End of the season thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
safcftm

End of the season thread

Post by safcftm »

Apologies for starting a thread that will mention Sunderland quite heavily but, well, our fate appears to be inexorably linked to that of the Arsenal, Arsenal's final position might be affected by Sunderland and, well, its an exciting end to the season at the bottom of the table and (much though you lot hate the "race for 4th"), its quite good that it looks likely to come down to Arsenal or Spurs for the last champions league place so I thought it might be worth a bit discussion to pass the days at work!

Looking at the bottom our point yesterday has given us a bit of a good chance but it still looks likely to be one out of SAFC, Norwich, Wigan or Newcastle to go down. Our goal difference is effectively worth an extra point but all the teams, tantalisingly, have one "winnable" game and one difficult game. If anyone can get something from the difficult game it could spell doom for one of the others. What makes it interesting for me is that two of the clubs (Wigan and the mags) have Arsenal as their difficult game, and we've got Spurs as ours.

Norwich have West Brom at home (who couldn't even beat Wigan at home and look to be on the beach) but then have to go to Man City. SAFC have Southampton at home who are beatable but then have Spurs away. Wigan have Swansea tonight and if they win that they're level on points with us, Newcastle and Norwich (all on 38) and have Villa at home and Arsenal away. Newcastle will fancy their chances of getting something against a pretty disgraceful QPR outfit and then have Arsenal at home.

If you lot do us a favour and beat Wigan and Newcastle then a win at home to Southampton keeps us up. Fail to and we might need a point last day of the season which might actually help Arsenal as we'd need something from Spurs. If we beat Southampton then they might not even be safe, they're only on 39 points and then might need something from their home game with Stoke (they'd fancy their chances to be fair).

So many permutations and a fair few of them involve Arsenal so I thought I'd start this thread, safe to say I'll be an honourary Gooner for the last 2 games of the season and if you could relegate Newcastle at St James' Park, well, we might just bring all of your fans to Sunderland and ply you with free drink all night :wink:

DB10GOONER

Re: End of the season thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

:moderator: VANITY THREAD ALERT!! AWOOGAH!! AWOOOOFUCKINGAH!!! :moderator:

:wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Would love to relegate the Toon. Particularly fucking hate Alan Pardew. Complete arsehole. Self publicising moron. :roll: :x

Reminds me of an Alerdyce-Lite. :lol:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

dean saunders has been sacked at wolves

Clash

Post by Clash »

Interesting post mate and like most seasons now the bottom of the table is more interesting than the top!

I was hoping Stoke would drop but that's not looking very likely now. In some ways I hope its Wigan as they'll only be in this position again next year if they do stay up. The likes of Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa, I would expect to have better seasons next year.

A lot depends on tonight's Wigan v Swansea game. If Wigan don't win that I cant see them getting out of it. But I expect they will win so who knows ...

I do think too much is made of relegation these days though. Like the PL is the be all and end all. Many teams have gone down, regrouped, had a good season and come back up again. West Ham this year and Newcastle last year for instance.

I'm not even gonna give 'the race for 4th' any importance, I just want Arsenal to finish above Spurs and Chelsea and that's as far as it goes for me.

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

DB10GOONER wrote: :moderator: VANITY THREAD ALERT!! AWOOGAH!! AWOOOOFUCKINGAH!!! :moderator:

:lol: you'll not be saying that when we get you into the champions league :wink:
Just think its a funny season whereby the top of the table has seldom been less interesting with the title pretty much sealed ages ago but with the bottom of the table being mental, 2 games to go and even Stoke on 41 points and in 11th place aren't completely safe, anyone in the bottom half could conceivably be relegated. Madness.

Here's the deal - if you lot beat Wigan and Newcastle and help save Sunderland, the Nicklas Bendtner Progress Thread dies. If you don't and we get relegated, it gets bumped next season :shock:
Admittedly you're a mod so you could just lock it/ delete it anyway but, well, that would spoil the fun!

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

Clash wrote:Interesting post mate and like most seasons now the bottom of the table is more interesting than the top!

I was hoping Stoke would drop but that's not looking very likely now. In some ways I hope its Wigan as they'll only be in this position again next year if they do stay up. The likes of Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa, I would expect to have better seasons next year.

A lot depends on tonight's Wigan v Swansea game. If Wigan don't win that I cant see them getting out of it. But I expect they will win so who knows ...

I do think too much is made of relegation these days though. Like the PL is the be all and end all. Many teams have gone down, regrouped, had a good season and come back up again. West Ham this year and Newcastle last year for instance.

I'm not even gonna give 'the race for 4th' any importance, I just want Arsenal to finish above Spurs and Chelsea and that's as far as it goes for me.
Teams can come back up but you only need to look at the many sides who don't - Wolves sacking their manager today having dropped to league 1 being a prime example and who would have thought Leeds would be out of the top flight for so long. Blackburn look a bit fucked, Bolton have struggled at times this season and have missed out, its a hard league to get back out of unless the club is really ran sensibly following relegation. To be honest the championship is more fun - for northern sides there's a lot of easy to get to away games, there's big allocations to be had and, well, we actually win sometimes but despite that I'd still rather we stopped up!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

safcftm wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote: :moderator: VANITY THREAD ALERT!! AWOOGAH!! AWOOOOFUCKINGAH!!! :moderator:

:lol: you'll not be saying that when we get you into the champions league :wink:
Just think its a funny season whereby the top of the table has seldom been less interesting with the title pretty much sealed ages ago but with the bottom of the table being mental, 2 games to go and even Stoke on 41 points and in 11th place aren't completely safe, anyone in the bottom half could conceivably be relegated. Madness.

Here's the deal - if you lot beat Wigan and Newcastle and help save Sunderland, the Nicklas Bendtner Progress Thread dies. If you don't and we get relegated, it gets bumped next season :shock:
Admittedly you're a mod so you could just lock it/ delete it anyway but, well, that would spoil the fun!
Oh Christ. :suicide: :wink:

I might abuse myself but I'd never abuse my mod powers! :wink:

Clash

Post by Clash »

safcftm wrote:
Clash wrote:Interesting post mate and like most seasons now the bottom of the table is more interesting than the top!

Teams can come back up but you only need to look at the many sides who don't - Wolves sacking their manager today having dropped to league 1 being a prime example and who would have thought Leeds would be out of the top flight for so long. Blackburn look a bit fucked, Bolton have struggled at times this season and have missed out, its a hard league to get back out of unless the club is really ran sensibly following relegation. To be honest the championship is more fun - for northern sides there's a lot of easy to get to away games, there's big allocations to be had and, well, we actually win sometimes but despite that I'd still rather we stopped up!
Fair points mate, Wolves is a good example of what can also happen. I think they're the only club to drop from the top division to the third in successive seasons on two separate occasions.

Only since Sky came along has the relegation thing been made into such a drama. And like everything else, its mostly to do with money. Of course nobody wants to see their team relegated but as you say, the championship is more fun. It often looks it when I watch that programme that comes on after MOTD.
Last edited by Clash on Tue May 07, 2013 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I find I enjoy the relegation games more than the Top 4 games tbh. Obviously because The Arsenal aren't stuck in it so I can just enjoy the battle without the worry and fear element! :lol: But also there often is a cavalier fight to the death element that is very entertaining to watch.

I don't give a shit about the CL so all I want is to finish above the Scum. If we also finish above the chavs then that's a bonus. 8)

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I reckon Swansea will get something at Wigan and then they'll lose at us - don't see this fairytale ending this year. Although I imagine most neutrals want them to win tonight at it guarantees some final day fun. If you win one of your final two games you'll definitely be fine, can't see Wigan picking up 7 and the other two picking up 4.

I think Chelsea will take something off Spurs and Arsenal will be able to nick in 4th, although there's sure to be some brown pants along the way there. Hopefully they'll beat Spurs and we can nick in with 4 points but if Spurs do win at Chelsea we are royally fucked.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

northbank123 wrote:I reckon Swansea will get something at Wigan and then they'll lose at us - don't see this fairytale ending this year. Although I imagine most neutrals want them to win tonight at it guarantees some final day fun. If you win one of your final two games you'll definitely be fine, can't see Wigan picking up 7 and the other two picking up 4.

I think Chelsea will take something off Spurs and Arsenal will be able to nick in 4th, although there's sure to be some brown pants along the way there. Hopefully they'll beat Spurs and we can nick in with 4 points but if Spurs do win at Chelsea we are royally fucked.
I think the chavs will beat the scum. That's the absolute key match for the scum and they will bottle it. It is what they do. 8)

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
northbank123 wrote:I reckon Swansea will get something at Wigan and then they'll lose at us - don't see this fairytale ending this year. Although I imagine most neutrals want them to win tonight at it guarantees some final day fun. If you win one of your final two games you'll definitely be fine, can't see Wigan picking up 7 and the other two picking up 4.

I think the chavs will beat the scum. That's the absolute key match for the scum and they will bottle it. It is what they do. 8)
I think so too. Although Chelsea have had plenty of shit results along the way this season they seem far more impervious to the pressure than us and in particular Spurs, and given Spurs' record against them I'd be surprised if they won there. And I'm sure the Chelsea fans would love giving Spurs a good shafting too.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

As soon as I saw the Sessegnon red card I thought Sunderland would be in trouble (particulary with Fletcher out).

I know you'd love to see the Barcodes relegated but personally I'd rather the big clubs with big support were in the PL. I also confess to a soft spot for the Newcastle of Bobby Moncur, Wyn Davies and Alan Foggo (a distant relation of mine).
Wigan, Fulham, Stoke, QPR, Reading do little for the league.

However, I hope with all my heart that we beat Pardew's French brigade as I never want to hear BillyBigBolloxBender mentioned again.

Good luck to us both.

skizz_b

Post by skizz_b »

let's send pardew down!!!!