Everton FA Cup

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Re: Everton FA Cup

Post by Nos89 »

With our recent history of goalies fabianski will pick up an injury if he plays so its got to Szcezney in goal, back 4 i'd go with jenkinson instead of sagna. With overlapping full backs as a everton's main offensive tactic, IMO sagna gets caught out too often. Jenkinson will be more disciplined in holding his position.
Midfield flamini, arteta ozil, up front gnabry, giroud and chamberlain.

Good news Jagielka will be out.

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Was Monreal out against The Orcs?, he was subbed with an injury at half time for Jenkinson V sunderland? Gibbs should play but then he was injured recently too, so Im not sure that we can really say who is "best" at the moment of Gibbs/ Monreal or Jenkinson- all depends on their state of fitness IMHO. If all are fully fit it should be Gibbs of course.

Similar sort of discussion over Flappy and Chez- both have played well, and as stated there are arguements for one over the other in this match, Wouldnt really go for AW if any of the defence/GKs listed here with Kos if fit BFG and Sagna.

Its the midfield and attack that have more questions, does Ozil and Santi play, whos the DM (?S) and who is/ are up front?

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

remigardeshair wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:
remigardeshair wrote:Playing Fabianski in this game would be madness purely because if he picked up an injury, we'd have good old Viv in goal for the Bayern game, and we need someone more reliable than him when we are 3-1 up and clinging on for dear life.
Spot on ,but you just know tht is something that he is very likely going to do,play flappy and then hope he doesnt get injured.

Arsene knows best :roll:
H
I'd play Fabianski. The risk associated to a goalkeeper being injured is pretty low, in my opinion. Plus, we're out of the CL anyway, so what does it really matter? If anything, Everton is the more important game, so Fabianski should be playing anyway.
If Everton is the more important game then surely we should be playing our first choice goalkeeper :rubchin:
Oh yeah! :oops:

I seemingly got myself confused over the Szczesny situation, apologies. But yes, I'd play Szczesny against Everton and Fabianski against Bayern. It's possible this was the general consensus in the first place, but I've lost track.

Slowly tip-toeing backwards out of the room...

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
remigardeshair wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:
remigardeshair wrote:Playing Fabianski in this game would be madness purely because if he picked up an injury, we'd have good old Viv in goal for the Bayern game, and we need someone more reliable than him when we are 3-1 up and clinging on for dear life.
Spot on ,but you just know tht is something that he is very likely going to do,play flappy and then hope he doesnt get injured.

Arsene knows best :roll:
H
I'd play Fabianski. The risk associated to a goalkeeper being injured is pretty low, in my opinion. Plus, we're out of the CL anyway, so what does it really matter? If anything, Everton is the more important game, so Fabianski should be playing anyway.
If Everton is the more important game then surely we should be playing our first choice goalkeeper :rubchin:
Oh yeah! :oops:

I seemingly got myself confused over the Szczesny situation, apologies. But yes, I'd play Szczesny against Everton and Fabianski against Bayern. It's possible this was the general consensus in the first place, but I've lost track.

Slowly tip-toeing backwards out of the room...
Get back here and join the consensus :x :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Is anyone else worried that if Everton turn up and play like they did last time - we could well blow it!?

We need to take control of the game (pace/tempo/mid-field and out match them to every ball) otherwise they will get into their rythm and we will do the usual under the tacticless one.

:|

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

OneBardGooner wrote:Is anyone else worried that if Everton turn up and play like they did last time - we could well blow it!?

We need to take control of the game (pace/tempo/mid-field and out match them to every ball) otherwise they will get into their rythm and we will do the usual under the tacticless one.

:|
Well we should treat them like when Swansea come to visit, we respect they can keep the ball, we should try and win it early up the pitch if not get people behind the ball stay compact, and win it when we can. The problem with that we lack pace to counter them.

I think last time they came we were getting frustrated we could not get the ball back, leaving positions, pressing poorly and opening up space for them to exploit.

I think Liverpool pressed them into submission and they couldn't deal with it and kept giving the ball away, er rather like they did to us.

silus

Post by silus »

2-1 to The Arsenal.

Tough game..Wenker will start with sanogo as it worked ( we got away with it ) against Liverpool.

We'll then get a day out at Wembley against city...Wenker will start with sanogo as it worked ( we got away with it ) against Everton...we'll start off well, sanogo will miss a sitter or two then flappy will fuck up and give a goal away ( he must be due one)..we will then fall apart, city will then put another 3 or 4 past us...season over.

Kvltman

Post by Kvltman »

A draw is a likely outcome I feel, the same type of game as in December. A replay thrown into the middle of the other fixtures we have (I'd guess inbetween Spurs and Chelsea games?) would not be handy. Best way to go about it is as we did against Liverpool in the previous round and try to prevent them from keeping the ball but they are very good at pressing the wings and Sagna and Monreal have been suspect recently.

Will be interested to see who he picks out of Giroud and Sanogo, the perception thing mentioned earlier to the keeper situation applies here too I think...I would expect Giroud to start both games but you just never know with Wenger :wink:

redfox

Post by redfox »

Everton have been one of the best teams at our ground this season. Tuff game ahead us Saturday, we need to come out and attack straight away. None of this waiting till the second half before we start playing football.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Frankly I don't really give a shit if Fabianski gets injured and we have to play our U10 keeper at Bayern, he had a good game in the last round but he is an accident waiting to happen. He should without doubt play Szczesny. As he should have in the last two rounds.

I would also start Sanogo. He certainly doesn't fit my definition of a PL footballer but Everton will undoubtedly try and make the game as compact as possible when we're in possession. Giroud either drops in to show feet or pulls out to make some stupid run in the channel - either way it doesn't worry their defenders and allows them to press us even more aggressively with the key area between the lines wiped out. It's predictable and offers little to no threat. Sanogo may be a crap striker (as opposed to mediocre like Giroud) but his willingness to offer an option in behind and somewhat erratic movement occupies the centre-backs and stretches the gap behind their midfielders, which is absolutely key for a team with players like Ozil, Cazorla and Rosicky. No way would we have started at the same lightning-fast speed against Bayern had Giroud been playing imo.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

i'd like to see us start Sanogo and Gnabry.

------------------Sanogo--------------------
-------------------Ozil-------------------
Rosicky---Flam-----Ox------Gnabry

Kallstrom is fit for this though yes ?

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Nos89 wrote:With our recent history of goalies fabianski will pick up an injury if he plays so its got to Szcezney in goal, back 4 i'd go with jenkinson instead of sagna. With overlapping full backs as a everton's main offensive tactic, IMO sagna gets caught out too often. Jenkinson will be more disciplined in holding his position.
Midfield flamini, arteta ozil, up front gnabry, giroud and chamberlain.

Good news Jagielka will be out.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Seems I'm not the only one on here that has been taking illegal, mind-altering substances!! :oops: :lol: :lol: :wink:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Don't care about the FA cup anymore, gave up caring about it when we last won it (although being absolutely destroyed for the entire game), I've been to a few finals and most of them were shite to watch.

I only care about winning the league, the cups are just an interruption in the league games for me.

So although I always want The Arsenal to win, if we lose this I won't be bothered.

Anyhow if we won the FA Cup then Arsene will be offered a 4 year contract on 9 million a year :roll:

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:Don't care about the FA cup anymore, gave up caring about it when we last won it (although being absolutely destroyed for the entire game), I've been to a few finals and most of them were shite to watch.

I only care about winning the league, the cups are just an interruption in the league games for me.

So although I always want The Arsenal to win, if we lose this I won't be bothered.

Anyhow if we won the FA Cup then Arsene will be offered a 4 year contract on 9 million a year :roll:
:shock: :shock:

Lefty are you Arsene in disguise :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thierry 3-8-99

Post by Thierry 3-8-99 »

Perfectly confident with this one Arsene will have reassessed things and realised why we didn't beat them in the League and so with some minor tinkering/excellent tactical tampering we will just do enough :wink: