The 2015 Transfer Rumours Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: The 2015 Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by augie »

rigsby wrote:17 mil is actually pretty accurate price for Welbeck in this market. Premier league winner, full England international with a very good goal record. Not top draw, but certainly a very good player. Considering the prices banded around for players these days, that's about right.

I still think he'll turn into a very shrewd signing. He showed flashes last year and certainly 1 year is not enough to judge a player on. Plus that goal against United is still a thing of beauty.

And djimi traore was a champions league winner and a full international for his country so what does that prove ? Wellbeck was a peripheral figure in a strong manure side that were winning trophies - no doubt he made some contributions along the way, but you cant quantify a guy because he has medals whilst a player (like cesc for example) might be miles better than him but playing for a team that wasnt winning trophies :(

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Augie i agree that Danny will probably never be a world class striker but i'd also like to see him given a chance. Unfortunately at Man U he suffered from always being in the shadow of better on form strikers and here he's suffering from being in a squad with Giroud who it seems will nearly always be AW's first choice.

Strikers probably more than any other players have to play to prove themselves and unfortunately i don't think Danny will get the chance herem. He has proven he can score for England numerous times and i'd honestly like to see him get a run if nothing else to prove whether, and again i agree here, his over inflated price tag is actually worth it.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

I feel sorry for Welbeck, his willingness to work for the team has worked against him at both clubs as he often gets played wide where he will do defensive work.

His goals to game ratio looks bad as a result, yeah he misses chances but no more than Giroud IMO, he's a back up squad player and nothing more, problem here is, so is Giroud.

Welbeck has done well for England as a striker though, he just lacks consistency at club level.

Send him to Chelsea as part of any Cech deal.

markyp

Post by markyp »

Welbeck given a proper run as in 20 games up front with no pressure would start to score regularly,as regularly as Giroud im sure of that,people here expect strikers to come in for one or a handfull of games and start banging them in for fun from the off,Henry was a slow starter,what if hed not been French and Wenker had not given him a chance,he'd have been bombed within a few games.i think the best example is Sturridge,he was used as a bit part striker at both city and the chavs,lands at Liverpool with no pressure and a good run of games and BOOM,Welbeck would do the same,but yes do need a world class striker for sure as well

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

But he had a long run after he signed and Giroud was injured, it just never happened for him.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Think Sturridge showed some promise at Chelsea just did not get a chance,

As for Wellbeck the bottom line is you won't challenge for the title with him up front, good team player he may be

This is not a charity if they aint good enough and he isn't can only be a squad player in reality

We need TOP quality up front not Giroud or Wellbeck you will have years of misery with those two up front, missed chances, disappointing games seen it all before, many times

Wenger is not a million miles from a team to really challenge on all fronts, but needs the right signings, will he get them....you know the answer, nothing would make me happier to be wrong

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

augie wrote:
I Hate Hleb wrote:
augie wrote:
I Hate Hleb wrote:Welbeck will come good. Just you mark my words!!

Depends on how you quantify that hlebby doesn't it ? In my opinion he will never be a top quality striker and I cant ever see him justifying the £17m price tag - I never rated the guy when he was at manure and used to always refer to him as wellshit, but I'm no longer allowed to refer to him that way :roll: He seems a nice guy and seems willing to work for the team (more than wally for example) so I don't like slating him, but in my opinion he isn't good enough to be any better than a squad player at the big clubs
And that is precisely what he is augie - a good squad player that can offer you options in a number of positions up top. Much as we fans might desire it, it is practically impossible to have a 25 man squad packed full of top quality stars. There will and should always be places for some youngsters and not quite there players to grow and become the finished article.
Do you think then that he represents value for money at £17m ? Personally I feel that 17m should bring a player that is good enough for the first 11 even if he isnt top quality, and like I already said, wellbeck isnt good enough to be first choice imo.
It's too early to tell at the moment and to say it does would be as stupid as saying it doesn't. Anyway who is the actual arbitor of what is considered ''value'? Welbeck has had one season, in which for the majority of it he was played wide or was on the bench. Let's at least give it some time before we totally write him off as a shite signing and waste of money.

markyp

Post by markyp »

Gunnersaurus wrote:But he had a long run after he signed and Giroud was injured, it just never happened for him.
wasn't a great run and he was under pressure to overperform to stop giroud walking straight back in.i think if id had 2 season unchallenged as grioud did id have scored as many as him :shock:

augie

Post by augie »

For me comparing wellbeck to giroud suggests an underlying realisation that wellbeck isn't good enough, but an inability to admit publicly that he isn't good enough - giroud isn't good enough (and wouldn't be in most international squads) so the very least we should expect is a striker twice as good as him :roll: Personally I would start him ahead of giroud every day of the week and twice on a sunday, because he gives us the type of pace and movement we need up top, but I still wouldn't put any money on him scoring those chances that can make the difference between success and failure.

Re the theory of giving the guy more time, can I ask for what reason should he be given more time ? He is not new to the country, knows the league inside out and has no problems with the language, so is it that he needs to acclimatise to ? :? Rigsby rightly pointed out that the guy is an experienced international and has won many trophies in this country, so how the fcuk can he need more time ? We are not talking about a young anelka or henry who were new to the country and to the league, so comparing the situations is folly imo.

Can I just say again that I do like the lad and I really like his attitude and want him to be a huge success for us, but that doesn't mean that I am blinded to his weaknesses or that I wont refer to them because he plays for us

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

I Hate Hleb wrote:Welbeck will come good. Just you mark my words!!
Yes but it will be all over Giroud's face when he finally does... :lol:

burns718

Post by burns718 »

He's a million times better than Walcott though, and having him up top would allow ozil and santi to thread those balls into space for a mobile striker. I think we would have had similar results had he played those last two games instead of wally ***** touch!

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

burns718 wrote:He's a million times better than Walcott though, and having him up top would allow ozil and santi to thread those balls into space for a mobile striker. I think we would have had similar results had he played those last two games instead of wally ***** touch!
you really think welbeck is a million times better than walcott? really? I'd say its a pretty even contest :?:

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

Gunnersaurus makes good points on Welbeck. Overall though, I'd also be looking to get rid of him this window. On £100k a week he is a criminal waste of money, in the Podolski realm of "waste of cash". Question: what IS Welbz? He was at ManYoo for years and was never trusted up front. He's an abysmal finisher and needs too many chances to convert. He's not clinical - so hence why he was shunted out wide at Manure. Yet he's rocked up to Arsenal, where there's a donkey up top and he STILL can't get a start at number 9! :shock:
Seriously wasn't the clue that LVG let us have him for just £17m?
But surely there are better wide players around? Welbeck has an appalling first touch 70% of the time, overruns the ball and doesn't really know how to cross a ball - there are better wingers around who'd cost less than 17m!
Welbz is a nice lad but sorry yes nowhere near "good value". Wiltord and Kanu were both superior squad players IMO.
Here and now as back up strikers, Ulloa of Leicester seems superior, Charlie Austin wouldn't miss as many, and even Berahino of WBA seems a superior squad player. None of those would command £100k a week wages either :shock:
Welbz isn't a kid starting out, he's experienced and there's no real excuse for not outscoring Chris Smalling, a centre back FFS, over a season. None whatsoever. It's shocking.

There's another point in there somewhere about how ridiculous it is that Austin and Berahino have outscored/matched our "first choice" striker, but suppose that's another debate altogether :lol:

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

markyp wrote:Welbeck given a proper run as in 20 games up front with no pressure would start to score regularly,as regularly as Giroud im sure of that,people here expect strikers to come in for one or a handfull of games and start banging them in for fun from the off,Henry was a slow starter,what if hed not been French and Wenker had not given him a chance,he'd have been bombed within a few games.i think the best example is Sturridge,he was used as a bit part striker at both city and the chavs,lands at Liverpool with no pressure and a good run of games and BOOM,Welbeck would do the same,but yes do need a world class striker for sure as well
So, a £100k a week striker should be free to play "without pressure"? At a club that allegedly aspires to win the biggest prizes?
:shock:

Dodgyknee71

Post by Dodgyknee71 »

More pressing matters .... Did I hear right? Maureen won't let Czech join unless we give them a homegrown player, The ox.....

:rubchin: would he?