The Red / Silver Membership Dynamic

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bring Back Pires

The Red / Silver Membership Dynamic

Post by Bring Back Pires »

Hopefully this won't be perceived as a rant, but I fear that it may. Just a commentary on the membership system which the club has in place, which seems rather unfair in my view.

I've been a red member since 2004/05, when the scheme was first introduced. As a result, i'm in the top 25% of the silver membership waiting list, according to the gentleman at the box office. I can't envision being offered a silver membership in the near future, as people probably aren't relinquishing their memberships at any rate.

As a red member this season, i've attended every home game possible by holding this membership. The only games i've missed are the Man Utd and Chelsea games, which sold out before going on sale to red members. I've also had to pay 67 quid for the West Ham ticket, which is obviously my choice, but a commitment nonetheless.

And then a silver member saunters in at 3.10pm in front of me, with his kids, and is seemingly more concerned about buying food and drink than actually watching the game. He leaves approximately ten minutes before the end of the game.

Yet come the end of the season, this nimrod will have the opportunity to swan in and buy a ticket for our potential championship winning match, whereas red members such as myself, who have been putting the effort (and cost) in week-in week-out, are suddenly left on the outside.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as bitter, but it just seems unfair that fans who go every week can be overtaken by more casual fans, just because of their membership level. Scrap waiting lists for the silver memberships - they should be handed out on a credits system, based on who attends most matches in a particular season.

I will probably end up going to 20 home games this season; a silver member could go to none, and still end up having priority over me next season. Surely this is no way to treat loyal fans?

REB

Post by REB »

im 19000 on the silver waiting list and do so understand your point, you find a lot of silvers keep there cards just for the big games,

and with junior gunners getting automatic silver when they reach age is another gripe for a lot of people :roll:

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

That guy has probably held his membership for a decade or so, long before we were fashionable.

He most likely spends an absolute fortune taking his kids to matches and whilst there spends a shed load on burgers, programmes and other tat from the club shop.

Yes he may only select to go to the Cat A games nowadays, be thankful he does as it gives Red Members an opportunity to get to other matches.

Silver members are such by merit and reward for being Ticket Registration Members in the Old days.

Not a rant, just light blue touch paper and stand back :lol:

Bring Back Pires

Don't get me wrong, i'm not a bandwagon fan expecting to shoot up the rankings overnight. I've been a fan since 1993 (when I turned nine), and held a season ticket at Highbury for seven years (which could no longer be financed; something not in my hands as a child!)

Maybe he has held his membership for ten years, but does being a good fan ten years ago automatically mean that you have right of way over good fans now? I'm not denying him the opporunity to attend games, but if people like this have the offer of tickets, the more loyal red members should also be given the opportunity.

Does spending lots of cash on merchandise make you a good fan? I'd rather it if he spent nothing on merchandise, turned up on time for the game, stayed until the end, and actually gave two hoots about the match. A rare occurance these days I suppose!

Perhaps he did earn his membership by merit; but how many seasons of attending 20+ home games does it take to merit a silver membership these days?

REB

Post by REB »

wayno,, two of my friends are silver,we all joined the membership at the same time,(first year )
we were told too by arsenal :? and they threw in two silver cards as a reward, the same two guys only go to one game a year :roll:

then again as a supp club we dont have any problems getting tickets as we are well est at this stage :wink:

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

I do not know the fairest way of ensuring that everyone can get tickets to the BIG matches, perhaps we need a bigger stadium :lol:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I must have joined just before you Rebel. I'm 18989 on the silver waiting list. Strangely though my missus, who joined just after me, is marginally ahead of me on the waiting list :?: I don't know, I can't explain it. I was going to question it but got threatened with castration if I fucked up her position.

REB

Post by REB »

SPUDMASHER wrote:I must have joined just before you Rebel. I'm 18989 on the silver waiting list. Strangely though my missus, who joined just after me, is marginally ahead of me on the waiting list :?: I don't know, I can't explain it. I was going to question it but got threatened with castration if I fucked up her position.
dont know how they worked out the waiting list but just checked my membership and im 19980 away from silver,

never happen i guess :roll:

samstrange

Post by samstrange »

rebel gooner wrote:im 19000 on the silver waiting list and do so understand your point, you find a lot of silvers keep there cards just for the big games,

and with junior gunners getting automatic silver when they reach age is another gripe for a lot of people :roll:

I agree, i am actually a Junior gunner for my last year and i do agree that it is totally rediculous how junior gunners go straight to silver members. i Believe they should start at Red membership.

Dont have a go at me for it though as i use it to full advantage and go to every game, so im not the one to blame :lol: :wink:

Bring Back Pires

rebel gooner wrote:
SPUDMASHER wrote:I must have joined just before you Rebel. I'm 18989 on the silver waiting list. Strangely though my missus, who joined just after me, is marginally ahead of me on the waiting list :?: I don't know, I can't explain it. I was going to question it but got threatened with castration if I fucked up her position.
dont know how they worked out the waiting list but just checked my membership and im 19980 away from silver,

Where exactly on the website can you check your position in the queue? I've checked every area I can think of, but haven't stumble across it...

T.S

Post by T.S »

I'm sure there are just as many fairweather red members as there are silver. I've been a member since the old Ticket Registration Scheme, so I got my silver membership automatically.

I would say this about a possible credits scheme; firstly, I don't know what it would be like at the Grove, but for the last few games at Highbury, you had to have attended a certain number of games to qualify for tickets. I guess we'll see if that still applies this season if we're still in contention for the title towards the end.

Secondly, a credits scheme would probably make no difference. A silver member could simply buy a ticket and sell it on to a mate if he doesn't want to attend, thus gaining more credits than, for example, a more hardcore red member who simply cannot afford to attend all games. Where's the justice in that?

The bottom line is that you can't please everyone and I don't think there is a way of properly ensuring only 'real' fans attend.

crocit

Post by crocit »

Bring Back Pires wrote:
rebel gooner wrote:

Where exactly on the website can you check your position in the queue? I've checked every area I can think of, but haven't stumble across it...
i'd like to know this too :D

Bring Back Pires

tonysaunders wrote:I'm sure there are just as many fairweather red members as there are silver. I've been a member since the old Ticket Registration Scheme, so I got my silver membership automatically.

I would say this about a possible credits scheme; firstly, I don't know what it would be like at the Grove, but for the last few games at Highbury, you had to have attended a certain number of games to qualify for tickets. I guess we'll see if that still applies this season if we're still in contention for the title towards the end.

Secondly, a credits scheme would probably make no difference. A silver member could simply buy a ticket and sell it on to a mate if he doesn't want to attend, thus gaining more credits than, for example, a more hardcore red member who simply cannot afford to attend all games. Where's the justice in that?

The bottom line is that you can't please everyone and I don't think there is a way of properly ensuring only 'real' fans attend.
Oh, i'm not doubting that many red members are fairweather fans too. Many I read / hear from say that they only have the chance to buy tickets for 2-3 games per season, which is complete nonsense. I'm convinced that some pay for the membership and never even buy any tickets.

In relation to the credits scheme, i'm saying that if a red member has 20 credits (in a season), and a silver member has one or two, then the red member should also be offered a silver membership for the next season. I'm not saying that the original silver member should be stripped of his membership.

If a silver member bought tickets and sold them on to others all season long, at least he's bothered enough to make the effort! I'm sure that there's MANY that wouldn't bother doing this though. I'm convinced that there's a plethora of silver members that haven't bought a single ticket this season. And I don't see the reasoning in them being allowed in next season, just because they were a good fan ten years ago!

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

THE KEY TO OBTAINING TICKETS, WHETHER YOU ARE A SILVER MEMBER OR A RED MEMBER, IS KNOWING PRECISELY WHEN THE TICKETS GO ON SALE FOR YOUR CATEGORY AND APPLYING STRAIGHT AWAY.

IF YOU GET ON TO ARSENAL.COM OR THE TICKET OFFICE THE MORNING OF THE SALE (SILVER MEMBER 2 MONTHS BEFORE THE FIXTURE, RED 1 MONTH BEFORE) YOU SHOULD MANAGE TO GET A TICKET FOR ALMOST ANY GAME YOU CAN AFFORD TO GO TO.

ADMITTEDLY, BY THE TIME BIG MATCHES REACH THE RED MEMBERS SALE DATE, THE ONLY TICKETS LEFT ARE GENERALLY THE MOST EXPENSIVE ONES. YET ANY SILVER MEMBER SHOULD EASILY BE ABLE TO PURCHASE TICKETS AT A (RELATIVELY) REASONABLE PRICE WITHOUT TOO MUCH TROUBLE, SHOULD THEY APPLY EARLY ENOUGH.

BEFORE GETTING MY SEASON TICKET WHEN WE MOVED TO ASHBURTON GROVE - AFTER 10 YEARS OF BEING ON THE WAITING LIST!! - I USE TO BE A TICKET REGISTRATION MEMBER AND COULD GET TICKETS FOR BASICALLY ANY MATCH I WANTED (BAR THE ODD OCASSIONAL BIG ONE DUE TO THE INCREASE IN THE NUMBERS APPLYING) AND IT WAS ALL DOWN TO GOOD, ADVANCED PLANNING. :lol: :wink:

REB

Post by REB »

Bring Back Pires wrote:
rebel gooner wrote:

on your membership form ,its at the bottom next to your password for arsenal .com