Olivier Giroud - Another Alan Smith or "Le Chapman"?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
A dallying Gus Caesar

Olivier Giroud - Another Alan Smith or "Le Chapman"?

Post by A dallying Gus Caesar »

Just a quick point about our new signing. Please do not get carried away with the attempts of our silly media to bury Giroud before he has even started.

Back when we signed Alan Smith I can re-call the media clamour about how he was a waste of money because the club scored only one goal in the first three matches of 1986/87 season and the goal was not from him.
Once he scored his first league goal and a hat trick in the same game thereafter against Portsmouth he never really looked back despite a fairly average first season if truth be told.

Smithy did pretty well for us did he not? No reason Giroud, of whom there are similarities with Smith, cannot do the same.

Keep the faith.

Gunnersaurus

Re: Olivier Giroud and Alan Smith

Post by Gunnersaurus »

5,4,3,2,1..... :rubchin:

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

We didn't score in our first two games last season. The media just wants a story.

BournemouthRED

Post by BournemouthRED »

I like the look of giroud, so does my bird! :lol:

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

rigsby wrote:We didn't score in our first two games last season. The media just wants a story.
Yep. And didn't we prove our critics wrong eventually eh!
Now as soon as you could please list what Arsenal won last season then I'll be on my way...
:rubchin:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

did the scum finish miles ahead of us last season like some predicted and were wrong.Harry the greatest manager ever according to some, now unemployed(1 trophy in 30 yrs of management :roll: )Arsenal to finsh last in our cl group last season,dortmund to win the group remember someone posting that again wrong.A whole thread dedicated to kalou joining arsenal and never happened doh wrong again.I would have thought if someone made those remarks he probably should go on his way cos he clearly doesnt know what hes talking about :roll:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

g60gooner

Post by g60gooner »

Am i sensing some animosity between certain posters? :lol:

Simon

Post by Simon »

BournemouthRED wrote:I like the look of giroud, so does my bird! :lol:
Every time I seem him on the pitch I think of Woody Woodpecker

Post by 1989 »

I don't worry about Giroud at all. He'll come good I have no doubt.

You can see that he's got it, just needs to get it all together which will come with more games.

For him to show such audacity and confidence by taking that shot in the last minute is a wonderful sign, and it nearly went in as well.

Margins eh? Had it gone in all the media would be saying is "Van who?", but because he narrowly missed he's the new Chamakh.

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

mcdowell42 wrote:did the scum finish miles ahead of us last season like some predicted and were wrong.Harry the greatest manager ever according to some, now unemployed(1 trophy in 30 yrs of management :roll: )Arsenal to finsh last in our cl group last season,dortmund to win the group remember someone posting that again wrong.A whole thread dedicated to kalou joining arsenal and never happened doh wrong again.I would have thought if someone made those remarks he probably should go on his way cos he clearly doesnt know what hes talking about :roll:
ZzZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Just ask the guy out on a date! Promise. You'll feel miles better...
:lol:

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

Yep. And didn't we prove our critics wrong eventually eh!
Proved you wrong.

Also I fail to see how what you're asking is relevant at all to what I said. I didn't say Arsenal achieved anything, just the same thing happened last year with RVP in our side, and its happened again. Its a nice angle for the media to focus on given we've sold him but it simply doesn't mean anything. A bit like some of your posts.

mike_stefan

Post by mike_stefan »

A dallying Gus Caesar wrote:Just a quick point about our new signing. Please do not get carried away with the attempts of our silly media to bury Giroud before he has even started.

Back when we signed Alan Smith I can re-call the media clamour about how he was a waste of money because the club scored only one goal in the first three matches of 1986/87 season and the goal was not from him.
Once he scored his first league goal and a hat trick in the same game thereafter against Portsmouth he never really looked back despite a fairly average first season if truth be told.

Smithy did pretty well for us did he not? No reason Giroud, of whom there are similarities with Smith, cannot do the same.

Keep the faith.
Totally agree. A lot of forum members (myself included) ate humble pie last year when we finished where we did. And it's sheer madness to write off Giroud after 2 games.

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

I actually thought that taking on that shot showed confidence in his ability.
I also thought that Ramsey was five yards too far back to have made much of a pass to him, other than to try and hit it first time, had the ball even reached him, as there was a defender tracking back.
His miss against Sunderland sucked, but nobody's perfect.
I reckon that the bloke will be a success.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

I have a good feeling about Giroud.I think he'll come good for us