BRIGHTON AWAY - FA Cup 4th Round

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
RVP2

Re: BRIGHTON AWAY - FA Cup 4th Round

Post by RVP2 »

Pleasantly pleased that our fans (on the whole) avoided any pathetic homophic songs (I had expected a lot of 'does your boyfriend know you're here' cr@p). I think I heard it once and it only came from 5-10 people and didn't get close to taking off.

Well done for growing up everyone.

augie

Post by augie »

RVP2 wrote:Pleasantly pleased that our fans (on the whole) avoided any pathetic homophic songs (I had expected a lot of 'does your boyfriend know you're here' cr@p). I think I heard it once and it only came from 5-10 people and didn't get close to taking off.

Stop for ffs man - please try and distinguish between homophobic and pisstaking because your qualification of homophobic is way way off :roll:

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

remigardeshair wrote:
On the way home I was chatting to an old fella on the park and ride bus who was an Arsenal fan but ST holder at Brighton and it struck me that it might be oldgitgooner, if it was, ummm, hello.
Wasn't me mate. Loads of Gooners live in the Brighton area. And season tickets are cheap as chips. And they let you pay monthly. It works out to about a tenner a week. And there's no waiting list.

Enjoyed the game. But it was weird not celebrating the goals from either team. Didn't want to upset my Brighton mates I always sit with. They all complimented the Arsenal after the game. :barscarf: 8)

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

remigardeshair wrote:On the way home I was chatting to an old fella on the park and ride bus who was an Arsenal fan but ST holder at Brighton and it struck me that it might be oldgitgooner, if it was, ummm, hello.
Just curious, why didnt you ask him if he was old git Gooner :wink: :D

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

TheCook wrote:Usual bullshit on here today ; each time we win the fans turn on each other, as the heat is temporarily off the manager and team. Fuck this shit. Fuck it.

Can't we all just get along?
Usmanov must be to blame I reckon...

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:Few pints in me,but seriously have never seen such childish posting in a long time,neither of you remotely funny ,actually quite boring ,I have 1 of you on ignore but now adding another.
Thank the fuck for that - AT LAST!

All you have to do now is wait for some poor sod on here to lose both their job and home - Then you can take the piss out of them.....Yeah Real Classy!.

Swifty

Post by Swifty »

Rosicky has excelled almost every time he's a decent run of late. Big fan. And seems a top bloke and good club man. eom

RVP2

Post by RVP2 »

augie wrote:
RVP2 wrote:Pleasantly pleased that our fans (on the whole) avoided any pathetic homophic songs (I had expected a lot of 'does your boyfriend know you're here' cr@p). I think I heard it once and it only came from 5-10 people and didn't get close to taking off.

Stop for ffs man - please try and distinguish between homophobic and pisstaking because your qualification of homophobic is way way off :roll:
How can you say that? The whole point of that particular song is to take the p1ss of Brighton for having a higher than average gay population. That is homophobic. It's 2015; grow up.

augie

Post by augie »

RVP2 wrote:
augie wrote:

How can you say that? The whole point of that particular song is to take the p1ss of Brighton for having a higher than average gay population. That is homophobic. It's 2015; grow up.

By your own admission it is only a piss take - homophobic suggests anti gays abuse and that "song" clearly doesn't do that. When we play the scousers and we sing "does the social know you are here", does that equate to abuse ? When English teams face welsh opponents, does singing about their "close relationship" with sheep ( :wink: ) constitute as racism ?
There is more than enough actual abusive chants that need to be stopped without you getting your panties in a knot over something as trivial as the song in which you refer :roll:

Nuggets

Post by Nuggets »

Swifty wrote:Rosicky has excelled almost every time he's a decent run of late. Big fan. And seems a top bloke and good club man. eom
Long may his new found form continue. :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Swifty wrote:Rosicky has excelled almost every time he's a decent run of late. Big fan. And seems a top bloke and good club man. eom

I know it's all if's but's and maybe's - But it makes one wonder what might have happened had he not had such a long spell out with the injuries.

he is very much a "Classy" player - a pundit referred to him a a "Rolls Royce" player which he is...He reads the game incredibly well and many of his goals are "Quality".

Super Super Super Tom! :barscarf:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

augie wrote:
RVP2 wrote:
augie wrote:

By your own admission it is only a piss take - homophobic suggests anti gays abuse and that "song" clearly doesn't do that. When we play the scousers and we sing "does the social know you are here", does that equate to abuse ? When English teams face welsh opponents, does singing about their "close relationship" with sheep ( :wink: ) constitute as racism ?
There is more than enough actual abusive chants that need to be stopped without you getting your panties in a knot over something as trivial as the song in which you refer :roll:

By definition, homosexual men have boyfriends. How does referring to that constitute abuse?
Gay men frequently refer to gay stereotypes (liking Judy Garland, being well-groomed etc).
It is possible to refer to something without discriminating against it.

As the great Tim Minchin said; it is the context and intention not just the Word. Fuck may or may not be offensive. 'Finger' is not in and of itself offensive. However, if I state that I want to finger your mum, you may consider it rude.

Plenty of people are keen to find abuse anywhere they can. Benedict Cumberbatch has discovered that 'black' and 'coloured' are offensive. Who knew?

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Is his contract due for renewal? :lol:

He had a very good game. But for 9 years at the club it'll go down as a waste - for many reasons.

RVP2

Post by RVP2 »

GranadaJoe wrote:
augie wrote:
RVP2 wrote:
augie wrote:

By definition, homosexual men have boyfriends. How does referring to that constitute abuse?
Gay men frequently refer to gay stereotypes (liking Judy Garland, being well-groomed etc).

As the great Tim Minchin said; it is the context and intention not just the Word. Fuck may or may not be offensive. 'Finger' is not in and of itself offensive. However, if I state that I want to finger your mum, you may consider it rude.

Plenty of people are keen to find abuse anywhere they can. Benedict Cumberbatch has discovered that 'black' and 'coloured' are offensive. Who knew?
I never said it was 'abuse'.

Look, the simple fact is I like supporting a team who have a bit of class (or at least are supposed to). People taking the p1ss of the unemployed (pretty outdated Liverpool stereotype), sheet sh@gging (boring Welsh stereotype) or gay (Brighton stereotpye) have no class. I go to support the team, couldn't care less about the opposition.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

GranadaJoe wrote:
augie wrote:
RVP2 wrote:
augie wrote:

As the great Tim Minchin said; it is the context and intention not just the Word. Fuck may or may not be offensive. 'Finger' is not in and of itself offensive. However, if I state that I want to finger your dad, you may consider it rude.