The Orcs at home

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nut flush gooner

Re: The Orcs at home

Post by nut flush gooner »

northbank123 wrote:
Nos89 wrote:Can't believe the criticism...thought this was the easiest match against stoke I've ever seen. Butland made a few great saves, assisted by some wasteful finishing.Sanchez and Theo both shouldve got hattricks in 1st half. Watched Ozil closely in first half and he never stopped moving, always finding space. Silly yellow card. Coquelin was outstanding, why are there even questions over his quality? Stopped stoke, played it simple and was effective. Carzola was average as was Ramsey. Simply, drop ssnti, move Ramsey to the middlr, play Ozil in his best positon. An easy victory. Anyone, notice the difference Gabriel made?
Did Gabriel have a good game? Would be nice for him to get a run, think Per is finished.

People will have a moan whatever, had we beaten them 6-0 people would complain that we are flat track bullies and that all is now perfect in Wengerland.

For me the pertinent point is that both of our mega-bucks strikers yet again missed a hatful of chances, as they have done so far and as they will do all season. That's not going to change.

YOU DONT WIN TITLES WITH STRIKERS LIKE GIROUD AND WALCOTT.
Gabriel is a very good reliable defender. He already has a good understanding with Kos.

I am not sure what is wrong with BFG but surely he cannot be considered first choice CB from now on.

As others have said, if Ramsey is going to be played wide, I would rather have the ox in that position.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
northbank123 wrote:
Nos89 wrote:Can't believe the criticism...thought this was the easiest match against stoke I've ever seen. Butland made a few great saves, assisted by some wasteful finishing.Sanchez and Theo both shouldve got hattricks in 1st half. Watched Ozil closely in first half and he never stopped moving, always finding space. Silly yellow card. Coquelin was outstanding, why are there even questions over his quality? Stopped stoke, played it simple and was effective. Carzola was average as was Ramsey. Simply, drop ssnti, move Ramsey to the middlr, play Ozil in his best positon. An easy victory. Anyone, notice the difference Gabriel made?
Did Gabriel have a good game? Would be nice for him to get a run, think Per is finished.

People will have a moan whatever, had we beaten them 6-0 people would complain that we are flat track bullies and that all is now perfect in Wengerland.

For me the pertinent point is that both of our mega-bucks strikers yet again missed a hatful of chances, as they have done so far and as they will do all season. That's not going to change.

Gabriel is a very good reliable defender. He already has a good understanding with Kos.

I am not sure what is wrong with BFG but surely he cannot be considered first choice CB from now on.

As others have said, if Ramsey is going to be played wide, I would rather have the ox in that position.
Just startling how he can continue playing Ramsey out there. At the moment I don't think Ramsey starts on merit anywhere, but certainly not out wide where he has never been effective. Makes us completely toothless down that side and it's utterly baffling. The reality is that he is now one of Wenger's favourites and will be shoe-horned into the side accordingly.

Forget the media wankathon over players like Ross Barkley, Chris Smalling, Raheem Sterling etc. Chamberlain is the real deal. Strong, fit, fast, can beat a player on either side, direct, two great feet and has an eye for goal. Forget the fact that he has unbelievable potential, he is a great player now for us and should be starting for that reason alone. He should be starting just about every week because it's what's best for him and the team. It will be criminal if he keeps falling in and out of favour and inexplicably spending games on end on the bench. We have a real gem on our hands and there's a danger Wenger will have him treading water and no better a player in 3 or 4 years time.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

markyp wrote:as woeful as Walnuts finishing was yesterday im not sure how many of you watched match of the day but a surprising stat was that he has scored 11 in 11 premier league starts,not bad for someone that a lot of people here think is shit
Any striker worthy of the name should be banging in 30 goals a season at arsenal considering all the chances we create. He misses too many relatively simple chances that would be bread and butter for any top class finisher. 11 in 11 starts is not to be sniffed at to be fair but I'd like to see his shots to goals ratio to back up that stat. In a tight game where he may only get one decent half chance would you expect him to bury it? I wouldn't.

sta.gooner

Post by sta.gooner »

Solid performance.

30 shots, 2 goals, so inefficient. Theo had 4/5 golden chances including his goal, when Giroud came on he missed an absolute sitter. The pair of them had 8 chances they HAVE to score if we want to get anywhere near the title. 2-0 didn't do our performance justice.

Gabriel and Kos looks like our best Centre Back partnership, had no problems with what is now a decent Stoke attacking threat. Bellerin and Coq were fantastic again.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

rodders999 wrote:
markyp wrote:as woeful as Walnuts finishing was yesterday im not sure how many of you watched match of the day but a surprising stat was that he has scored 11 in 11 premier league starts,not bad for someone that a lot of people here think is shit
Any striker worthy of the name should be banging in 30 goals a season at arsenal considering all the chances we create. He misses too many relatively simple chances that would be bread and butter for any top class finisher. 11 in 11 starts is not to be sniffed at to be fair but I'd like to see his shots to goals ratio to back up that stat. In a tight game where he may only get one decent half chance would you expect him to bury it? I wouldn't.
There's plenty I don't like about Theo's game, but if you put to one side his inability to play with his back to goal and infuriating misses, shanks and ability to disappear in games, his record of scoring goals and getting chances is pretty good when he's fit.

I think he could become a decent goalscorer once he gets into his rhythm and if he can stay fit . Not Aguero, RVP or Costa class (which is obviously what we need) but I think there's a lot of goalscoring potential in Theo to tap into.

I'm well aware he doesn't suit the lone striker role. We all know that but, like it or not, it looks like he's going to get his chance to play there. Good luck to him; we need him to succeed.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

g88ner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:yet again Wenger gets lucky.
Seriously? :? :?

We dominated and should have scored 10.

I know people don't like Wenger, but how can anyone watch that game and think we were lucky. We played well; the missing ingredient was putting it in the net, but that was shoddy finishing not chance creation.

And Stoke? did they do anything all game?

Well deserved win regardless of what people think of Wenger.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

kiwomya

Post by kiwomya »

northbank123 wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
northbank123 wrote:

Just startling how he can continue playing Ramsey out there. At the moment I don't think Ramsey starts on merit anywhere, but certainly not out wide where he has never been effective. Makes us completely toothless down that side and it's utterly baffling. The reality is that he is now one of Wenger's favourites and will be shoe-horned into the side accordingly.

Forget the media wankathon over players like Ross Barkley, Chris Smalling, Raheem Sterling etc. Chamberlain is the real deal. Strong, fit, fast, can beat a player on either side, direct, two great feet and has an eye for goal. Forget the fact that he has unbelievable potential, he is a great player now for us and should be starting for that reason alone. He should be starting just about every week because it's what's best for him and the team. It will be criminal if he keeps falling in and out of favour and inexplicably spending games on end on the bench. We have a real gem on our hands and there's a danger Wenger will have him treading water and no better a player in 3 or 4 years time.
I reckon there are concerns about Chamberlains defending and only having Bellerin sitting behind him. Ramsey obviously digs pretty deep and I think that's partly why he's selected. I think he's going to be a great player (Ox) if they can work out how best to use him. The Monaco game where he pulled a goal back then stupidly lost possession and cost us another sums him up a bit.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

donaldo71 wrote:Lets all laugh as chance after chance is missed.We did get away with it yesterday because Stoke were so poor.But thats no excuse for not hammering our two "strikers".Walcott has missed 6 sitters in the last 2 games Yes we won but don't bury you head in the sand about how poor Walcott was
I do & all I get is some Theo lover hammering me for mentioning the fact !! But how would I know - I'm an old fart. The goal he did get he took OK but you would expect that with a one on one with the keeper & with his pace to get onto the through ball. Nice through ball from Ozil. With our tippy tappy build up he doesn't get that kind of service very often. Maybe when we're on the back foot a little more he could be useful on the break. Against Chel$ki ??. Only AW knows. :barscarf: :barscarf:

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

rodders999 wrote:
:D :D

markyp

Post by markyp »

Ray C wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
well Wrighty said give him a prorper run and he will do it,but what the fuck does Ian Wright know compared to us experts here? :shock:

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

markyp wrote:
Ray C wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
well Wrighty said give him a prorper run and he will do it,but what the fuck does Ian Wright know compared to us experts here? :shock:
ian wright "writes" for the sun.

do go on though :shock: :roll: :wink:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

kiwomya wrote:
northbank123 wrote:Just startling how he can continue playing Ramsey out there. At the moment I don't think Ramsey starts on merit anywhere, but certainly not out wide where he has never been effective. Makes us completely toothless down that side and it's utterly baffling. The reality is that he is now one of Wenger's favourites and will be shoe-horned into the side accordingly.

I reckon there are concerns about Chamberlains defending and only having Bellerin sitting behind him. Ramsey obviously digs pretty deep and I think that's partly why he's selected. I think he's going to be a great player (Ox) if they can work out how best to use him. The Monaco game where he pulled a goal back then stupidly lost possession and cost us another sums him up a bit.
At home against Stoke? I'm not saying throw our full-backs to the wolves (especially not against the better teams) but we seem to expect to much of our wingers defensively. We are only playing one up front so if we're playing negatively and shackling our wingers we're going to end up with no width and be much easier to nullify with sheer weight of numbers,

Playing the likes of Podolski, Ozil and Cazorla out wide and then complaining that they don't contribute enough defensively is laughable. The defensive aspect of a winger's game isn't particularly demanding technically - it's basically just about putting in a shift and reading the game. Chamberlain is fit, a hard worker and his reading of the game will come with time if it isn't there now. He is enthusiastic and committed so if he isn't doing enough defensively he's obviously not getting enough training on it.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
markyp wrote:
Ray C wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
ian wright "writes" for the sun.

do go on though :shock: :roll: :wink:

Yea cos writing for the Sun completely wipes out his experience on scoring goals. :wink:

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

If being a great player means you are a great pundit, then how do you explain the bullshit Henry comes out with?

LaughingGooner

Post by LaughingGooner »

Excellent win, many plus points.
We're in good shape for a really important week.