John Jensen - your memories

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
donaldo71

Re: John Jensen - your memories

Post by donaldo71 »

I love GG but Jensen was a terrible buy.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

donaldo71 wrote:I love GG but Jensen was a terrible buy.
Don't agree. If you look at some of the muck GG signed in his last couple years Jensen wasn't that bad.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Don't agree. If you look at some of the muck GG signed in his last couple years Jensen wasn't that bad.

Being slightly less shitty than the really shit players is no great recommendation. He tried hard but was a mediocre player.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Being slightly less shitty than the really shit players is no great recommendation. He tried hard but was a mediocre player.
That's what GG turned our midfield into. Also, never said he was great, said he was solid. He was.

markyp

Post by markyp »

a poor mans Andy Townsend,now that really is saying something,a total crock of shit,didnt have a creative bone in his body,any vision or goals,John Jensen,WHY?!!!

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

markyp wrote:a poor mans Andy Townsend,now that really is saying something,a total crock of shit,didnt have a creative bone in his body,any vision or goals,John Jensen,WHY?!!!

and he had a shit hair style....

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:

Yes GG loved these sort of players...David Hillier, Ian Selley....strange because in his playing days he was totally the opposite

He had flair, vision and good technique, AKA stroller...he was a good player

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Redarmy wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Yes GG loved these sort of players...David Hillier, Ian Selley....strange because in his playing days he was totally the opposite

Next season will be my fiftieth supporting the Gunners and while the period when I regularly went to games was topped and tailed by the 79 cup win and the two cups in 93, it is my curse that the bulk of my Saturdays were taken up watching Hillier, Morrow, Selley, Hayes, Priceetc. Brady, IWWW and some others were heroes, but they had to play with absolute dross a lot of the time and the football was turgid, a bit like now.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Next season will be my fiftieth supporting the Gunners and while the period when I regularly went to games was topped and tailed by the 79 cup win and the two cups in 93, it is my curse that the bulk of my Saturdays were taken up watching Hillier, Morrow, Selley, Hayes, Priceetc. Brady, IWWW and some others were heroes, but they had to play with absolute dross a lot of the time and the football was turgid, a bit like now.
fair play to you mate....yes you are right about Brady he was a great favourite, a natural, one drop of his shoulder and he was past his marker... vision and passing was sublime, was gutted when he went off to Italy, although he did pick up a league title over there

JMascis666

Post by JMascis666 »

I remember the day he scored against QPR was either a New Years Eve or New Years Day, either way I was so pissed I struggled to find my way home that night.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

A "cult hero" in the sense that Willie Young, Gus Caesar and Perry Groves were i.e. their hearts were in the right place but they were mostly absolutely shit

I remember being there when he scored against QPR and we went on to lose the game. He probably would have been remembered more fondly if he'd been surrounded by quality midfielders and played as the anchor. Instead he was surrounded by equally limited players in one of the most boring, sterile Arsenal teams I can ever remember as GG entered his lobotomy days prior to getting the boot.

Sean

Post by Sean »

It was New Year's Eve 1994.

Still, I'd rather have Jensen/Groves, et al as cult players than crap like Eboue.

See? Even our crap players were better than the Cashburton-era dross that have represented out club; Marianne Chamakh, Bendtner, Denilson, etc.

Clash

Post by Clash »

SteveO 35 wrote:A "cult hero" in the sense that Willie Young, Gus Caesar and Perry Groves were i.e. their hearts were in the right place but they were mostly absolutely shit

I remember being there when he scored against QPR and we went on to lose the game. He probably would have been remembered more fondly if he'd been surrounded by quality midfielders and played as the anchor. Instead he was surrounded by equally limited players in one of the most boring, sterile Arsenal teams I can ever remember as GG entered his lobotomy days prior to getting the boot.
Agree with all that. We probably didnt get the best out of him but he was a limited player. The far more talented Rocastle was sold, Jensen was bought and things were never the same again under Graham. For £1m I dont understand why Jensen couldnt have been simply an addition rather than having to sell Rocky beforehand.

And I was also at the game he scored in. One of the most wild crowd celebrations I ever saw ... but strangely after that he lost his popularity a bit I think because there was nothing to cheer him for anymore.

Still sad for him the he missed the final in Copenhagen but we did alright without him and Wright :barscarf:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

DB10GOONER wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

That's what GG turned our midfield into. Also, never said he was great, said he was solid. He was.
A solid shit? :shock: :barscarf:

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

I wasn't there when Jensen scored.