Info for Debenture/Bondholders

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nut flush gooner

Info for Debenture/Bondholders

Post by nut flush gooner »

Not sure if there are many bondholders in the forum, but I found out today that Brewin Dolphin the broker who used to transact the buying and selling of bonds relinquished their responsibilities last year.

Arsenal have taken this in house now, and it appears the guy who was specifically employed to deal with the bonds has left already, and no one else has a fucking clue who or what to do with bondholder enquiries.

Basically a bond entitles you to either a reduced price silver membership, OR a gold membership when it suits you. If you give up your gold membership, you can revert back to your silver membership at any time.

In a nutshell any enquiries relating to season tickets should go to the box office, or anything else should go to the registrar.

E-mail: [email protected]

Address:
Capita Asset Services
The Registry
34 Beckenham Road
Beckenham
Kent
BR3 4TU

There are fewer benefits of purchasing a bond these days, but the second tranche (class c and d) that where issued attract a rate of interest that is superior to what you get with high street banks, and on redemption the full cash value of the bond will be returned including interest (I think the redemption dates around 2028). So not a bad investment and of course you jump the season ticket waiting list. I haven't got a clue what the bonds are worth, at one stage the original £1,500 bonds where trading for over £4,500 when we left highbury but I should imagine they are worth less now.

Eboue-Why?

Re: Info for Debenture/Bondholders

Post by Eboue-Why? »

I remember being gutted in the early 90s at not having the money to buy one. My mates who did were entitled to get a discount on their North Bank STs and pay around £200 I seem to remember, a real bargain at the time.
As you say, no idea what they're worth now, all down to supply and demand.

nut flush gooner

Eboue-Why? wrote:I remember being gutted in the early 90s at not having the money to buy one. My mates who did were entitled to get a discount on their North Bank STs and pay around £200 I seem to remember, a real bargain at the time.
As you say, no idea what they're worth now, all down to supply and demand.
Yup, all my mates said I was a mug for shelling out £1,500 which was a shed load of wonga in those days, but as their season ticket prices rose and myne where pegged back by inflation, I effectively ended up with a 10 year discount on my season tickets that was a lot more than the initial outlay.

Happysteveo

Post by Happysteveo »

Thanks for this. My dad sold his £1100 bond in 1998 for £3800.

I'v still got mine, silver member. Didn't know I could get season ticket then go back to silver if wanted :barscarf:

armchair

Post by armchair »

To confirm, there are four types of debentures; A, B, C and D.

Type..........Last Trade Price.........................Difference
A .....................£1,400.............................No interest accrued
............................................................Can be redeemed for £1,500 in July 2106

B......................£1,400.............................No interest accrued
...........................................................Can be redeemed for £1,100 in July 2106

C......................£4,800............................2.75% Compound interest accrued each year
...........................................................(until redemption) Can be redeemed for £5,000 in July 2028

D......................£4,150............................2.75% Compound interest accrued each year
...........................................................(until redemption) Can be redeemed for £3,500 in July 2028

Each Debenture gives you the right to bypass the season ticket waiting list and purchase a season ticket.

To redeem a debenture you must write to the club one month before the redemption date. Failure to redeem at redemption date will mean that the debenture will roll on for another 25/100 year fixed period (depends on debenture type).

The interest for the ‘C’ and ‘D’ Debentures is not paid out annually, but instead the interest is compounded and paid out once the bond is redeemed. It is therefore anticipated that the holder of the ‘C’ debenture will receive £9,800 back if redeemed in July 2028 and a holder of a ‘D’ debenture will receive approximately £6,800 back if redeemed also in July 2028

manninger

Post by manninger »

nut flush gooner wrote:Not sure if there are many bondholders in the forum, but I found out today that Brewin Dolphin the broker who used to transact the buying and selling of bonds relinquished their responsibilities last year.

Arsenal have taken this in house now, and it appears the guy who was specifically employed to deal with the bonds has left already, and no one else has a fucking clue who or what to do with bondholder enquiries.

Basically a bond entitles you to either a reduced price silver membership, OR a gold membership when it suits you. If you give up your gold membership, you can revert back to your silver membership at any time.

In a nutshell any enquiries relating to season tickets should go to the box office, or anything else should go to the registrar.

E-mail: [email protected]

Address:
Capita Asset Services
The Registry
34 Beckenham Road
Beckenham
Kent
BR3 4TU

There are fewer benefits of purchasing a bond these days, but the second tranche (class c and d) that where issued attract a rate of interest that is superior to what you get with high street banks, and on redemption the full cash value of the bond will be returned including interest (I think the redemption dates around 2028). So not a bad investment and of course you jump the season ticket waiting list. I haven't got a clue what the bonds are worth, at one stage the original £1,500 bonds where trading for over £4,500 when we left highbury but I should imagine they are worth less now.
Cheers m8 for information...have a C Debenture and did not know that I could go back to Silver if I had a season ticket.......but would a season ticket take me to a away game? l

nut flush gooner

armchair wrote:To confirm, there are four types of debentures; A, B, C and D.

Type..........Last Trade Price.........................Difference
A .....................£1,400.............................No interest accrued
............................................................Can be redeemed for £1,500 in July 2106

B......................£1,400.............................No interest accrued
...........................................................Can be redeemed for £1,100 in July 2106

C......................£4,800............................2.75% Compound interest accrued each year
...........................................................(until redemption) Can be redeemed for £5,000 in July 2028

D......................£4,150............................2.75% Compound interest accrued each year
...........................................................(until redemption) Can be redeemed for £3,500 in July 2028

Each Debenture gives you the right to bypass the season ticket waiting list and purchase a season ticket.

To redeem a debenture you must write to the club one month before the redemption date. Failure to redeem at redemption date will mean that the debenture will roll on for another 25/100 year fixed period (depends on debenture type).

The interest for the ‘C’ and ‘D’ Debentures is not paid out annually, but instead the interest is compounded and paid out once the bond is redeemed. It is therefore anticipated that the holder of the ‘C’ debenture will receive £9,800 back if redeemed in July 2028 and a holder of a ‘D’ debenture will receive approximately £6,800 back if redeemed also in July 2028
The C debentures seem like a really good investment, given the stability of the club financially and the underlying guarantees. 100% plus return in 14 years is not to be sniffed at. I wonder if I could buy some more and put them in a SIPP.......

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

armchair wrote:

something wrong there boy, - same maturity and same coupon should be same price (yield) in the bond market - i'd guess the D price or redemption date is wrong.

if not - sell the D for 4150 (forego the 3500), and buy the C for 4800 and receive 5,000 back plus interest.

ie arbitrage trade.

Herd

Post by Herd »

I have 2 but no paperwork on them after a burglary ,and I paid 1500 quid each for them and have 2 X Season Tickets !

I thought that if I don't renew I get a silver membership

nut flush gooner

Herd wrote:I have 2 but no paperwork on them after a burglary ,and I paid 1500 quid each for them and have 2 X Season Tickets !

I thought that if I don't renew I get a silver membership
You don't automatically get it herd, you still have to pay a membership albeit at a much reduced rate.

For your certificates, if they have been stolen I would contact the registrar, they can issue you with replacements for a small fee. Will also stop anyone from trying to commit fraud with your bonds, which are still worth a few bob.

armchair

Post by armchair »

clockender1 wrote:
armchair wrote:

something wrong there boy, - same maturity and same coupon should be same price (yield) in the bond market - i'd guess the D price or redemption date is wrong.

if not - sell the D for 4150 (forego the 3500), and buy the C for 4800 and receive 5,000 back plus interest.

ie arbitrage trade.
Dunno ce. Its taken from a standard email I got from brewin dolphin bout a year or so ago.

I'll stick with what they say though as they were the ones dealing with it for years. Anyway I hope your financial nouse is a tad better than your opinions on players. Like Rooney is shit but Gervinho isnt and was only "played out of position"
:wink: :lol:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

last time i try and help you :censored:

:lol:

& i did not say Rooney was shit, I said he is overweight and unfocused.

Paul Scholes hinted at the same just recently FWTW....

Gerv -we'll see, one swallow doesn't make a summer. i'm interested to see how he does in the world cup.

Mistical92

Post by Mistical92 »

Just wondering, how would someone go about buying one of these bonds?

nut flush gooner

Mistical92 wrote:Just wondering, how would someone go about buying one of these bonds?
Give me ten grand and you can have myne. 8)

Seriously though, it looks like you will have to wait until Arsenal recruit someone to deal with the bonds or contact the registrar. Tbh you are probably better off just going onto he season ticket waiting list and waiting a few years.

perrygrovesworld

Post by perrygrovesworld »

I think the difference might have something to do with the price of the bonds at issue. C bonds were priced at £5,000 each and D bonds were £3,500 each.
clockender1 wrote:
armchair wrote:

ie arbitrage trade.