tourist fans

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
REB

tourist fans

Post by REB »

yes we have all seen the half/half scarfs, the selfies and we love to blame the tourist fan for diluting the atmosphere etc but ask yourself this , how many season ticket holders do we have ?

40000 out 57000 are season ticket holders . how come no one blames them for the atmosphere, lack of protest etc etc.

sk-gtfo

Re: tourist fans

Post by sk-gtfo »

REB wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:58 am
yes we have all seen the half/half scarfs, the selfies and we love to blame the tourist fan for diluting the atmosphere etc but ask yourself this , how many season ticket holders do we have ?

40000 out 57000 are season ticket holders . how come no one blames them for the atmosphere, lack of protest etc etc.
It is their civil right to be idiots.

:twisted:

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Most ST holders only go to a fraction of the matches. They either rent or sell the seat for all or part of the season.

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

I suppose it's understandable when the product served up is so awful. Quite a few I know are only hanging on to their ST for when Wenger is gone.

BUT they are a huge part of the problem as they are doing nothing to help us get rid of him

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

REB wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:58 am

I have done many times on here.
I actually think anyone who has renewed their season ticket in the past 2 or 3 seasons is a selfish bastard who is just as much to blame for this mess as anyone.

If you support the club you should be wanting to force change not continue to accept mediocrity.

perrygrovesworld

Post by perrygrovesworld »

The vast majority of season ticket holders don't go anymore, they just sell their tickets on Ticket Exchange and are waiting for a change of manager and/or owner. I only went six times last season and to the semi final and final. Exchanged my ticket for all the other games. The real figure for season ticket attendees each game would be significantly lower than the number of season ticket holders.

General

Post by General »

Considering the long waiting list why would you want to give up your season ticket especially if you have a good seat. You have to be a resolute Wenger out to do this and there aren't many NickFs out there I'm afraid. I understand they are part of the problem but 40k fans are not going to chuck in their STs all at once to achieve the desired effect. If you give it up somebody else will pick it up. We as a fanbase are too divided and the expectation that people should give up their STs in droves is unrealistic. We can't even get people to marches because they don't want to give up their pre-match beer routine.

augie

Post by augie »

I'm sick of this bullshit excuse that tourists will take over if real fans don't take up the tickets - how hard would it be for the real fans to organize a protest at a home game where they either refuse to attend at all, organize a late entrance to the stadium (say the 10th minute to signify a decade of decline) or at an agreed time in the match the fans could turn round and face the directors and chant at them ? There are people on here that are working their nuts off to try and affect change, but too many fans are bottling out by saying that many other fans and the tourists wont partake - maybe other fans are saying the same about you, and if those fans put their shoulder to the wheel it would create a unstoppable momentum that would be impossible to ignore ? At the end of the day, we really, really need a massive show of anger and refusal to accept this shit at a home televised game - if people are really fed up and really care about the direction this club is heading, then is it too much to leave your seat empty for ONE game and go down to the pub to watch the game in the pub instead ?

General

Post by General »

You are not going to get thousands of people to a march even if this club was fighting relegation so for the umpteenth time people need to forget about this. The flipfloppers will change mode as soon as there's a positive result and anybody who came to the protests last season would've seen first hand the difficulties in attracting numbers. Forget about this apathetic fanbase, Planes, billboards etc is the way to go. Just look at recent history of football protests and it's always a few hundreds at best. Charlton fans managed to round up around 300-350fans to go Denmark to protest against their owner and this is a club in dire straights.

Wenger would happily play in a silent half empty stadium if it keeps away his detractors. Financially we are not as reliant on matchday income because of the new TV money.

augie

Post by augie »

General wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:52 am
You are not going to get thousands of people to a march even if this club was fighting relegation so for the umpteenth time people need to forget about this. The flipfloppers will change mode as soon as there's a positive result and anybody who came to the protests last season would've seen first hand the difficulties in attracting numbers. Forget about this apathetic fanbase, Planes, billboards etc is the way to go. Just look at recent history of football protests and it's always a few hundreds at best. Charlton fans managed to round up around 300-350fans to go Denmark to protest against their owner and this is a club in dire straights.

Wenger would happily play in a silent half empty stadium if it keeps away his detractors. Financially we are not as reliant on matchday income because of the new TV money.

It's not about matchday fcuking income - staying away from a game would be a pr disaster for the club and for wenker. Can you imagine the post match questions after a display of opposition by the fans on that scale ? Can you imagine the message it will send when fans would rather leave their seat empty, that to attend a game that they have actually paid for ?

General

Post by General »

augie wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:07 am
General wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:52 am

It's not about matchday fcuking income - staying away from a game would be a pr disaster for the club and for wenker. Can you imagine the post match questions after a display of opposition by the fans on that scale ? Can you imagine the message it will send when fans would rather leave their seat empty, that to attend a game that they have actually paid for ?
Some people are talking about hitting the club in the pockets too so it's a bit of both. Let's be honest, we've been here before with the stay away protest'. It happened last season against West Ham and the late entry protest also never got anywhere. The fraud blamed the low attendance on the game being played midweek. As soon as we picked up a couple of wins the flip floppers went back in and that's the reality. So no I can't imagine it because it will never happen. I've been there, taken part and witnessed it with my own eyes. For every fan willing to make a stance there are 10x as many AKBs, flip floppers or simply downright apathetic fans. This is why I am all for the plane protests and billboards. It gains worldwide media attention with very little manpower involvement and the evidence suggests this is what got to the fraud the most last season.

brucers

Post by brucers »

Getting enough fans will always be a problem for reasons stated above. The best way is embarrass Wenger and Kranky through media attention. Business men hate bad publicity, hit these greedy gits where it hurts - in the pocket. Bad results will help too, so protests at away games could be productive (but also counter productive!) At least any protest is not dispersed around the ground as it is at home games.
Last edited by brucers on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

General wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:31 am
Considering the long waiting list why would you want to give up your season ticket especially if you have a good seat. You have to be a resolute Wenger out to do this and there aren't many NickFs out there I'm afraid. I understand they are part of the problem but 40k fans are not going to chuck in their STs all at once to achieve the desired effect. If you give it up somebody else will pick it up. We as a fanbase are too divided and the expectation that people should give up their STs in droves is unrealistic. We can't even get people to marches because they don't want to give up their pre-match beer routine.
This is over exaggerated by the club (waiting list), even 2 years back when I stopped going I heard from friends who still had ST's (at that time) that the club were getting quite aggressive in getting people to renew, phoning up and saying if you drop your ST you move to the back of the queue etc. all sounded very desparate to me.

There were also a lot of people who rent their tickets last season who couldn't shift them for pretty much any of the games against weaker sides, this will have made them think twice about renewing this season, I suspect the waiting list is at a record low now, also remember being on the waiting list doesn't mean the person will buy a ST when offered, most people especially now will probably turn the chance down anyway.

Sadly though there are a lot of fans out there who seem to just accept mediocrity and go to the game more to chat to their mates or whatever than watch the football, personally I don't get that, you can chat to your mate down the pub or somewhere and it will be a lot cheaper!, they do not help matters either but I doubt they will fill the stadium once everyone else has finally got fed up with the state of play.

Just got to hope someone can shift the regime or I'm afraid it's decades in the wilderness to come.. :x

General

Post by General »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:05 am
General wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:31 am
This is over exaggerated by the club (waiting list), even 2 years back when I stopped going I heard from friends who still had ST's (at that time) that the club were getting quite aggressive in getting people to renew, phoning up and saying if you drop your ST you move to the back of the queue etc. all sounded very desparate to me.

There were also a lot of people who rent their tickets last season who couldn't shift them for pretty much any of the games against weaker sides, this will have made them think twice about renewing this season, I suspect the waiting list is at a record low now, also remember being on the waiting list doesn't mean the person will buy a ST when offered, most people especially now will probably turn the chance down anyway.

Sadly though there are a lot of fans out there who seem to just accept mediocrity and go to the game more to chat to their mates or whatever than watch the football, personally I don't get that, you can chat to your mate down the pub or somewhere and it will be a lot cheaper!, they do not help matters either but I doubt they will fill the stadium once everyone else has finally got fed up with the state of play.

Just got to hope someone can shift the regime or I'm afraid it's decades in the wilderness to come.. :x
It's an aggressive marketing strategy every club employs. You can get a season ticket by sidestepping the waiting list but it won't be cheap. The cheapest tickets always go back to those on the waiting list. There are over 80k on the list and remember this in itself is a money making scheme as people have to pay to get on it and it's a one off fee so you don't have to keep renewing. The club is also now enticing people with silver memberships.

A lot of fans simply cannot do away with the routine of going to games, win, draw or lose. As I mentioned, AKBs, flipfloppers, apathetic fans outnumber the resolute Wenger out fans by a significant amount and this is not going to change anytime soon. Relying on fans to dig is out of this mess is an exercise in futility.
Last edited by General on Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:15 am
I suppose it's understandable when the product served up is so awful. Quite a few I know are only hanging on to their ST for when Wenger is gone.

BUT they are a huge part of the problem as they are doing nothing to help us get rid of him

Yes, I also know quite a number of Gooners doing that. It doesn't help they should either go or give up their ST and fuckthefuckoff. You can't have it both ways.