The 2015 Transfer Rumours Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: The 2015 Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by augie »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:
g88ner wrote:I know there's plenty on here who desperately want Jackson Martinez here... but why was he an unused sub against Brazil? - is he injured or not good enough?

He was mostly a sub in the world cup too even though Falcao wasn't there.

Falcao has now walked into the side again and our man Martinez is nowhere to be seen :shock:

Then you look at a club career in Colombia, Mexico and Portugal.

Are people sure he's really that good? :?
Apparently Giroud is good enough for us to be number 1 striker but why is he only third choice striker for France? :rubchin:
Koscielny (who I rate) is a sun for France too. Gibbs is the third choice England left back. Mertesacker 4th choice CB for Germany. Coquelin won't start a game for France for a long time yet! Welbeck reserve England striker - yet all first choices for Arsenal? :shock:
Martinez isn't Aguero, but is he way better than Giroud? Hell yes!

Christ that doesn't make good reading when you put it like that :oops: :oops: :oops:

augie

Post by augie »

:rubchin: :rubchin: :oops: :oops:

kiwomya

Post by kiwomya »

augie wrote:
Ikechukwu1 wrote:
g88ner wrote:I know there's plenty on here who desperately want Jackson Martinez here... but why was he an unused sub against Brazil? - is he injured or not good enough?

Falcao has now walked into the side again and our man Martinez is nowhere to be seen :shock:

Apparently Giroud is good enough for us to be number 1 striker but why is he only third choice striker for France? :rubchin:
Koscielny (who I rate) is a sun for France too. Gibbs is the third choice England left back. Mertesacker 4th choice CB for Germany. Coquelin won't start a game for France for a long time yet! Welbeck reserve England striker - yet all first choices for Arsenal? :shock:

Christ that doesn't make good reading when you put it like that :oops: :oops: :oops:
Mertesacker retired from international football nearly a year ago. He was never 4th choice for the Germans.

augie

Post by augie »

kiwomya wrote:
augie wrote:
Ikechukwu1 wrote:

Mertesacker retired from international football nearly a year ago. He was never 4th choice for the Germans.

But, and I say this as a BFG fan, we cannot ignore the fact that the germans did axe him when it got down to the business end of the world cup

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:

Then that's fine. I hope you're right. We need a significant upgrade, so I'm hoping we sign one!

I think it's fine to say Giroud is 2nd/3rd choice for France and all that, but it needs context as it's obviously fair enough to be behind Benzema as he's a better player and one most would sign in a heartbeat as he's an obvious upgrade.

But is Martinez is that same situation?

I'm certainly not slating the guy; I'm just voicing my concern that Martinez didn't play much in the World Cup or Copa America. Perhaps the guys keeping him on the bench (Falcao, Bacca and Teo?) are better still? - if so, perhaps sign Teo or Bacca instead?

I've no idea who is available though. Benzema would be good but if Martinez is the man to raise our level then lets get it done quick :barscarf:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I'm finding it quite comical to see the chavs and city frantically rushing about trying to sign players that qualify as home grown. Both linked with Alex Mong (fuck knows how he qualifies as home grown, but he does) now :lol:

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

g88ner wrote:
Ikechukwu1 wrote:

Then that's fine. I hope you're right. We need a significant upgrade, so I'm hoping we sign one!

I think it's fine to say Giroud is 2nd/3rd choice for France and all that, but it needs context as it's obviously fair enough to be behind Benzema as he's a better player and one most would sign in a heartbeat as he's an obvious upgrade.

I'm certainly not slating the guy; I'm just voicing my concern that Martinez didn't play much in the World Cup or Copa America. Perhaps the guys keeping him on the bench (Falcao, Bacca and Teo?) are better still? - if so, perhaps sign Teo or Bacca instead?

I've no idea who is available though. Benzema would be good but if Martinez is the man to raise our level then lets get it done quick :barscarf:
Giroud is also behind Laccazette in the pecking order so let's not rewrite history here pls. Lacazette is a new kid on the block, younger than Giroud, but Deschamps rates him and selects him before Giroud each time he can....
Personally I think we shoulda gone for Diego Costa or Lewandowski last year. Big error not doing so. Benzema is gettable but that's a £40m outlay minimum...

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:
g88ner wrote:
Ikechukwu1 wrote:

Giroud is also behind Laccazette in the pecking order so let's not rewrite history here pls. Lacazette is a new kid on the block, younger than Giroud, but Deschamps rates him and selects him before Giroud each time he can....
Personally I think we shoulda gone for Diego Costa or Lewandowski last year. Big error not doing so. Benzema is gettable but that's a £40m outlay minimum...
I'm not rewriting history - I simply didn't mention Lacazette because I've never seen him play. My knowledge of European football is limited these days.

Anyway, you're focussing on the wrong bit - we both agree that we need an upgrade of Giroud.

My point is that Giroud might be 3rd choice, but that's probably because there's genuinely better players ahead of him. If that's also the case of Martinez, then shouldn't we be concerned that he's struggling to get a game for Colombia ahead of Teo, Bacca and a woefully out of form Falcao?

If that doesn't concern you then fine. You know far more about Martinez than me, so time will tell and (if we do sign him) I hope he's what we need.

Anyway, it's probably academic. We'll probably start the season with Sanogo in attack :oops: :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

With Lauren saying this in his Twitter

https://twitter.com/Lauren12arsenal/sta ... 9276511232

It speaks volumes that he (among other ex-players) - have known like us that the GK position has been a great weakness in iour team since Seaman left - though the Crazy kraut was the best of a bad bunch.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:With Lauren saying this in his Twitter

It speaks volumes that he (among other ex-players) - have known like us that the GK position has been a great weakness in iour team since Seaman left - though the Crazy kraut was the best of a bad bunch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxbmiAcOxLchttps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcVHJ7jfXw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO7ulM6DHXE

And a compilation to round it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6odhj-JlULw

I don't think you can call a keeper who saved a pen in the CL semi, kept manure out for 120 minutes (sometimes with his face!) and made vital saves in the pen shootout "the best of a bad bunch".

And this was arguably when he had passed his peak.

Cech is top draw mind, I don't buy all this he hasn't been the same since his head injury bullshit.

burns718

Post by burns718 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:With Lauren saying this in his Twitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxbmiAcOxLchttps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcVHJ7jfXw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO7ulM6DHXE

And a compilation to round it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6odhj-JlULw

I don't think you can call a keeper who saved a pen in the CL semi, kept manure out for 120 minutes (sometimes with his face!) and made vital saves in the pen shootout "the best of a bad bunch".

And this was arguably when he had passed his peak.

Cech is top draw mind, I don't buy all this he hasn't been the same since his head injury bullshit.

In my opinion Jens was a fantastic goalkeeper, not just for his shot stopping but his desire to win and I think was a very very influential player in that unbeaten side!

augie

Post by augie »

I'd take jens as our keeper ahead of anything we currently have in the club and ahead of most of the first choice keepers at the other clubs - the man was somewhat unfairly viewed as a loose cannon and/or a liability, but that totally ignored the fact that he was a very good keeper and a never say die and true leader of men despite the fact that we had several strong characters in the club at the time 8)

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

augie wrote:... but that totally ignored the fact that he was a very good keeper and a never say die and true leader of men despite the fact that we had several strong characters in the club at the time 8)
Hate that phrase, mate.

:twisted: :D

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Ok time for some misplaced optimism in this thread, AW has had a recent change of heart and is actually going to demand that the club buy the goalkeeper, CDM and striker we need and just for kicks he's going to buy us a quality CB too :barscarf:

Mark my words we'll all be happy at the start of the season :D

Or clinically depressed for another season

augie

Post by augie »

Does anybody else Schweinsteiger would be worth a punt at £7.5m ? I suggested that he would be a great signing earlier in this thread but was shot done on the basis that he wouldn't be available, but by all accounts he is close to signing for manure and I would think that he would bring leadership, real grit and aggression to our team 8)