My first away game

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Chippy

My first away game

Post by Chippy »

The scousers game and one or 2 other things triggered memories of my first away game. Just googled it, and it was 40 years ago on 10th Feb. :oops: :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToZhd3fudY

Look at the state of that pitch. :D And that was fairly good for those days! Also the side burns. :lol: What I wouldn't give for the likes of Radford and Kennedy up front these days.

I went to Anfield 3/4 times in the 70s/early 80s and don't think I saw us lose once! Not bad as they were building into that machine that dominated for so many years.

BTW if anyone posts that their first away game was Anfield 89 I'll want a pic of you with Michael Thomas. :twisted: :wink:

REB

Re: My first away game

Post by REB »

my first away game was highfield road with my dad back in 1980 , lost 3-1 I think with stapleton getting ours :twisted:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Can't actually remember mine tbh. Started going 97/98 but I don't remember being taken to any away games that season, Villa I've done pretty much every year but I remember we lost there to a Yorke penalty last game of the league season and I didn't go.

Remember going to Selhurst Park to see us lose 1-0 which I think was the next season so probably that one (unless you count Wembley :lol: ), also saw us lose 3-2 at Highfield Road about then. Went to both FA Cup Semis at Villa Park in 99 too :cry:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Mine was a 2-1 win at sp*rs in October 1987. It was the David Pleat pervert game and after going 1-0 down after 60 seconds Thomas and Rocastle scored :barscarf:

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

@ Ipswich Town, Aug '77.
Pat Jennings debut. Lost 1-0, backpass og? (Rix)?
I celebrated a disallowed equaliser, and was convinced when I left the ground that it ended 1-1. First time I necked a beer too, probably explains it.

Jennings, Rice, Powling, Young, O'Leary, Nelson, Rix, Brady, Ross, Stapleton, Macdonald.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Mine was Jan 4th 1969....away to Cardiff in the 3rd round of the FA cup - we drew 0 - 0 and won the replay 2 - 0 the following Tuesday (7th?) which I also went to (my 2nd game)... we'd not long signed Bobby Gould if I remember :rubchin: ???? I was VERY young, my uncle took me - he used to do part-time work (ground staff) at Highbury back then. :barscarf:

Two weeks later we (Family) moved with my Dad's job (Military) and I didn't get to see another game for 4 years... :banghead: :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

In the 80’s my school football team and my proper local club team would do annual trips over to matches. Was always either Liverpool v Anybody in Anfield or Manure v Liverpool in the theatre of shite though, as most of the managers and fuckers on both teams were Liverpool fans. I could never talk them into going to Highbury and my first football game was Pool v Manure early 80’s. Saw Arsenal at Anfield once in that time.

Wasn’t proper “away” though.

Lived and worked in Lahndahn in 1990-1991 so did all the home and a good few away, think Pool away was my first proper trip away as part of the Gooner army! In those days (single, money to splash, early 20’s, semen to splash :wink: ) aways were just a huge piss up and usually overnighters chasing local gash. 8)

After I moved back to Dublin awaydays became less and less and after Wenger arrived they became more about Europe. But I was never a die-hard away day regular tbh. Always enjoyed going to Highbury more and threw the money at that.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

My first away was in 1986 /87 think, Norwich or QPR, I can't remember which was first,

Thinking hard :rubchin: I seem to remember QPR being right at the end of the season so it was Norwich then :barscarf:
flash gunner wrote:Mine was a 2-1 win at sp*rs in October 1987. It was the David Pleat pervert game and after going 1-0 down after 60 seconds Thomas and Rocastle scored :barscarf:
My first NLD away, it was beautiful, gooners and blow up dolls everwhere, I used to have the t shirt too, sex case sex case, hang him, hang him, hang him.

Was it this match where Bruno and Bugner were paraded at halftime (as they were due to fight soon after) and we cheered big frank, so the spuds were left with bugner as their hero ?

markyp

Post by markyp »

against southampton in 91,a triple deflection put us in the lead from a magic man shot then big hooter(who else) equalised.saw a motorcyclist catapulted sky high on the way home as a car shot through the lights and t boned him!! :o

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Chavs. 1978 age 8. sat up in the sky in the top of their new stand.

i think we drew. i only really remember seeing clive walkers long blonde hair from a mile away (poof), and knowing that Ray Wilkins was playing... (i was a England fan then too.doh)

The difference between them and us was massive then, even to an 8 year old - the stands at Highbury were closer to the pitch, the atmosphere in the streets outside calmer before and after the game, the old girl's twin stands of brick and stone, versus a steel and iron skyscraper overlooking a run down concrete bowl effectively with broken fences behind it at the away end, and full of pykies obviously :lol:

We were Marks & Spencers - cool and classic, they were Woolies - cheap and gaudy, needing a good clean.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Liverpool away 1998, four days after winning title Wenger put out a shadow team and we lost 0-4...I had mapped out the end of the season and calculated that we would win the league at Anfield so I managed to get two tickets by writing to Liverpool FC. Anyway Utd dropped points at home to Newcastle and Liverpool on the run in so we won the league earlier than I planned for. Boat over was cancelled so we had to get to Holyhead and bus it down, arrived when we were 0-2 down. Gooners in opposite corner were in great form even cheering the Victim's fourth goal. Victim's fans celebrated signing "you're shit and you're Champions"....really pissed me off , they were playing our reserves.
Arrived home the following day to be met with more crap about Liverpool beating the Champions. Told one plastic 'Pool fan that I had woken up at 4am in my Liverpool hotel room and I thought it was very bright outside. But then I realised it was another false dawn over Merseyside..he didn't get it.
Top Londoner wrote:@ Ipswich Town, Aug '77.
Pat Jennings debut. Lost 1-0, backpass og? (Rix)?
I celebrated a disallowed equaliser, and was convinced when I left the ground that it ended 1-1. First time I necked a beer too, probably explains it.

Jennings, Rice, Powling, Young, O'Leary, Nelson, Rix, Brady, Ross, Stapleton, Macdonald.
Wasn't that game stopped during play because of a torrential downpour ?

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

"Wasn't that game stopped during play because of a torrential downpour ?"

I don't recall that mate. :rubchin: :shock:
I do remember a gooner getting up into the rafters and clambering over to the tractors boys and pissing onto them though. Not exactly torrential though. :lol:

samflitt

Post by samflitt »

My 1st away game was Charlton away when Van Persie scored that volley!!!

Justinsaid

Post by Justinsaid »

Man Utd away, 2001 was my first away game.

I was only 14 and went with my Uncle who is a Utd fan so was in the Utd end. Our train was delayed so we got in just as Henry equalised...

...probably best we dont talk about what happened next.

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Ipswich away 6th March 1993 and we won 4-2 in FA Cup quarter final.

I was sat in front row of home end proudly wearing my Arsenal coat (i was young) when Jimmy Carter waved at me it made my day (like i said i was young!). I didn't feel so bad when we score the first as noticed a few other gooners in amongst home fans! I remember on the way out of Ipswich loads of cars with red and white scarfs beeping horns, great memories.

I had previously seen an Arsenal XI play at Sudbury Town around 1989/1990 in a friendly and remember David O'Leary, Michael Thomas and even Siggi Jonsson involved.