Sagna next to go???

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Sagna next to go???

Post by augie »

I hope, and I absolutely mean this, that Financial Fair Play NEVER gets brought into football :evil: :evil:

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

augie wrote:I hope, and I absolutely mean this, that Financial Fair Play NEVER gets brought into football :evil: :evil:
Why do you say that augie?

I think it's clear there are going to be so many loopholes within it that will render it worthless but in an ideal world (which football clearly isn't) we could only benefit as a club.

I'd love it to happen if it worked as it was supposed to (but it won't), so i'd be intrigued to know why your against it?

augie

Post by augie »

Chopper wrote:
augie wrote:I hope, and I absolutely mean this, that Financial Fair Play NEVER gets brought into football :evil: :evil:

I think it's clear there are going to be so many loopholes within it that will render it worthless but in an ideal world (which football clearly isn't) we could only benefit as a club.

I'd love it to happen if it worked as it was supposed to (but it won't), so i'd be intrigued to know why your against it?

For a few different reasons -

(1) It has become the foundation that we seem to have built all our hopes upon and that is totally unacceptable to me. Our club profits are increasing every bloody year but all our board and owner want to do is accumulate the money :evil: The bottom line is that they want to win on the cheap.......rather than invest the money we have they want to use FFP to cripple our opponents :oops: :oops:

(2) I dont like the level of hypocrisy associated with it - for decades clubs like AFC and the victims (to name but 2) cherry picked the best players from the smaller clubs in the domestic game and seen no harm in it and now you have these clubs pushing the introduction of rules to limit spending of the richer clubs ?? The ultimate hypocrisy is manure's support of new legislation being brought in for the domestic game - these b*****ds plundered every small club in the uk for years when they were the mega wealthy english club and boy did they enjoy flexing their financial muscle but now that the wealth of citeeh and the chavs leaves them in the shade, they complain about the injustice of it all :roll: Looking beyond the domestic game, bayern shit all over the smaller clubs in germany and were quite comfortable doing so but now there are richer clubs in europe and that pushes them further down the pecking order and they wont accept that hence the push for FFP

(3) The push for FFP within our club also galls me from a supporters point of view. If this gets brought in, it should lead to less expenditure for clubs so will this lead to a reduction in the cost of ticket prices ? If our club was so focused on fairness then why have they not looked at the economy and the effect that it is having on the average man and woman on the street and perhaps reduce their ticket prices to help those that have supported the club for years ? How fair is it to expect fans to keep your income at the same level despite having a smaller transfer budget ? How many fans believe that our clubs sense of fair play would stretch to reducing the cost of season tickets if we dont get into the champs league ?

(4) And this is the big one..........it is my opinion that FFP will only encourage people like kroenke and the glazers and hicks/gilettes of this world to buy our football clubs. The former victims owners were run out of town on the back of failing to properly invest in their playing squad and our own owner is being heavily criticised (and rightfully so) for the same reason so if you give these owners a defined framework in which they can only spend a set amount, then that gives them a legal reason why they cannot spend money thus allowing them to accumulate more profit for themselves and the fans can say and do nothing. If people knew when buying a club that they would be exempt from any pressure to spend millions every season, then you can be sure that more would be willing to buy clubs and would view them as a source of individual profit

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

Great post Augie agree with the lot.
I think it's a joke how Arsenal and some of our fans seem to be relying on the fallacy that is FFP. We've been happy to plunder from other teams when it's suited us die years but now we're bitching? Pffft.
:roll:
Reminds me of when Arsenal wanted to keep the two group stages of the CL so we'd be guaranteed to not get shat on (as usual) in a last 16 knockout tie...:oops:

FatChaz

Post by FatChaz »

silus wrote:
Babatunde wrote:
silus wrote:Tricky one this...normally would agree should be signed on new contact but after the 2 leg breaks think it is wiser to wait and see how he comes back from the injuries.

I'm not saying he is readty to replace Sagna but does anyone else think Jenks its starting to improve?I know he couldnt get much worse then last season and had a few suspect moments against scousers...but I think there are some encouraging signs.
And so as predicted, the excuses begin.

How does this one go again? Oh yeah

'Clichy is better than Cole'
'Clichy is crap, Gibbs i the future'
'Fabregas is injury-prone and his hamstrings are gone, Nasri can easily do what he does'
'Nasri is overrated and a half-season wonder, let him go'
'Adebayor scored 30 goals how can he not be rated as quality'
'Adebayor was never that good anyway, RVP is the future'
'RVP is the future and a captain in waiting'

FFS why are ppl talking about Jenkinson. Sorry, but he's shit. Nice kid blah blah he is effin garbage and Igenuinely mean this, he would not get a start at DonCaster :shock:

This is Arsenal FC FFS since when did fans start accepting players like Jenkinson 'improving a bit'?? :shock:
What excuses did i make? :?
Oh come off it Silus, your whole post is a massive list of excuses for when Sagna isnt there. Sagna is the man and needs to remain in the squad as opposed to be lost to another rival team to prosper.

silus

Post by silus »

FatChaz wrote:
silus wrote:
Babatunde wrote:
silus wrote:Tricky one this...normally would agree should be signed on new contact but after the 2 leg breaks think it is wiser to wait and see how he comes back from the injuries.

I'm not saying he is readty to replace Sagna but does anyone else think Jenks its starting to improve?I know he couldnt get much worse then last season and had a few suspect moments against scousers...but I think there are some encouraging signs.
And so as predicted, the excuses begin.

How does this one go again? Oh yeah

'Clichy is better than Cole'
'Clichy is crap, Gibbs i the future'
'Fabregas is injury-prone and his hamstrings are gone, Nasri can easily do what he does'
'Nasri is overrated and a half-season wonder, let him go'
'Adebayor scored 30 goals how can he not be rated as quality'
'Adebayor was never that good anyway, RVP is the future'
'RVP is the future and a captain in waiting'

FFS why are ppl talking about Jenkinson. Sorry, but he's shit. Nice kid blah blah he is effin garbage and Igenuinely mean this, he would not get a start at DonCaster :shock:

This is Arsenal FC FFS since when did fans start accepting players like Jenkinson 'improving a bit'?? :shock:
What excuses did i make? :?
Oh come off it Silus, your whole post is a massive list of excuses for when Sagna isnt there. Sagna is the man and needs to remain in the squad as opposed to be lost to another rival team to prosper.
Still not sure what excuses are in my post or for whom i'm supposed to be making excuses for...but to clarify my points...

I think a fit Sagna is probably the best RB in Prem..my point was I think it might be wise to wait on negotiating a new contract as he is nearly 30 and has had 2 massive injuries recently. If he comes back this season the player he was a new contract can easily be offered before the end of season.(dont think there is an excuse there, just my opinion)

I mentioned Jenks as this is a thread about our RB. Jenks is our back up RB so thought it was relevant.
I said I think he has improved a lot since last season. The kid may or may not be good enough to be back up but he is was what we have. Personally, as an Arsenal fan, I am glad he is improving as like it or not he will be playing each week untill Sagna is back.(Again this is an opinion, not an excuse)

I hope this clears it up for you :?

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

bottom line is, Wenger said we have to make a profit from the transfer window each year. Who can the club sell to make a lot of money? Walcott will go cheaply or for free now unless he signs another contract last minute, we don't have that many players left that are worth top dollar now......at least one of them is likely to go to raise money for Kranky's retirement fund!

villej

Post by villej »

Sagna's contract should be renewed as soon as possible or otherwise the next summer is going to be the same old story. His injury record is quite bad but I would still take a chance because he is so important player for the team.

Emmanuel_eboue27

Post by Emmanuel_eboue27 »

Think it's maybe a sign of how badly things have come at the top if a player like Sagna is coming out in the press with statements like this...doesn't seem the sort. Then again we thought that about Van Judas...

hugh jardon

Post by hugh jardon »

You lot are mental, if you actually read what he is quoted as saying there is absolutely no hint or slight indication why he might leave the club.

In future ignore the sensationalised headlines and actually read what is said. Then consider your own opinion rather than brainlessly jumping on the media bandwagon as they planned.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Sagna when fit really makes a difference to our defence. I will have to wait another 15 games to really make up my mind on Jenks but at the moment he feels like the weakest link.
I honestly dont know what is going on in Arsenals policy when they might want to sell Sagna and put a 2 Million signing in his place to do a vital job at Arsenal FC.
Not just the transfer value because in the past that has worked but Jenkinson does not look good enough for this level.

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

augie wrote:
Chopper wrote:

For a few different reasons -

(1) It has become the foundation that we seem to have built all our hopes upon and that is totally unacceptable to me. Our club profits are increasing every bloody year but all our board and owner want to do is accumulate the money :evil: The bottom line is that they want to win on the cheap.......rather than invest the money we have they want to use FFP to cripple our opponents :oops: :oops:

(2) I dont like the level of hypocrisy associated with it - for decades clubs like AFC and the victims (to name but 2) cherry picked the best players from the smaller clubs in the domestic game and seen no harm in it and now you have these clubs pushing the introduction of rules to limit spending of the richer clubs ?? The ultimate hypocrisy is manure's support of new legislation being brought in for the domestic game - these b*****ds plundered every small club in the uk for years when they were the mega wealthy english club and boy did they enjoy flexing their financial muscle but now that the wealth of citeeh and the chavs leaves them in the shade, they complain about the injustice of it all :roll: Looking beyond the domestic game, bayern shit all over the smaller clubs in germany and were quite comfortable doing so but now there are richer clubs in europe and that pushes them further down the pecking order and they wont accept that hence the push for FFP

(3) The push for FFP within our club also galls me from a supporters point of view. If this gets brought in, it should lead to less expenditure for clubs so will this lead to a reduction in the cost of ticket prices ? If our club was so focused on fairness then why have they not looked at the economy and the effect that it is having on the average man and woman on the street and perhaps reduce their ticket prices to help those that have supported the club for years ? How fair is it to expect fans to keep your income at the same level despite having a smaller transfer budget ? How many fans believe that our clubs sense of fair play would stretch to reducing the cost of season tickets if we dont get into the champs league ?

(4) And this is the big one..........it is my opinion that FFP will only encourage people like kroenke and the glazers and hicks/gilettes of this world to buy our football clubs. The former victims owners were run out of town on the back of failing to properly invest in their playing squad and our own owner is being heavily criticised (and rightfully so) for the same reason so if you give these owners a defined framework in which they can only spend a set amount, then that gives them a legal reason why they cannot spend money thus allowing them to accumulate more profit for themselves and the fans can say and do nothing. If people knew when buying a club that they would be exempt from any pressure to spend millions every season, then you can be sure that more would be willing to buy clubs and would view them as a source of individual profit
Point two is the key for me, throughout the history of football clubs have been funded by means other than their football revenue and AFC is no different. The reason we are a big club is because we outspent other teams in the 1930’s and we definitely weren’t the club with the biggest support back in those days so weren’t generating more cash than others.
The only difference now is the numbers have got so out of proportion with everyday life that supporters don’t like it and now it is non Brits putting the cash in so it can be put forward as a life ling fan fulfilling a dream.
The clubs that are already at the top will encourage FFP as they want to maintain their positions. The Chelsea and Man City model is the only way teams can break the monopoly of the top few and if FFP does actually work then it will make the world of football LESS competitive as the clubs in the Champions League will have such an advantage I just can’t see how any team outside that clique will be able to break in.
I completely agree that FFP should be beneficial to us and I’m happy about that, but people putting forward a moral argument in its favour are, in my opinion, way off course.
If you want to make it more competitive then a wage and transfer fee cap is the way to go, but you then create the problem of what happens to all the excess money. And the answer to that is it goes into the directors pocket, which no one wants either!

augie

Post by augie »

Isn't it ironic that uefa, platini and the likes of bayern munich are pushing this when uefa is bowing down to the bigger clubs every season by handing out massive money for champs lge football thus ensuring that the likes of villa and everton will continue to fall further behind due to finances :roll: Where is bayerns sense of a level playing field there ? All these clubs are greedy bastards who have no interest in making competitions more competitive by sharing the wealth more evenly and this is shown up by their threat to form a breakaway European superleague if they don't get what they demand from uefa :roll: Hypocritical, self serving b*****ds masquerading as the saviours of football :evil: :evil: :evil:

Wengerball

Post by Wengerball »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... enal-sales

Why do i get the feeling I've seen this somewhere before :( :roll:

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... senal.html

So Bacary you can stay and win fuck all here for the rest of your career or go to Utd City or Chelsea