Champions League Qualifying Round 2013

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
swimmer1

Champions League Qualifying Round 2013

Post by swimmer1 »

Looks a lot easier to qualify 2013/14 for the last 32

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_U ... ons_League

Robin_L

Re: Champions league play off

Post by Robin_L »

Looks like we'll run into one of Zenit St Petersbury, PSV Eindhoven, Mentalist Kharkiv or Fenerbahce then.

Hardly Sparta Prague is it? But you'd hope over two legs we can qualify once more.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Zenit or Fenerbahce would be an unpleasant tie to have, ideally we'd have Pacos de Ferreiras. Other than that there are no terrible trips but also can't expect a walk in the park.

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

PSV 2007 anyone?

Makes for a long season and regurgitated excuses from our dear leader.

Poldi

Post by Poldi »

Don't dare saying it, but if it wasn't about St. Totteringham's Day on the final day I would have settled for a EuroLeague place this year: if Arsenal were to face a German team it would have been Frankfurt or lovely small Black Forrest Town of Freiburg for a change (not Schalke, Dortmund or Bayern for a third time... - okay bring on Leverscum again :barscarf: )...

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

At this stage we have absolutely no idea. But let's have a 50 page thread on all the possibilities. :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :wink:

swimmer1

Post by swimmer1 »

Poldi wrote:Don't dare saying it, but if it wasn't about St. Totteringham's Day on the final day I would have settled for a EuroLeague place this year: if Arsenal were to face a German team it would have been Frankfurt or lovely small Black Forrest Town of Freiburg for a change (not Schalke, Dortmund or Bayern for a third time... - okay bring on Leverscum again :barscarf: )...
Not sure we can play a German sIDE thank god

Poldi

Re: Champions League Qualifying Round 2013

Post by Poldi »

right, maybe later in the competition then: Leverkusen have already qualyfied for the CL, Schalke came in 4th and will be playing the play-off just like us. Couldn't really figure out the rules and the teams who take part in the 3 qualification rounds before we actually enter the final CL-qualifying round.

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

northbank123 wrote:ideally we'd have Pacos de Ferreiras.
Don't we have to draw another seeded team?

It's still a bit early to tell as the earlier qualifying rounds can affect the teams in the draw & seedings. But unless i'm reading this wrong, it looks like we could get AC Milan, Schalke and probably Zenit or Valencia?

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uef ... l2013.html

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Dan_85 wrote:

It's still a bit early to tell as the earlier qualifying rounds can affect the teams in the draw & seedings. But unless i'm reading this wrong, it looks like we could get AC Milan, Schalke and probably Zenit or Valencia?

The process is split into Champions and non-champions, so we can't face any domestic league winners.

The clubs from England, Germany, Spain, Portugal and Italy go straight into the play-off round with the various other 2nd/3rd placed teams playing off for the other 5 places in a preliminary round. In the play-off round the top 5 co-efficients are seeded and can't play each other. This will definitely include us, Milan and Schalke, and will include Valencia and Lyon if they qualify. If either of them fail to qualify for the play-off round (Valencia currently 5th, Lyon should get 3rd but have to play preliminary round) then Zenit will be seeded (if they qualify).

Worst case scenario is Zenit are unseeded and we draw them, otherwise I guess Fenerbahce or PSV would be tricky if we drew either of those. Other than that there are some pretty cack teams in there.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Dan_85 wrote:

Its usually seeds versus non seeds i think.That would mean Pacos Ferreira and 4 others,we cant get Schalke or Milan thankfully as we would probably get brownholed :oops:

Rohan

Post by Rohan »

Real Madrid is ready for this year final.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Chippy wrote:At this stage we have absolutely no idea. But let's have a 50 page thread on all the possibilities. :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :wink:
Quality Chippy!!

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

falkirk goon wrote:
Dan_85 wrote:

Its usually seeds versus non seeds i think.That would mean Pacos Ferreira and 4 others,we cant get Schalke or Milan thankfully as we would probably get brownholed :oops:
Yep, you're right. Unless UEFA have changed the rules it's seeded vs unseeded, my mistake.

augie

Post by augie »

Hope we get the toughest draw possible :roll: