Southampton home game thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Southampton home game thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

SPARKSY wrote:Can someone explain to me the straight swap of Coquelin for Flamini with less than 10 mins left when we needed a goal.
I haven't been in football for the last 30 years so I don't understand what the French bloke was doing :rubchin:
He had his Tactics Wenger hat on, mate. He was playing for the draw. At home. After us having 99.99% of possession. And all the shots. And their keeper making 87 saves. Tactics Wenger has to show the media that he can see out that last 10 to 15 minutes. It's what all the cool kids are doing.

:barscarf:

:suicide:

:wink:

foxinthebox2001

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

SPARKSY wrote:
Nos89 wrote:Just a question for anyone who went to the game...?
On SSN Phil Thompson summary was along the lines of Arsenal played well, had chances, best goalkeeping he's seen all season, cant believe we didn't win. A new striker wouldn't have made difference as Sanchez, ozil, giroud and Walcott all had chances saved. Koeman said it was a lucky point.

Were we awful, lacklustre, or good but unlucky??
We had plenty of clear cut chances that really should have been taken.............Walcott and Ozil in particular.
The performance was very lacklustre and there didn't appear to be much urgency. Cech had very very little to do which makes it all the harder to take that we didn't win.
We are not title winners though. We just don't have that swagger or fight about us. And momentum is definitely not with us.
Agree with above, but the consistant factor in our regularly dropping points is we always have problems with organized teams.
From the first whistle it was obvious Saints knew their game plan, and stuck to it.
When we do face these teams, there is another consistent factor, Wenger is not tactically astute enough to change anything.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Missed the entire debacle , we are in fourth place whats the problem ?

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Herd wrote:Missed the entire debacle , we are in fourth place whats the problem ?
There's something almost comforting about being back in 4th isn't there. It's Arsene's foetal position. :barscarf:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Herd wrote:Missed the entire debacle , we are in fourth place whats the problem ?
absolutely - sometimes it is worth looking at things from the perspective of Kroenke and Wenger.
from their point of view everything is going well again this season. Wenger has managed to get to the last 16 of the CL and is in the top 4 position already. In fact this season is going better than usual because due to other teams incapabilities we have actually managed to con the supporting sheep that we can actually compete for the league title this season. what a laugh and they didnt even question the non activity of the past 2 transfer windows :roll:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

ok I was there last night.

it was the first league match that I have attended this season due to apathy, friends who i usually go with apathy and just the knowledge that deep down we are not really very good.

without going into detail of the game I came away with 2 feelings
1) we are always going to struggle until we buy a top class striker - RVP has not been replaced and it is coming up to what 4 years now? there is not much point in having Sanchez and Ozil if there is no one who can get on the end of their crosses. we need a regular goal scorer, which we always used to have in the past. I am not just thinking Ian Wright, Thiery Henry. They were exceptional but what about an Alan Smith type goal poacher? when we won the league in 89 and 91 he was scoring a lot more regularly than Giroud is doing.
2) there is always this talk of Arsenal playing attractive football. the thing is the times I have gone these past 2 or 3 years I have been bored watching us. just a lot of passing around, not much end product. at least in the days of Cesc and RVP you knew that there would be a goal coming, nowadays you can just hope for the best.

I think possibly things are going to unravel at the club now, the last few years of decline are finally going to catch up with us.
by the end of the month the top 3 will be away and gone, and we best get used to our new end of season rivals, Manchester United and the team going completely under the radar - West Ham United

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

Gunner Rob wrote:ok I was there last night.

it was the first league match that I have attended this season due to apathy, friends who i usually go with apathy and just the knowledge that deep down we are not really very good.

1) we are always going to struggle until we buy a top class striker - RVP has not been replaced and it is coming up to what 4 years now? there is not much point in having Sanchez and Ozil if there is no one who can get on the end of their crosses. we need a regular goal scorer, which we always used to have in the past. I am not just thinking Ian Wright, Thiery Henry. They were exceptional but what about an Alan Smith type goal poacher? when we won the league in 89 and 91 he was scoring a lot more regularly than Giroud is doing.
2) there is always this talk of Arsenal playing attractive football. the thing is the times I have gone these past 2 or 3 years I have been bored watching us. just a lot of passing around, not much end product. at least in the days of Cesc and RVP you knew that there would be a goal coming, nowadays you can just hope for the best.

I think possibly things are going to unravel at the club now, the last few years of decline are finally going to catch up with us.
by the end of the month the top 3 will be away and gone, and we best get used to our new end of season rivals, Manchester United and the team going completely under the radar - West Ham United
It's only when it catches up with Wenger that we'll see any change. Get 4th spot and he's fine. Will it have to be top 3 next year?

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

If we win CL we don't have to finish 4th to qualify !! ?? :barscarf: :barscarf:

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

Ray C wrote:If we win CL we don't have to finish 4th to qualify !! ?? :barscarf: :barscarf:
I wish I could be so optimistic!!!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I know this has been pointed out before, but it is still relevant to the argument; Smudge played in a system with 2 strikers, mate. Smudge would have struggled like Giroud does in our current system as a lone striker.

I do agree we need a better striker than Giroud if we want to win the PL. But I also think if we played a better system than the shit 4-5-1 and had two strikers we would get better return out of Giroud.

foxinthebox2001

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Stems from defence DB, have a more reliable pairing and they wont require so much protection from the midfield.
Alternatively invest in one solid natural defensive midfielder.
Wenger is the king of internal solutions, and square pegs in round holes, and that will never change.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

DB10GOONER wrote:

I know this has been pointed out before, but it is still relevant to the argument; Smudge played in a system with 2 strikers, mate. Smudge would have struggled like Giroud does in our current system as a lone striker.

I do agree we need a better striker than Giroud if we want to win the PL. But I also think if we played a better system than the shit 4-5-1 and had two strikers we would get better return out of Giroud.
thats a good point - I have wondered why Wenger doesnt try Walcott and Giroud up front, but I suppose that would involve changing tactics which is beyond Wenger these days

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

DB10GOONER wrote:

thats a good point - I have wondered why Wenger doesnt try Walcott and Giroud up front, but I suppose that would involve changing tactics which is beyond Wenger these days

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:

I have said the same in the past, but it does not help when giroud keeps drifting out to the wings - for me it is like he is hiding away (either from the physical centre backs or from the responsibility/pressure of being the main striker) on the wings and it suggests a woeful lack of character in my eyes :roll: :oops:

postmanPat91

Post by postmanPat91 »

Anyone who honestly thought we had a shot at the league needs to be sectioned - our tactics, selection and transfer policy are all dogshite/non-existent, but what our players lack even moreso is the MENTALITY needed to be champions. Walcott, Ramsay, Giroud and co are a bunch of pampered, pacified, pussified twats who just haven't got the stones to be winners. We're back in our rightful 4th place - cue payrise for Wenger.

Vote with your fucking wallets - you're being taken for mugs :barscarf: