1965/66 Season

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
JMascis666

1965/66 Season

Post by JMascis666 »

I am researching the 1965/66 season and wondered if anybody had any memories / stories no matter how small on that season?

Just for a memory jogger Arsenal had a poor season in what happened to be Billy Wright's last as manager with Joe Baker and George Eastham leaving the club and Don Howe breaking his leg never to play again (i think).

But it also saw the emergence of some of the players who would go on to feature heavily in the Inter City Fairs Cup Winners side of 1970 and the double winners a year later. Sammels, Simpson, Storey, Radford etc.

It was also at the end of this season that Muhammed Ali beat Henry Cooper at Highbury.

DB10GOONER

Re: 1965/66 Season

Post by DB10GOONER »

I wasn't born yet but even I could see the fucking ball never fully crossed the line!! :banghead: :cussing:

:D :wink:

JMascis666

Post by JMascis666 »

DB10GOONER wrote:I wasn't born yet but even I could see the f*cking ball never fully crossed the line!! :banghead: :cussing:

:D :wink:
S*d the World Cup! I am more interested in Billy McCullough and Alan Skirton :D :D :D

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

the worst season in our modern history (at least post war) we were absolutely shite, our lowest ever attendance at home to leeds (about 4,000) in may was due to three things. liverpool were playing the CWC final live on telly that day, the weather was shit, and the fans were doing a protest against billy wright and decided to boycott the game. probably one of the first occasions of a mass boycott seen in this country.

it was with relief that wright got the boot, mee appointed manager the next season and things started to slowly take shape, the form improved, and we reached the league cup finals in 68 and 69 before turning our team into a bunch of winners in the following years :barscarf:

then mee sold kennedy and mclintock, and slowly destroyed the team, in familiar Arsenal style to every manager since :banghead:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:the worst season in our modern history (at least post war) we were absolutely shite, our lowest ever attendance at home to leeds (about 4,000) in may was due to three things. liverpool were playing the CWC final live on telly that day, the weather was shit, and the fans were doing a protest against billy wright and decided to boycott the game. probably one of the first occasions of a mass boycott seen in this country.

it was with relief that wright got the boot, mee appointed manager the next season and things started to slowly take shape, the form improved, and we reached the league cup finals in 68 and 69 before turning our team into a bunch of winners in the following years :barscarf:

then mee sold kennedy and mclintock, and slowly destroyed the team, in familiar Arsenal style to every manager since :banghead:
Yes McLintock sold too early, went to QPR and nearly won them the league, ended up runners up in the end

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:the worst season in our modern history (at least post war) we were absolutely shite, our lowest ever attendance at home to leeds (about 4,000) in may was due to three things. liverpool were playing the CWC final live on telly that day, the weather was shit, and the fans were doing a protest against billy wright and decided to boycott the game. probably one of the first occasions of a mass boycott seen in this country.

Think they lost that final..wonder who they blamed.. ??

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

JMascis666 wrote:I am researching the 1965/66 season
For an academic paper, a book, or because you are fed up with watching "Big Brother'?

beck

Post by beck »

Before my time of going but just had a little look
We were on match of the day 3 times that season
6-2 sheffield utd h
0-1 liverpool h
1-2 man utd a
All on you tube
Our home game with leeds was due to be on as well but it was called off by snow( this was rearranged for 26 days later the game where we had 4 and half thousand)
We were on itv in a 1-0 defeat at Newcastle shown by Tyne tees
And 3 atv london games a 1-0 defeat at fulham( there are pictures and a match report of this on the internet)
A2-1 defeat at west ham
And a 1-1 draw at home to sunderland ( I don't know if any film of theses games still exist

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

beck wrote:Before my time of going but just had a little look
We were on match of the day 3 times that season
6-2 sheffield utd h
0-1 liverpool h
1-2 man utd a
All on you tube
Our home game with leeds was due to be on as well but it was called off by snow( this was rearranged for 26 days later the game where we had 4 and half thousand)
We were on itv in a 1-0 defeat at Newcastle shown by Tyne tees
And 3 atv london games a 1-0 defeat at fulham( there are pictures and a match report of this on the internet)
A2-1 defeat at west ham
And a 1-1 draw at home to sunderland ( I don't know if any film of theses games still exist
:lol: :lol:

Beautiful.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

It was the year I saw my first Arsenal game (away to Wham I think), but, aged 5, I don't really remember very much, not even the score, but I remember feeling very small, a bit scared, but more and more excited as we got nearer the ground.

That should make for a great chapter in your book.

beck

Post by beck »

GranadaJoe wrote:It was the year I saw my first Arsenal game (away to Wham I think), but, aged 5, I don't really remember very much, not even the score, but I remember feeling very small, a bit scared, but more and more excited as we got nearer the ground.

That should make for a great chapter in your book.
As I said above mate the west ham away game was on atv london star soccer 2-15 pm on Sunday 17 th April 1966 ( the day after the game) we lost 2-1
Johnny Byrne penalty and peter braybrook for them
Tommy Baldwin scored for us it was 2-1 at half time
Baldwin was sold to chelsea in sept 66 for george graham plus 75,000

JMascis666

Post by JMascis666 »

When I saw that attendance against Leeds at Highbury I thought it was a misprint! Thanks for clearing that up.

markmark64

Post by markmark64 »

JMascis666 wrote:When I saw that attendance against Leeds at Highbury I thought it was a misprint! Thanks for clearing that up.

as Quartz said whats the plan

JMascis666

Post by JMascis666 »

QuartzGooner wrote:
JMascis666 wrote:I am researching the 1965/66 season
For an academic paper, a book, or because you are fed up with watching "Big Brother'?
The pure geek in me!

I could write a book, but other than some hardy Gooners I doubt I'd sell many!