who would you pick?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
jrthgooner

who would you pick?

Post by jrthgooner »

Bearing in mind our confidence looks shot to pieces all over the pitch and the fact we now really need to win every single game we have left I wondered what others might do with the team if they were in charge. My team (below) would be a mixture of potential but also some pace which we have missed in the last few games badly:

Sczesny - who else do we have?
Jenkinson - provides some pace gong forwards and backwards to cover the lumbering German
Mertersacker - make him captain again and let him boss the others around
Vermaelen - Koscielny won't be fit again this season given the way our medical team works
Sagna - if Gibbs is injured he has to play here (Monreal just can't cope with the premier league)
Ox - provide pace and the ability to carry the ball for us
Flamini - most mobile defensive midfielder we have and a good organiser of those around him
Ramsey - we have missed the only centre midfielder we have who is prepared to run in behind the opposition
Rosicky - turns and takes us forward as well as having some pace about him despite his age
Cazorla - has the ability to pick a great pass providing people run forward to help him out
Podolski - the only forward with a real eye for goal and who can run behind the opposition at something other than snail pace

The bench is a lottery because with our usual injuries in place those left standing will make it I think

markyp

Re: who would you pick?

Post by markyp »

its hard to pick anybody from the current shower,Sir Chez is showing himself as the clown prince that he is,jenks isn't ready,monreal isn't good enough,verms well what has happened to him??giroud is an oxygen thief,surely even barry bender would do more,i give up :(

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Fundamental mistake wenger made today was to allow the full backs to be exposed.

Wrighty made a good point on 606, sagna should have played left side to deal with lukaku, jenkinson right side with the ox in front of him to put a shift in and double up when everton pushed forward on that side.

Even then podolski is a lazy fucker who never plays for the team.

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

nut flush gooner wrote:Fundamental mistake wenger made today was to allow the full backs to be exposed.

Wrighty made a good point on 606, sagna should have played left side to deal with lukaku, jenkinson right side with the ox in front of him to put a shift in and double up when everton pushed forward on that side.
There is an interview with The Ox on Pravda that was done on Thursday where he talks about their fb's and how big a threat they are, think his manager was too busy counting the zeros on his fat contract to heed the warning :oops: :censored:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

topgoon wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:Fundamental mistake wenger made today was to allow the full backs to be exposed.

There is an interview with The Ox on Pravda that was done on Thursday where he talks about their fb's and how big a threat they are, think his manager was too busy counting the zeros on his fat contract to heed the warning :oops: :censored:
But if the players recognise the threat in the opposition why isn't someone, anyone telling Wenker that his system of pushing our fullbacks to the opposition box, producing a shit "cross" is leaving us very very exposed time after time,after time.

I don't think the players believe in Wenker, his system, his team talk, his bullshit anymore and the end is nigh. :barscarf:

Peeman

Post by Peeman »

The irony of it is that Wanker will not play Sagna "out of position" but has no problem playing :

Arteta
Rosicky
Cazorla
Podolski

out of position today. Not even going to get in to playing the new Stanley Matthews (Bendtner) and Diaby etc on the wing.

I hate the very sight of him.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I would stop shifting Cazorla out wide to accommodate others and remind him what a quality player he is. I would not pick Monreal under any circumstances. I would not pick Arteta and Flamini together, especially if it means Flamini takes it upon himself to play as a box-to-box midfielder to compensate for our lack of creativity. To be honest I just wouldn't pick Arteta at all at the moment unless Flamini is unavailable. I would seriously consider starting Sanogo instead of Giroud as even though he stumbles round like a horse ready for the glue factory he does at least stretch the game, offer an option in behind and create space between midfield and defence for others instead of making brainless, sluggish runs and giving the defenders the most comfortable afternoon they'll have all season. I would keep Gnabry involved more instead of rewarding his great displays when he's had an opportunity by keeping his pace and directness in the ressies.

nut flush gooner

StuartL wrote:
topgoon wrote:

But if the players recognise the threat in the opposition why isn't someone, anyone telling Wenker that his system of pushing our fullbacks to the opposition box, producing a shit "cross" is leaving us very very exposed time after time,after time.

I don't think the players believe in Wenker, his system, his team talk, his bullshit anymore and the end is nigh. :barscarf:
That wasnt the problem, it was more the non backtracking and backing up of cazorla and podolski that caused us the problems. You know if the ox had started he would at least have burst a lung to break up their counter attacks.

augie

Post by augie »

chesney

sagna BFG tv5 dumb or dumber

ox ramsey rosicky gnarby

wakemeup podolski

Simples 8)

nut flush gooner

augie wrote:chesney

ox ramsey rosicky gnarby

wakemeup podolski

Simples 8)
Podolski can fuck off, overated piece of shite.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

nut flush gooner wrote:
StuartL wrote:
topgoon wrote:

That wasnt the problem, it was more the non backtracking and backing up of cazorla and podolski that caused us the problems. You know if the ox had started he would at least have burst a lung to break up their counter attacks.
I wasn't specifically referring to today's debacle as thankfully I didn't get to watch much of it.

You are right of course, our tracking back is lamentable, very half hearted, if done at all, if you get goalside of any of our midfield players you are basically clean through on goal as they won't catch you up and the defence backs off until you shoot.

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:

ox ramsey rosicky gnarby

wakemeup podolski

Simples 8)

And if he is still shit playing in his proper position (centre forward) then I will agree with you 8)
In the meantime I want 2 strikers and I aint playing le lampost so wakemeup and podolski it is then

nut flush gooner

augie wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

ox ramsey rosicky gnarby

wakemeup podolski

Simples 8)

And if he is still shit playing in his proper position (centre forward) then I will agree with you 8)
In the meantime I want 2 strikers and I aint playing le lampost so wakemeup and podolski it is then
They say he's the best finisher at the club, well I have yet to see evidence of that. You don't have to be an out and out front man to prove this. How many goals did freddie and bobby get from wide positions? Also Lukaku didnt seem to have a problem playing out wide today, but hes diff class to pod and giroud, we should buy him.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Lev Yashin

Cafu Bould Adams Maldini

Socrates Vieira Zidane

Dalglish

Bergkamp Henry

4-3-1-2. That should do the trick.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Nut Flush what is your problem with Podolski? The level of criticism you're singling him out for is bizarre.

And if you really think that comparing him with Ljungberg and Pires' records in the Invincibles team doesn't need any qualification then you need to rethink.