SUMMER TRANSFERS - Your thoughts on who did and did not sign

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: SUMMER TRANSFERS - Deals, Rumours and Buy/Sell Wish List

Post by OneBardGooner »

StuartL wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:I ran out of beer , so went to the corner offi and the bloke behind the counter knows a fella who knows a fella who works for BA (british airways) in their booking office at R.Madrid airport and Ozil and his agent are booked on a flight tomorrow am to London! :shock: :shock: 8) :barscarf: :barscarf:

At least I think he said Ozil..It may have been Orvil

or

:rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:

I think the Arsenal Red & White might clash with his green feathers etc...so it had better be Ozil!

It must be Ozil, cos Orvil can fly :oops:

Aaaaah yes, but DB can walk on water! :wink:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Does anybody else think Sagna is hard done-by to be thought of as 4th choice CB? Granted he hasn't had the same scrutiny there as the others but whenever he's played there he's had a good game and moreover looks comfortable there. No shitting his pants at physical opponents like Koscielny, no turning circle of a bus, pace of a snail and lead boots like Mertesacker and no calamitous brainfarts like Vermaelen.

He's just looked like a natural centre-half to me when he's played there. I really wouldn't be opposed to seeing him have a run there, particularly given his form at right back in the last few months.

Red Gunner

Post by Red Gunner »

My dad's friend's daughter's best friend's Spanish cousin, who works at the Madrid Barajas Airport, said that Ozil and Casillas just bought one-way tickets to London. Also they both had French dictionaries with them. It's on.

#ITK

:wink:

spendsum4uckingmoney

Post by spendsum4uckingmoney »

northbank123 wrote:Does anybody else think Sagna is hard done-by to be thought of as 4th choice CB? Granted he hasn't had the same scrutiny there as the others but whenever he's played there he's had a good game and moreover looks comfortable there. No shitting his pants at physical opponents like Koscielny, no turning circle of a bus, pace of a snail and lead boots like Mertesacker and no calamitous brainfarts like Vermaelen.

He's just looked like a natural centre-half to me when he's played there. I really wouldn't be opposed to seeing him have a run there, particularly given his form at right back in the last few months.
Sagna as a FB has always impressed me as a FB for his defensive work. Offensively he is meh so maybe CB is his calling?

spendsum4uckingmoney

Post by spendsum4uckingmoney »

1989 wrote:Would you lot be satisfied with Ba? To be fair with Ozil also coming in it would be acceptable.
An injury prone, slightly above average striker who will go absent for 2 months every 2 years for ACON duty? Yeah he will fiit in with the rest.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I'd rather we sign Defoe (whose a Gooner btw) than Ba....

augie

Post by augie »

QuartzGooner wrote:Love for us to get Ozil.
Play him wide left, then when Podolski is fit he can be competition for that position and for Cazorla's.

A right back and striker needed too though, and would welcome a centre back for squad numbers.

This is wrong on sooo many levels -

1. Playing ozil wide left is the same as playing cazorla or rosicky wide left - both are central attacking midfielders and would be wasted playing on the periphery of the action

2. We have a shit load of other needs that should be prioritised above an ozil type of player - we still (5 years down the line :roll: ) need a big physical ball winning DM, a top level striker and Julio cesar/casillas ( :wink: ) above signing someone like ozil

3. Suggesting that ozil will provide competiton makes no sense - why spend 50m on a squad rotated player ?

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

northbank123 wrote:Does anybody else think Sagna is hard done-by to be thought of as 4th choice CB? Granted he hasn't had the same scrutiny there as the others but whenever he's played there he's had a good game and moreover looks comfortable there. No shitting his pants at physical opponents like Koscielny, no turning circle of a bus, pace of a snail and lead boots like Mertesacker and no calamitous brainfarts like Vermaelen.

the trouble with Sagna at centre back (and indeed Kos, TV and BFG) is that in an ariel duel with Crouch / Carroll / Drogba / etc, etc he just isn't cut out for it. We still need a warrior at the back - not always to be first choice but to deal with an ariel bombardment.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

According to G88ner we are signing Basil Brush!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34817&start=5550

So that's Orvil and B. Brush!...feck our side will have more animals in it than Wimbledon when Vinnie Jones was there!

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

So the window is officially open for 2 months to add to the deals that are agreed in June but rather predictably we insist on focusing our whole inbound activity into one or two days.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Yup! it's known as the Tardis Manoeuvre.... :?

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

StuartL wrote:

the trouble with Sagna at centre back (and indeed Kos, TV and BFG) is that in an ariel duel with Crouch / Carroll / Drogba / etc, etc he just isn't cut out for it. We still need a warrior at the back - not always to be first choice but to deal with an ariel bombardment.
Sagna is quite decent in the air defensively. Doesn't duck out or get pushed around like the other two, wins a good amount of headers for his height and in any event normally does enough to put pressure on the opponent.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

OneBardGooner wrote:I'd rather we sign Defoe (whose a Gooner btw) than Ba....
Agree with this 100%. Still the best natural English goalscorer and woefully underused by the Scum. Only time I was nervous we'd concede when he came on and he was closer to scoring than donkey Soldado and all their other overrated new wasters

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

QuartzGooner wrote:Love for us to get Ozil.
Play him wide left, then when Podolski is fit he can be competition for that position and for Cazorla's.

A right back and striker needed too though, and would welcome a centre back for squad numbers.
What we pay £42m so he can be competition for Podolski and Cazorla :shock: For £42m he has to be the first name on the team sheet

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I thought Sagma was amazing as a RB in his first season, but since he had those 2 broken leg injuries - he seems to have lost the will/confidence to go past defenders...he gets to the final third of the oppo's half then stops - slows the break - and then cuts the ball back and we end up losing the momentum...so CB seems a better position for him...he does really well there...even though he is much shorter than most CB's.