch on TV? Frequently runs back towards his own goal when the space in front is obvious to see from my marvellopus view at the Grove, I'm a season ticket holder who does actually go, I know plenty who don't!!!
c. not tracking back - Again, simply not true.Half-hearted jogging back doesn't count
e. cutting inside every time - Again, not true at all, often goes to byline and plays ball across goal.Very rare these days
f. trying to dribble past a defender when he obviously hasn't got a clue - Sometimes get caught, too often, but sometimes gets past them and does good dribbling runs. Not good enough in my book
g. pretending to get involved by dancing round the action - A myth. FACT
h. for standing on the touchline, square to the ball for a throw in - Debatable. Have a look next time you're watching him live, do you go to games?? :wink:
i. mis-timing his runs - Not true. Makes great runs but team mates usually look for Sanchez. Frequently on his heels rather than arcing his runs and being on his toes, hence being caught offside
j. nicking a living - Haterism. Nice lad but over £100k a week- Unbelievable Jeff
k. not knocking the ball past the defender into space & running onto it - Err, if you read Augie then that is all he does lol. Doesn't fully exploit his pace
l. being a total passenger - Runs hard. The Opta stats prove that he covers less ground than his team mates
m.not reading a quality Mesut through ball - Interplays well with other team mates.Theo is on a totally different wavelength
n. not making a run to create space - Rubbish. Does this better than any of the rest of the team. Again, do you go to games or watch on TV? Because if you go you will see this happen. Yes Quartz I do go and unfortunately I'm surrounded by Theo lovers who have no idea how to play the game, he ball watches & will frequently stand around like a little boy lost
o. pretending to be a centre forward - Good goals to games ratio as a striker.

p. having the cheek to wear the no.14 shirt - Should it have been retired in honour of the excellent but diva-ish Henry? The one who took £5M up front then left a year later? Might have been a diva towards the end but what a player.
I do go to the games, and I can tell you that Walcott definitely doesn't stick to the wing when he should play there, he constantly cuts inside often leaving our RB alone and exposed on the counter; he used to do it to Sagna all the time and he still does it to this day. You also say he has a good goals to game ratio, but did you also see the stats for his conversion rate? He misses far too many key chances that any good finisher would take all day. I'm not a hater of his and I think he has improved a lot the last couple years, but some of the stuff you were coming out with is rubbish, the fact you had an answer to everything says it all

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Wally again doing the opposition team talk, not sure why he don't just shut up FFS :banghead:

Hopefully will have a long spell in reserves and FA Cup matches from now on

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Redarmy wrote:Wally again doing the opposition team talk, not sure why he don't just shut up FFS :banghead:

Hopefully will have a long spell in reserves and FA Cup matches from now on
http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footbal ... 62841.html?

Post by 1989 »

Sell this *word censored* before the month is out.

MrT

Post by MrT »

Walcott will never be sold. He is the poster boy for modern Arsenal. Doesn't matter how shit he is, to sell him would admit that years of coaching, marketing, and obscene wages were for nothing.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

MrT wrote:Walcott will never be sold. He is the poster boy for modern Arsenal. Doesn't matter how shit he is, to sell him would admit that years of coaching, marketing, and obscene wages were for nothing.
Agreed, he is a bottler, no guts, just a mug who can run fast, now he don't even do that...sell him NOW

over £100K in his sky rocket for that performance, FUCKING DISGRACE

donaldo71

Post by donaldo71 »

The biggest bottler in the team is made captain v Chelsea.Tells you all you need to know about our clown of a managet.Walnutt should have been sold 5 years ago

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The very 2 games where I wouldn't play him as CF - Stoke and Chavski - and shit for brains plays him there both times. Yeah yeah for the pedantic amongst you Giroud played there for 20 mins today.

He can't play as a lone striker against teams like this - if it doesn't work by the time he's 26 years old it never will. Where he can play that role effectively is against teams with a high line and without a physical brute at centre half and he's shown it several times

Still I haven't worked a single day in football so when he gets a hattrick at The Britannia and bullies Chavski into submission next season TO1AW can lord it up over me, Jacquie Oatley and The Stoke Three

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Quickly flog him to West Ham before they go for Sturridge instead for silly money

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Natural Born Gooner wrote:Quickly flog him to West Ham before they go for Sturridge instead for silly money
Sturridge would be perfect for us. A lazy arsed attitude, turns up and flattens weak oppo, earns 10x too much money at a tender age and disappears for six months at a time injured. Weak as gnats piss too......ticks just about every box for us. If he stuck around long enough we might even make him captain for a day too.....ain't that lovely

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

TEN YEARS OF POTENTIAL

Kvltman

Post by Kvltman »

I was brought up as an Arsenal fans watching Tony captain us with leadership and passion, and then to a lesser degree Vieira the same.

These days the arm band is handed around like an afterthought, or in the case of today, like a pat on the back for 10 years of not very much! Give him a testimonial game at the end of the season and let him be captain for that, not today in a vital game against a team we shit ourselves against anyway! Unbelievable decision.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Watching this man boy waltzing around with the armband on as he put in probably his eighth absolute stinker on the bounce was sickening.

When he wasn't getting caught offside or dribbling straight into the opposition, he was standing behind defenders and just being generally useless.

gazzatt2

Post by gazzatt2 »

didn't see walcott making any useful runs from my seat in the North Bank
did a good impression of a statue most of the time
tacking back was woeful as well
should be sold if we could get anything for him