How would an openly gay player be treated today?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Chippy

How would an openly gay player be treated today?

Post by Chippy »

American player and gooner Robbie Rogers has just come out but retired at 25 because he feels it would be impossible to be openly gay in the modern game.

I'd like to hope that he is wrong but then think of the Ashley chants. I'm old enough to remember how racist things used to be, and while it's not perfect it's infinitely better now. Perhaps it needs a few like him to weather the storm.

I'm sure this will lead to some dodgy jokes, but please keep homophobia out of your replies.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013 ... ng-out-gay

northbank123

Re: How would an openly gay player be treated today?

Post by northbank123 »

The media would put them on a pedestal and praise their bravery but then this player coming out would turn into a never-ending circus which would become counter-productive when it's being talked about endlessly. The media don't realise that somebody would prefer apathy to his declaration of homosexuality than making him out to be some kind of hero.

As for fans - well out of a crowd of tens of thousands of people there are going to be countless morons (particularly away fans) who will chant stuff because try as the authorities may homophobia will never carry anything like the stigma that racism does.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

I think it depends on whether the player in question is a controversial character or not. A large part of what football fans do is winding up opposition players and if this player is deserving of a wind up then its likely to be used. Having said that judging by the modern media reaction to any form of un-PC crowd behaviour SWAT teams will probably be deployed to stamp it out.

I think the bigger question is how team-mates and "the dressing room" react to it behind closed doors.
Last edited by LDB on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

augie

Post by augie »

My opposition to all things pc is on record so maybe my view on this might be slightly lopsided but I dont see the big deal about the chanting that would go on at the matches - it isnt racist and is only a sensitive issue cos it refers to homosexuality and it isnt that widespread in the pro game. Would there be an outcry if there was chanting at a hetrosexual players prowess ? People have to make up their mind.....if we are to view homosexuality as normal then they should not be treated any differently to hetrosexual players instead of the ever so predictable over the top coverage that it will bring :roll: :x

skizz_b

Post by skizz_b »

only way a gay footballer would come out would be the same way Gareth Thomas did - announcing it after his career was done.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Like a bitch! :wink: :lol:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

skizz_b wrote:only way a gay footballer would come out would be the same way Gareth Thomas did - announcing it after his career was done.
Tbh everybody knew Gareth Thomas was a shitstabber for years, even worse-kept secret than any of the (allegedly) closet homosexual footballers.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Listening to the commentators etc on TV would be hilarious if there was an 'outed' gay player.........

'Gareth Thomas....protecting the rear...'

'There's Gareth Thomas, probing the opposition defence'

'Thomas rams it home'!!!!

Thomas round the back, he's in here......

Ohhh Thomas went down easily there, got booked and now he's giving the ref a mouthful......

Thomas was pulled off at half time.......

and Thomas made a fist of that attempt.......

:mrgreen:

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

augie wrote:My opposition to all things pc is on record so maybe my view on this might be slightly lopsided but I dont see the big deal about the chanting that would go on at the matches - it isnt racist and is only a sensitive issue cos it refers to homosexuality and it isnt that widespread in the pro game. Would there be an outcry if there was chanting at a hetrosexual players prowess ? People have to make up their mind.....if we are to view homosexuality as normal then they should not be treated any differently to hetrosexual players instead of the ever so predictable over the top coverage that it will bring :roll: :x
The problem is really about where you draw the line. It's acceptable, to us at least, to chant "fat granny shagger", remind Giggs of his family fun, and Terry about his thieving relatives and shagging team mates' partners. Obviously there will be "gay" jokes, but for eg chanting about a player dying of Aids has got to be unacceptable. Difficult one.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

augie wrote:My opposition to all things pc is on record so maybe my view on this might be slightly lopsided but I dont see the big deal about the chanting that would go on at the matches - it isnt racist and is only a sensitive issue cos it refers to homosexuality and it isnt that widespread in the pro game. Would there be an outcry if there was chanting at a hetrosexual players prowess ? People have to make up their mind.....if we are to view homosexuality as normal then they should not be treated any differently to hetrosexual players instead of the ever so predictable over the top coverage that it will bring :roll: :x
I have to agree with you here on this one mate......now I have to disinfect the keyboard :shock: :lol:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Think there would be chants at every game for the rest of his career.

Think the opposition team would deliberately try to target the player with remarks, to wind him up, try to get him to do something to get himself sent off.

Doubt the team mates would make much of it, we have had a bisexual player in our recent team and the other players all knew there was something different about him but they did not make much of a deal of it.

Cannot prove it but I reckon a significant minority of our female team are lesbians.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

i am all in favour of gays in football, if it takes the headlines away from Rio Ferdinand and he's one man crusade to kick racism out of football, :D :D

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

If Gareth Thomas becomes a manager are commentators no longer going to be allowed to say..."It looks like Gareth's team are going to have to come from behind"...

I'm not on a wind up, but think about it. I remember in thebad old days when I sadly listened to the ginger t**t and Wrighty on Talksh*te, how they both made a comment about how Bate Borisov would have to come from behind in the champions league and then started giggling like school boys.

Can you imagine 5live even doing that.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

i think they'd get a lot of abuse. but if they had the stones they'd ignore it or get over it.

if they get targeted by the opposition then their mates on the team are going to stick up for them i'd think. and gay banter goes both ways, i have had gay friends and any abuse they got was met with withering put downs or threats of anal rape.

it will take a lot of courage, as it did for Laurie Cunningham, Cyril Regis etc. and support from their teams and fans.

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

In the end I doubt we will ever know because no one will do it till they retire and not even then for some.

Some professionals think there peers just won't handle it or it will affect their career.