John Jensen - your memories

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Kevin_Yahoo

John Jensen - your memories

Post by Kevin_Yahoo »

Hello there.

I'm writing an article about heroes of the Euros (it's a kind of Where Are They Now? thing) and I want to get Arsenal fans' memories of Danish star John Jensen. Any memories/stories you have - good or bad - please post them here. Doesn't even have to be a story/memory as such, could just be your general view on his time at HIghbury (and the Denmark team, if you followed his international exploits!).

I'd want to use some of the your quotes for the article, which will appear on the Yahoo Football website during the tournament. So if you don't want your comments to be used then let me know, and they won't be. All quotes will be credited to the Gooner.

Cheers,
Kevin

DB10GOONER

Re: John Jensen - your memories

Post by DB10GOONER »

When GG signed him I thought we were getting a midfielder that regularly hit 25 yard screamers. We didn't. :lol: He was solid enough in an era when many midfielders were not overly technical but offered solid play. GG signed him to replace our beloved Rocky Rocastle in central midfield, after yet another bid to sign Geoff Thomas(!!) from Crystal Palace had fallen through - GG was obsessed with Thomas! We seemed to wait forever (98 or 99 games I think?) for him to finally score for The Arsenal and when he did it was a beauty in fairness. And that was it. 1 goal. There were even t-shirts out at the time with things like "I saw John Jensen score" written on them. A decent enough player but not a world beater by any means.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Oh, and his transfer cost GG his job! :(

augie

Post by augie »

Back then it wasn't unusual for fans to have "cult hero's" but now we just have c.unts :wink:
Anyway Jensen was a favourite of mine and back in 1996 I took in a stray Labrador pup and called him "faxe" after the great dane :lol: Even looking back now I cant explain why I did it, but there was a big joke amongst the Arsenal fans about Jensen never scoring for us so I decided to name the dog faxe 8)

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:Oh, and his transfer cost GG his job! :(

It was pal lynderson's transfer that cost GG his job :cry:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:Back then it wasn't unusual for fans to have "cult hero's" but now we just have c.unts :wink:
Anyway Jensen was a favourite of mine and back in 1996 I took in a stray Labrador pup and called him "faxe" after the great dane :lol: Even looking back now I cant explain why I did it, but there was a big joke amongst the Arsenal fans about Jensen never scoring for us so I decided to name the dog faxe 8)
Cult heroes! :lol: Those were the days. For me it was Siggi Jonsson!! :shock: Called our pet Lab "Siggi". Poor old Siggi (the player, not the dog) only got 8 games, 1 goal, then perma-fucked by injury. Made Diaby look like Iron Man! :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Oh, and his transfer cost GG his job! :(

It was pal lynderson's transfer that cost GG his job :cry:
Nope. It was both. :( Lydersen's transfer was the one that broke the story, but Jensen was signed on a bung as well. The FA wouldn't accept the "one off" excuse as there were two signed through the cúnt Rune Hauge. :twisted:

amazonas

Post by amazonas »

I am half Danish and watched him play for both the national team and Arsenal, before that I also watched him play for my Danish club Brøndby, but can't remember much of that. My earliest clear memory of him is naturally the wonder goal against the Germans in the '92 Euros final!

In Denmark where traditionally football fans follow the EPL as well as the domestic league, I think most people don't remember well or are too young so that today they're of the conviction that he was not at all popular among the Arsenal fans, to the point where he was a laughing stock, but that is not my impression from speaking to local and other fans, and later on the "farce" was overshadowed by Bendtner anyway :barscarf:

He returned to Brøndby after Arsenal (which there has been a somewhat strong tradition of among former players, latest Daniel Agger and Johan Elmander), where he had another succesful stay. The main singing terrace was called Faxe-tribunen (today Sydsiden/South Side - a mini version of Dortmund's Gelbe Wand), actually a sponsored name from a soda/beer company, but in the fans' minds this was of course named after club legend John Faxe Jensen. The Lower section of the terrace has a capacity of 5.600 and is today the only section where you are still allowed to stand up. In 99/00 John acted as playing manager in Herfølge where he sensationally won the championship, but the following season he relegated them. Later he became assistant coach in Brøndby under Michael Laudrup which was one of our most succesful spells from 2002-05 where we won the double and played well in the UEFA Cup, beating Schalke over two legs with 5-2 home and 2-1 loss away, but losing then 0-1 home and 2-1 away to Barcelona. I should add that we were in the semi finals in '91 where we got 0-0 home against AS Roma but unfortunately a certain Rudi Völler scored to 2-1 in the second leg in Rome in 88th minute. It was after that season we lost Peter Schmeichel to United.

Today John is a TV commentator and perhaps not the brightest star of the bunch, but have always respected the man. Have met him a few times, very friendly guy who doesn't have any high opinions about himself and was an absolute fighter on the pitch.

Sorry for going off topic

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

99 appearances
1 fucking screamer of a goal
(Wiki stats - loved by augie)

WENGER OUT

Jon

Post by Jon »

The one and only time I bought a shirt with a players name and number. The club shop staff were so startled by my choice I had to write it down for them as they really didn't believe someone wanted 17 JENSEN . My plan was to have the shirt covered up and when he finally scored I would reveal it, proudly.
But Sod's law, couldn't get to the game when it happened.

Sean

Post by Sean »

He was a cult hero of mine too. I'd pretend I was him when I was playing football in the playground (Sad, or what? lol). Whenever I scored a goal, it was a massive event (TBF, in the end I scored much more than JJ) :lol:

What a goal he scored though:

phpBB [video]

He had a promising managerial career, which sadly went nowhere :(

ONE JOHNNY JENSEN! THERE'S ONLY ONE JOHNNY JENSEN! :barscarf:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

It was a shot from JJ, possibly on target that was deflected for the last seconds corner that led to Andy Linighans winner in the 1993 FA Cup Final replay..
Cult heroes are a rarity these these..We had The Biggest Willie ( Young) back in the late 70s

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Sean wrote:He was a cult hero of mine too. I'd pretend I was him when I was playing football in the playground (Sad, or what? lol). Whenever I scored a goal, it was a massive event (TBF, in the end I scored much more than JJ) :lol:

phpBB [video]

We lost that game 1-3 at home to QPR :roll:

JJ tried hard, worked hard, scored 1 goal, errr that's about it, oh apart from being injured and missed the Cup winners Cup Final that was played in his old hometown stadium - The Parken, in Copenhagen in 1994.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

I was there! wasn't he nicknamed faxe for his love of the aforementioned beer?

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

StuartL wrote:
Sean wrote:He was a cult hero of mine too. I'd pretend I was him when I was playing football in the playground (Sad, or what? lol). Whenever I scored a goal, it was a massive event (TBF, in the end I scored much more than JJ) :lol:

phpBB [video]

We lost that game 1-3 at home to QPR :roll:

JJ tried hard, worked hard, scored 1 goal, errr that's about it, oh apart from being injured and missed the Cup winners Cup Final that was played in his old hometown stadium - The Parken, in Copenhagen in 1994.

Yes was at the game, great goal very very average player