New York Bars

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
southampton gooner

New York Bars

Post by southampton gooner »

Bit random I know but...
Going to New York next week and going to be there when we play Manure and was hoping to watch it in a Gooner friendly bar.
I'm sue I have seen this on the forum b4 but can't find it.
Anyone know :?:

Cheers

Dan_85

Re: New York Bars

Post by Dan_85 »

Blind Pig Bar on East 14th street. Home of the NYC Gooners & probably my favourite place to watch Arsenal outside of N5.

paperclip

Post by paperclip »

You'll probably come across Nevada Smiths when looking for suggestions. It's a good spot for watching a game but I can assure you there'll be far more Mancs in there than Gooners so I'd avoid it.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

arsenalamerica.com

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

i went to ny when i was at uni for a fiild trip. went in a few bars. ended up in a couple of alleys afterwards. unfortunately i cannot recall what they were called as it was nearly a decade ago, however at least one was in midtown possibly as we stayed i hotel thirtythirty and it was shit.
word to the wise, i also made the mistake of exploring central park on my own when i should have been doing coursework, went down a path on some promontory near 'the lake' that i hoped would lead to a good view over the water. saw a middle aged man on his own standing off the trail in the undergrowth just standing there looking at me, okay i thought a nature lover getting close to it. carried on, saw another and another. then got suspicious and a tad worried. as i continued along the trail, i passed more, increasingly worried having relised i could find myself in a 'sticky situation' and had no clue where this trail ended up and if it just ended in a dead end at the water i back tracked pronto, thankfully without further incident.

sorry i couldnt be of more help.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

the playing mantis wrote:i went to ny when i was at uni for a fiild trip. went in a few bars. ended up in a couple of alleys afterwards. unfortunately i cannot recall what they were called as it was nearly a decade ago, however at least one was in midtown possibly as we stayed i hotel thirtythirty and it was shit.
word to the wise, i also made the mistake of exploring central park on my own when i should have been doing coursework, went down a path on some promontory near 'the lake' that i hoped would lead to a good view over the water. saw a middle aged man on his own standing off the trail in the undergrowth just standing there looking at me, okay i thought a nature lover getting close to it. carried on, saw another and another. then got suspicious and a tad worried. as i continued along the trail, i passed more, increasingly worried having relised i could find myself in a 'sticky situation' and had no clue where this trail ended up and if it just ended in a dead end at the water i back tracked pronto, thankfully without further incident.

sorry i couldnt be of more help.
Have you ever thought of writing for a living.... You got me hooked in just a couple of paragraphs :D !

I've been to NY twice. Once about 30 years ago when it was a real rough place. Went to some very rough pubs and had a ball.

Last time though was in 2010 and a lot tamer these days. I too went to the Blind Pig to join the NY Gooners (lunchtime kick off, so 7.45am in NY, away to Blackburn). Thought it would just be a load of ex-pats but very pleasantly surprised to find it was almost entirely Arsenal mad locals. Flag outside, people wearing shirts, singing Arsenal songs. Great place to watch a match, and well worth travelling across NY for a game no matter where you are staying.

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

Blind Pig is definitely your place, get there early though as it gets busy especially for a big game like Utd. In fact NYC Gooners now have a second pub, O' Hanlons, a few blocks further down 14th St.

Nevadas is kinda the "football tourist" place to watch games & as has been mentioned, is over run with Mancs & Chelski. Watched an Ingerlund game in there once, it was pretty cack.

hugh jardon

Post by hugh jardon »

Watching a game with "NY gooners" - I can think of nothing worse.

Chips and Chocolate

Post by Chips and Chocolate »

hugh jardon wrote:Watching a game with "NY gooners" - I can think of nothing worse.
Was about to post the same thing,

Go Gunners Go!!!!

hugh jardon

Post by hugh jardon »

Chips and Chocolate wrote:
hugh jardon wrote:Watching a game with "NY gooners" - I can think of nothing worse.
Was about to post the same thing,

Go Gunners Go!!!!
Only perhaps the "Chinese gooners"

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

:lol: Go Team!!! Woooooooh

Gunner152

Post by Gunner152 »

Graham, watch it at home mate or your local boozer ;-)

hope the family are well my friend!

Herd

Post by Herd »

Fuck me I lived off 14th st 82/84 ( sty town ),it was the DMZ when I lived there and union square was full of junkies, oh how the city has changed !

Reg Niseth

Post by Reg Niseth »

Herd wrote:Fuck me I lived off 14th st 82/84 ( sty town ),it was the DMZ when I lived there and union square was full of junkies, oh how the city has changed !

changed when you left mate. :mrgreen: Are you back over for xmas?

TheCook

Post by TheCook »

Erm, so I hope Southampton Gooner is OK?

Shame on no one else enquiring after his wellbeing!

I hear most of the Blind Pig is currently underwater, so he might have to find an alternative venue.