Jack Wilshere

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonersid

Jack Wilshere

Post by goonersid »

Has to be!
Never seen him control a game or turn a game around in our favour, a creation of the British media.
Unpalatable as it may be, he couldn't lace the boots of Stevie G or fat Frank.
Runs around a lot giving the ball away to polite applause for his efforts, I just don't get our fans perception that he is anything other than plain average. We are a selling club, so if he was any good surely someone would have shown an interest in him, and Wenger would be only to pleased to listen to offers.
All seriousness, this isn't a wind up, I just don't see how anyone can rate this guy as special.

Swifty

Re: Jack Wilshire the most over rated player in English foot

Post by Swifty »

Couldn't agree more.

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

He was well off the pace yesterday and also he's really thick, he sounds like a punch drunk boxer!

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Nonsense. How about Rooney? Last time he delivered anything decent in an England shirt was at Euro 2004. No doubt (if we make it) he'll be built up to be our "world class player" and "matchwinner" for next year's World Cup and go on to deliver the same impact he's had at every international tournament since 2004 i.e. absolutely fucking none

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

SteveO 35 wrote:Nonsense. How about Rooney? Last time he delivered anything decent in an England shirt was at Euro 2004. No doubt (if we make it) he'll be built up to be our "world class player" and "matchwinner" for next year's World Cup and go on to deliver the same impact he's had at every international tournament since 2004 i.e. absolutely fucking none
I couldn't give a fuck about what either of them do for England, I take it you are gloating about his performance in a friendly against Brazil.
He was shite yesterday just as he was all last season, Rooney came on as sub for utd and set up 2 goals, to compare the 2 in the same breath is nonsense, but coming from someone who thinks Diaby is a good player I rest my case :wink:

afcforever

Post by afcforever »

Jack is different class, cant believe anyone could say different.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

afcforever wrote:Jack is different class, cant believe anyone could say different.
Explain and give examples where he showed "class"

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Understand and to an extent agree with the general theme (just about every Sky pundit listed him as their 'one to watch' from all clubs this season and I've seen some describe him as world class) but plain average is well wide of the mark imo.

The likes of Lampard and Gerrard were hardly world class players at 21 - and Wilshere missed a whole season through injury. Hopefully he'll have a breakthrough season with goalscoring like Fabregas did in 2007/08 but it's not unreasonable to expect considerable improvements in the next few years.

Also without wishing to turn this into an anti-Wenger thread (yet :lol: ) we're not going to see the best of him whilst he's constantly plugging away in congested midfields with no movement in front of him. In my view his real asset is his ability to skip past players and create holes/space and if he was to play in a 4-4-2 with two strikers who could exploit that and give him an option to slip them in he'd be far better for it. As it is Wenger doesn't know how to get the best out of him and his tactical role is just to be lively and energetic so although he's a good player he doesn't really deliver that much attacking or defensively.

Swifty

Post by Swifty »

afcforever wrote:Jack is different class, cant believe anyone could say different.
He is an angry immature any that stifles creativity and can't control himself.

afcforever

Post by afcforever »

goonersid wrote:
He shows class every time hes on the pitch.
Never had a great game yesterday, but wasn't poor.
England will build the team around him.

augie

Post by augie »

Sid we agree about most things but I cannot agree with you re wilshere - he's not top quality but injuries permitting he could well get there and is the most important midfielder we have at the mo and yes I include cazorla in that. If the bollocks in charge bought a strong defensive midfielder to play alongside him then we would see a much more influencial player but our midfielders are not built to win the ball back and protect the back 4 so they are being asked to sacrifice some of what their natural game is

Swifty

Post by Swifty »

northbank123 wrote:Understand and to an extent agree with the general theme (just about every Sky pundit listed him as their 'one to watch' from all clubs this season and I've seen some describe him as world class) but plain average is well wide of the mark imo.

The likes of Lampard and Gerrard were hardly world class players at 21 - and Wilshere missed a whole season through injury. Hopefully he'll have a breakthrough season with goalscoring like Fabregas did in 2007/08 but it's not unreasonable to expect considerable improvements in the next few years.

Also without wishing to turn this into an anti-Wenger thread (yet :lol: ) we're not going to see the best of him whilst he's constantly plugging away in congested midfields with no movement in front of him. In my view his real asset is his ability to skip past players and create holes/space and if he was to play in a 4-4-2 with two strikers who could exploit that and give him an option to slip them in he'd be far better for it. As it is Wenger doesn't know how to get the best out of him and his tactical role is just to be lively and energetic so although he's a good player he doesn't really deliver that much attacking or defensively.
He skips past the first two but then wants to take on 3,4 and 5.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

goonersid wrote:
His ONE league goal in SEVENTY appearances surely makes him world class sid

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

He's been injured for a year, and is clearly feeling his way back.

He had a stinker on Saturday and was useless during our run in last season, but considering the length of time he's had out at such a crucial point in his career, it's hardly surprising his development has taken a knock.

I rated him highly before his injury and accept it'll take him time to find his feet again. Assessing him now is pointless. It may takes months before he's back on track, and that's assuming he doesn't pick up another serious injury.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Still recovering from injury, clearly not 100% match fit so yesterday's below par performance is hardly an indicator of his career so far or future prospects.
He is only 21.

Has shown very good passing, vision and determination in the tackle on numerous occasions.
His temperament is suspect but that often can be the case in players who have a strong will to win, which he does.

"Arsenal got 99 problems, but Jack ain't one."