Modern Football Bol**cks

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GoonerMuzz

Re: Modern Football Bol**cks

Post by GoonerMuzz »

It's like the pot calling the kettle black.....I've heard someone be called racist for using that phrase, historically pots and kettles were made from iron which when put over a flame successively carbonises, hence they get blacker with age, we use terms in this country and probably in most countries which have been around for hundreds of years and literally have nothing to do with race.

A pub I know of near where my in-laws used to live has changed its name recently, originally called the black boy the sign outside had a chimney sweep on it and people claimed it was racist, so they changed the sign to a black horse, nope not good enough, they have now changed the name completely....... absolutely mental how a minority of people can get away with telling other people how to think and talk even when the things said have no relation to what those people think it does, if this carries on much longer it WILL cause serious social strife because more and more people are getting fed up of it :banghead:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

augie wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:03 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:39 pm
So I would be deemed racist if I was to say that Mo Farah is a great distance runner purely because he is of African descent? The fact I would be referring to him as an individual but some twat somewhere could totally misrepresent my statement that would see me having to apologise.

History shows that the truly great distance runners are from or have family links to continental Africa, are extremely thin and of very slight build.

At best I could be accused of stereotyping.

What started as a compliment based on fact could easily be twisted to be construed as meaning something nefarious and ugly.

I was recently challenged when I used the old fashioned term of "calling a spade a spade"

Because the person I was talking to had never heard of the phrase she immediately accused me of making a racist comment! :roll: :lol:

Should have told the stupid mare that she should be at home cooking or ironing for her family 8) :wink:
Don't!

I had a job interview once and made a similar innocuous and innocent statement when asked to describe myself. The 20 something bint didn't know what the word affable meant and accused me of making a sexist comment. I just laughed, got up from my seat and walked out! :lol:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Clummo99 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:26 pm
augie wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:
So I would be deemed racist if I was to say that Mo Farah is a great distance runner purely because he is of African descent? The fact I would be referring to him as an individual but some twat somewhere could totally misrepresent my statement that would see me having to apologise.

History shows that the truly great distance runners are from or have family links to continental Africa, are extremely thin and of very slight build.

What started as a compliment based on fact could easily be twisted to be construed as meaning something nefarious and ugly.

I was recently challenged when I used the old fashioned term of "calling a spade a spade"

Because the person I was talking to had never heard of the phrase she immediately accused me of making a racist comment! :roll: :lol:

Should have told the stupid mare that she should be at home cooking or ironing for her family 8) :wink:
Don't!

I had a job interview once and made a similar innocuous and innocent statement when asked to describe myself. The 20 something bint didn't know what the word affable meant and accused me of making a sexist comment. I just laughed, got up from my seat and walked out! :lol:
Did she think you were calling yourself “Fuc able” :lol: ?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clummo99 wrote:
augie wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:

Don't!

:shock:

Oh shit man. You fucked up. "Affable" is a slang term the snowflake generation use that means "I like to fuck 20 something bints up the shitter". :lol: :wink:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:30 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
augie wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:

Don't!

Oh shit man. You fucked up. "Affable" is a slang term the snowflake generation use that means "I like to fuck 20 something bints up the shitter". :lol: :wink:
Damn. If only I wasn't a senior citizen and was down with the yoof I'd have chosen my words more carefully. :banghead: :lol:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Wasn't it Yakubu at Portsmouth where there was a suspicion of him being much older than first thought? (Apologies for my highly racist remark there by the way :roll: ).

There have been a good few players at European clubs with the same suspicion down the years and it's got fuck all to do with racism but is an issue with birth records not being recorded accurately or even at all in certain countries which can lead to genuine and fraudulent abuses of birth dates when it comes to transfers.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Like anything it's where do you draw the line and this is where modern society has lost the plot. When Ron Atkinson thought he was off air and described Marcel Desailly as a "lazy n+++er" to my mind he got everything he deserved (or maybe not enough actually). Its a word that belongs to a bygone age thankfully and if I heard any prick in the stadium using that word, I would certainly be offended when used in that context

However, we now can't even have a laugh or a joke these days. In the mid-90s I played for a Sunday league team in Croydon where there was only me and 2 other white lads, the rest being black, and some of the white/black dressing room banter remains some of my funniest memories in playing football. Nothing was spared from apperance, musical taste, which clubs we went to, how we walked, the phrases we used - it was pure banter and never once crossed the line. However, some of the things we said to each other if they now made their way into a Whatsapp message or Twitter post would have all of us (black and white) banned and probably calls for us all to be arrested.

I still occasionally see some of those lads and can't remember a single occasion where anyone felt out with each other.

Context as always

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:34 am
Like anything it's where do you draw the line and this is where modern society has lost the plot. When Ron Atkinson thought he was off air and described Marcel Desailly as a "lazy n+++er" to my mind he got everything he deserved (or maybe not enough actually). Its a word that belongs to a bygone age thankfully and if I heard any prick in the stadium using that word, I would certainly be offended when used in that context

However, we now can't even have a laugh or a joke these days. In the mid-90s I played for a Sunday league team in Croydon where there was only me and 2 other white lads, the rest being black, and some of the white/black dressing room banter remains some of my funniest memories in playing football. Nothing was spared from apperance, musical taste, which clubs we went to, how we walked, the phrases we used - it was pure banter and never once crossed the line. However, some of the things we said to each other if they now made their way into a Whatsapp message or Twitter post would have all of us (black and white) banned and probably calls for us all to be arrested.

I still occasionally see some of those lads and can't remember a single occasion where anyone felt out with each other.

Context as always

If we are all agreed that use of the word n****r is outrageously wrong, then why do some black people call themselves by that word ? I am reminded of a line in the film Coach Carter where Samuel Jackson tells a black kid that "if a white guy used that word you would want to get up and beat him, so you using that word tells him that it is ok to use that word" - that kinda sums it up for me cos no person, black or white, should be using that word

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:13 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

Context as always

If we are all agreed that use of the word n****r is outrageously wrong, then why do some black people call themselves by that word ? I am reminded of a line in the film Coach Carter where Samuel Jackson tells a black kid that "if a white guy used that word you would want to get up and beat him, so you using that word tells him that it is ok to use that word" - that kinda sums it up for me cos no person, black or white, should be using that word
I don't even want to reopen that debate..........all I will say is that if it used in the context that 'Big Ron' used it, it most certainly is offensive. Its like the whole thing about Spurs referring to themselves as "**** army". I don't care if they sing it to their heart's content..........all i know is that if I called a Jewish person a '****' in the style that he meant his insult to Desailly, I'd quite rightly expect to be canned for it

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Big Ron was probably a better manager than Arteta. :shock:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:16 am
augie wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:13 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

Context as always

I don't even want to reopen that debate..........all I will say is that if it used in the context that 'Big Ron' used it, it most certainly is offensive. Its like the whole thing about Spurs referring to themselves as "**** army". I don't care if they sing it to their heart's content..........all i know is that if I called a Jewish person a '****' in the style that he meant his insult to Desailly, I'd quite rightly expect to be canned for it
I agree, with certain words it is the context and the intention behind the words usage that can determine if it is racist or stereotyping or just banter that might not be to everyone's taste. For me some words are racist in any context, particularly the "N" word. But then there are black (can I say that word?!) People who use the "N" word as a term of endearment and believe that are taking ownership of the word away from racists. I'm not too sure I agree with that tbh....

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:36 am
Big Ron was probably a better manager than Arteta. :shock:

:rubchin:

True. :lol:

John F

Post by John F »

SteveO 35 wrote:

Context as always
I agree with every word especially about Ron Atkinson.I worked in a very diverse work force in the eighties at Kingston Hospital and the piss taking that went on between us would of got everybody the sack now days.Great memories of some fantastic people.30 years later when I was working in an office for a national charity I got reprimanded for making a joke about VD.Inappropriate humour apparently.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

MODERN BOXING BOLLOX !!

Up watching the Canello vs Saunders fight and DAZN have got that scrawny bird Kate Abdo hosting their coverage.

WTF does she know about boxing!

They're worming their way in everywhere. :cussing:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Going back to the sixties I spent a lot of time working on the beach in Spain . When I came back I went to train with my old team and our winger was from the Carribbean . In the showers it was obvious that I was darker than him as we compared our arms . He then flicked his towel at my arse and yelled but what about the white bit..

Nobody took offence and why should they ?